living the dream in bang saray!

sesdaman

Are you asking about Bang Saray or Sattahip? They aren't really the same.

I find Bang Saray nice enough for a walk along the beach after lunch and I often drive down there for that purpose, but I soon get bored after 30 minutes or so. I cant imagine what people do if they live there (apart perhaps from become alcoholics).

Sattahip town I dont like at all but there are some nice enough beaches nearby. Again for me they are good for a 30 minute stroll.

Yes, they are not the same. Bang Saray is a beautiful place that I like to visit every two weeks from Pattaya. Very peaceful, very quiet. it is this same peace & quiet that would never let me live there. I need more to do, places to go, people to see. Someday it will be another Pattaya, but I will enjoy it now for visits.

• Like 1

As mentioned above, depends on what area you are talking about. Bang Saray is very nice. Great beach, some nice restaurants on the beach, small business district, relatively easy access to Pattaya. Depends on what you are looking for. It's a much quieter area than Pattaya. And many live there for just that reason. There are many different areas to live in. Near the beach, closer to the town of Bang Saray, and across Suk...lots of places to live.

Sattahip is more of a navy town. Very much a Thai style town. And just a few kilos down the road from Bang Saray.

It's a nice part of Thailand. Many live in these areas and love it.

• Like 1

I have a condo I am selling in Bang Sare - nice place to live actually or even as a vacation home.

I am selling because I am relocating. If interested in this PM me

Do you have more details about the condo?

Edited by Lite Beer
E Mail Removed

On an aside, what would it cost to rent a secure, and sparsely furnished studio or 1 BR in Bang Saray for a year, to be used as a weekend retreat from BKK?

I like the idea of "boring" after dealing with downtown BKK all week, but I wouldn't get to use it more than one or two weekends a month. Still- I'd leave a set of clothes, etc so I don't have to schlep it all down on a Friday and repack it on a Sunday.

Edited by impulse

I live about half way between Bang Sarey and Sattahip . When I moved here Bang Sarey was quite civilized, very quiet, some nice girly bars. It has been 'upgraded' with new builds and new condo's. Now I rarely go there, it has become very bland.

I have noticed that in the last couple of years that the volume of traffic between Sattahip and Pattaya has increased dramatically, mostly during morning and evening commuting times. The standard of driving has deteriorated considerably. With the opening of the new waterpark and the increased popularity of Nong Nooch + a couple of new resorts, tourist buses will increase in numbers. Their driving standard is aggressive and careless.

If you do not have a serious hobby/responsibility there is not much in the way of Falang entertainment, apart from sitting in the bar and yakking.I keep busy caring for my dogs and keeping my property clean and tidy so do not have a lot of spare time for bars ( I am very boring, I suppose). Sattahip has a fairly large Tesco + many hardware shops, a good bakery and some reasonable restaurants. It is a Navy town and one does not see many Falangs, on the whole the populace around here is friendly and honest.Between Bang Sarey and Sattahip there is a small village called Dow Tan(phonetic spelling) ,there are Bars/Karaoke establishments there for servicing the troops, as there are in Sattahip, they are accommodating to Falang, A new bakery has opened in Dow Tan, the owner speaks English, so easy to purchase food. Not far is a small town called Bang Chan, on the way to Rayong. There are some falang friendly girly bars there, also a large Tesco.

There is a lot of new development in the area, So one would expect that the volume of traffic will increase yet again. There are some properties near where I live that are for rent, some at a very reasonable rate. They are new builds , unfurnished, no a/c, 3 beds, no Falang neighbours. Pattaya , with all the shopping convenience, is 25 kl from my home.

As has been stated in other posts there are some good beaches, some fairly decent, quiet bars/restuarants in Bang Sarey and nearby Ban Amphur

I like living where I am.

• Like 1

I recently purchased and moved into a beautiful house located on the beach with a beautiful panoramic view of the Gulf of Thailand. (The view of many fireworks was nice last night.).

Not much to do in Bang Saray compared to BKK or Pattaya, but I enjoy the peace and (mostly) quiet, and when I get too bored I always have my condo in BKK.

Just across the street from my house are three excellent seafood restaurants where much of my dinner was still swimming a few minutes before I eat it. I also enjoy walking on the piers when the fishing boats are unloading their catch.

Can anyone in Bang Saray suggest any bars or other venues where farang-friendly girls are available?

I'm a Norwegian living in Bang sare for almost 7 years now...

The reason is very simple; Its more quiet than Pattaya and Jomtien.

If you looking for a redlight district, this is not for you..., there are very few bars with that option.

If you want good farang food, this is the place!

Several restaurants is fighting over customers by serving top of the notch food.

Its not expencive either wink.png

The nearby navy-base has beaches witch you wont find around Pattaya, but only a couple is open to farang.

The water-quality on those beaches is MUCH better than Pattaya and Jomtien, but thats a easy one, eh...?

Its like walking into a postcard or travel-poster... (Hat sai kiew)

Prices for renting house/condo is about half of Pattaya-prices (long-term).

Crime is low...

The village is growing fast, so if youre a buyer, you better hurry before the prices rise even more wink.png

Its easy to recommend if you like laidback life wink.png

Any names for this good restaurants?

Its nice to get some interesting comments, and I guess its very much down to what the individual wants! As most of you seem to know your area, where would you recommend for a nice quiet place, near a decent international school, and do these places exist

I have a condo I am selling in Bang Sare - nice place to live actually or even as a vacation home.

I am selling because I am relocating. If interested in this PM me

Do you have more details about the condo?

If its Beach Mountain, you would do better to raffle it at 50 Satang a ticket....

Bang Saray 15 years ago.

When the neon-lights of Pattaya became too bright for me, I went to Bang Saray for a break. Only 25 Km's south of Pattaya, Rural Thailand at it's best. Peace and quiet. I could stay there for a week without even seeing a single Farang. Those were the days.

Today, city-planners have decided, that Bang Saray must become "little-Pattaya". = Pattaya/Jomtien overcrowded, over- traffic-ed and over polluted.

The outcome is predictable.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. I guess the fact is we're all different, in what we want etc etc. Its now up to me to decide! and will do as was suggested, spend as much time as I can in an area, before deciding, so will narrow down to my two areas, unless someone can tell me something encouraging about the 'dark side'. Is it really that bad now?

Cheers all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are just about to move down that way, and would definitely love to learn about restaurants that people recommend!

We've had plenty of great meals at Rimhad Seafood, and more recently next door at Ao Talay

We found the Bang Saray Club to be great for a boozy lunch by the beach

From a mate's recommendation we had dinner at The Bakery tonight, although I suspect it will be more of a breakfast place

I'm planning to try the Italian place for dinner tomorrow... Are there any other recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Bang Saray and Ban Amphur (5 kilo's north of Bang Saray) are very nice and relaxing.

Pattaya proper is only 18 kilometers north on the Sukhumvit Highway.

These places are not for red light nite life. But there are some general farang bars without the girlie action.

Unfortunately Bang Saray is quickly losing the Thai Fishing Village country atmosphere.

But Bang Saray and Ban Amphur both are still a long way from being Pattaya style.

Most farangs that live there prefer the laid back lifestyle instead of the Pattaya "in your face" life.

There are a number of Lady beer bars that cater to farangs in Ban Chang which is a few kiloeters down the highway from Utapao Airport (formerly a large US airbase from the Vietnam war era).

There are now condo's, apartments, and homes available to rent in Bang Saray. Homes on the water in the fishing village area.

About 10,000 to 15,000 THB for nice accomodations. Even cheaper if staying in an apartment.

Just be careful of the scam to pay a higher electric and water rates than the regular meter. I have seen it done even in Bang Saray by landloards many times.

Western food is hit and miss. Many western restaurants come and go. But Seafood and Thai food is Great and reasonably priced there.

Beaches in Bang Saray are ok, but narrow and close to the fishing village. The beach at the north end of the town is good, but have to walk from where the road turns toward the Sukhuvit highway. Go to the Thai Navy Beach or Ban Ampur for better cleaner beaches and waters.

To enjoy that area a farang would need to have a car. A motorcycle only would be dangerous to ride Sukhumvit regularly. Especially at night.

A motorbike for in town local transport only.

That area in my opinion is close enougn to shopping and excitement of Pattaya, yet far enough (still) to enjoy a decent life (for now)

Edited by KimoMax

Thanx for all your imput, am new to the forum and theres some good comments, with some pretty amusing ones as well!

Another question, I'm sure its been asked before thouth, so please forgive me. The cost of living, what would an average price be for electric, water, pool and garden maintenance per month in a 3 bed villa? Just trying to get my head around the REAL cost of living!! I know that a lot depends on our own choices re food, bars, girls etc, but its the real life costs I'm trying to get my head around. Thanx guys