Man drowns after landing big catch while spearfishing off Phuket’s Bang Tao Beach

Lite Beer

Man drowns after landing big catch while spearfishing off Phuket’s Bang Tao Beach

Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 38-year-old man drowned at Bang Tao Beach after catching a 10kg fish while spearfishing. The large fish dragged him underwater, drowning him.

Roarsak Jattuwong, 38, was spearfishing yesterday morning (December 31) around 11am when he was dragged under the surface.

Roarsak’s friend managed to help him to shore, but he then lost consciousness. He was given CPR at the scene and was taken to Thalang Hospital, where he later died.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/man-drowns-after-landing-big-catch-while-spearfishing-off-phuket%E2%80%99s-bang-tao-beach-43764.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-01-01

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a diver so I am ANTI-spear fishing... Now the fish 'bite' back, can't blame them thumbsup.gif

Very sad the guy lost his life, but in all honesty: som nam na! I know it is virtually unheard of (not only in Thailand), but a little thinking and logical reasoning might help whistling.gif

LivinginKata, on 01 Jan 2014 - 17:01, said:
JoeThePoster, on 01 Jan 2014 - 16:38, said:

Is a 10kg fish really capable of doing this?

I very much doubt it. Must be more to this incident. Maybe out of his depth, can't swim, panic .... and why did he not let go of the spear gun.

Old Croc, on 01 Jan 2014 - 17:37, said:Quote
JoeThePoster, on 01 Jan 2014 - 16:38, said:Quote

Is a 10kg fish really capable of doing this?

I've speared fish around this size with a gidgie (Hawaiian sling) while snorkelling, and had a lot of trouble getting them up from the depths. Almost ran out of breath on one occasion I remember. I didn't want to let go and lose my spear.

I don't think you ever done spearfishing, LivinginKata.

Old Croc, is right....very difficult to let your catch go.......and at that moment you don't think of the

Consequences.

Nothing to do with his swimming skills or panic.

It's the excitement that counts.

Anyway.....I'm really sorry for his death.

Edited by Costas2008
  • Like 2

I am a diver so I am ANTI-spear fishing... Now the fish 'bite' back, can't blame them thumbsup.gif

Very sad the guy lost his life, but in all honesty: som nam na! I know it is virtually unheard of (not only in Thailand), but a little thinking and logical reasoning might help whistling.gif

I am a little confused and also as a diver myself I fail to see the connotation between being a diver and therefore anti spearfishing.

I have to presume that you must also be a vegetarian.

I am a diver and therefor eat no fish or other seafood.

• Like 1

I am a little confused and also as a diver myself I fail to see the connotation between being a diver and therefore anti spearfishing.

But your family who rely on your diving profession as an income and a salary eat fish. Hypocritical isn't it?

I'm a diver too, and eat fish or seafood.

And I'm sorry for this guy and didn't come to my head this bulls_h_it idiocy: JulesMad - "fish bite back" or "som nam na"

Shame on you mad Jules.

a 10 kilo queenfish is very powerful and could pull a small diver under. Unfortunately many spearfishermen have drowned this way. I have seen a few big queenfish arond Phuket. What usually happens is the line on the speargun gets tangled around the divers legs and the fish goes under a rock. It happened to me in the Maldives in 1955.Fortunately I had a knife and cut myself free.

• Like 1

10kg isn't a bad sized fish...22 lbs.

Caught some rod fishing and some breeds can put up quite a fight and easily pull a swimmer under.

But if he was alive when they got him to shore perhaps it was more than drowning.

Tragic.....

But your family who rely on your diving profession as an income and a salary eat fish. Hypocritical isn't it?

Nothing to do with hypocritical, just my principles. And I am not asking others to adhere to my principles.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1