Sanyo Oven/stove

whimsy

I've been thinking about buying an oven to cook roasts, cookies, pizza and so on. Most I've looked at are 20,000B plus, but many shops also stock a Sanyo and/or a Whirlpool model for around 7000 baht. It has a gas fired oven and 3 gas rings on the stove top. The oven has a thermometer in the door reading up to 250 degrees C.

Has anyone tried one of these? Can it reaach at least 220C to allow me to cook the type of things I want to?

Recommended or not?

I have had one of these for years. it takes some practice but they are not bad. If you aren't doing anything commmercial and can learn to adjust the temp yourself (the gauge is just that, a gauge--it doesn't set the temp itself, you had to play with the knob to get the adjustment right).

It doesn't broil, but other than that I have been baking cakes, cookies and pies in mine for years.

So, its not great, but for the money, its not bad.

yeah...I've had one of the Whirlpool units (3 x gas burners on top with an extra electric burner and an oven good sized for a small turkey) for years with the temp. indicator on the oven window (scale up to 250 C but never gets beyond 220). Pretty much OK for anything that you need it for...for delicate purposes like cakes and etc. just experiment...and you will get what you need.

I use it for roasts and for any other baked dishes...the oven is usually either full on or off...you got to modulate by eye (look at the flame level under the drip pan)

but...you can get the hang...other than fancy arsed controlled arrangements in condos in BKK you ain't got a lot of choice...

it is solid and probably the best you can get upcountry...(make sure that you store your gas bottle properly...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I've had the Sanyo one for years. It's adequate and (according to the gauge) reaches a temperature of just over 200 deg. The main problem that I have found is the insulation: there isn't any. Therefore, keep any items away from the sides, front or back when cooking. If your using a flexible gas tube, make sure it's not touching the back of the unit, preferably restrained. Obviously keep children away from it whilst it's on and during cool down.

we are on are second sanyo cooker(i say we but what i know about cooking you could put on the back of a postage stamp) we had the first one for about 8 years all it ever needed was to clean the auto switch,we gave it away to friends about 2 years ago and has far has i know its still ok . the new one we bought from makro for about 5,500baht ( i think its still this price) the new one is a replica of the old one so the model is tried and tested,

my wife has just said"sanyo dee" and she should know

I've had the Sanyo one for years. It's adequate and (according to the gauge) reaches a temperature of just over 200 deg. The main problem that I have found is the insulation: there isn't any. Therefore, keep any items away from the sides, front or back when cooking. If your using a flexible gas tube, make sure it's not touching the back of the unit, preferably restrained. Obviously keep children away from it whilst it's on and during cool down.

I have found this to be a problem with the front of our Whirlpool unit...OK for back and sides. Don't let any toddlers get near it when in operation.

also real nice for baked pasta dishes like lasagne, I might add...the oven just big enough for a large baking dish...which is also good for a load of ribs (a family favorite) or two good sized chickens...

you will expand your culinary horizon with a cooker with an oven considerably...there is only so much stove top stir fry that one can eat...a good investment...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

OK, seems to be a thumbs up for the Whirlpool/Sanyo. I think I'll go ahead and get one. I prefer the white of the Whirlpool over the blue Sanyo, so it will probably be the Whirlpool, though it may just come down to price. I think it was the Sanyo I saw at Carrefour recently for 5,990B and I should check Makro as well. I haven't seen the version with an electric hotplate. All models I've seen just have a blank space where one could go and 3 gas burners in the other spots.

Do these just use the same gas bottle as the standard Thai 2 ring burner cooker? We have one of those already. Can I run it off the same bottle with a T-adaptor? Maybe I'll just retire the 2 ring cooker and redeploy the gas bottle.

Tutsiwarrior's comment indicated the Whirlpool may have slightly better insulation at the sides and back. Any other comments on Sanyo versus Whirlpool or are they as identical as they look?

Lastly, if anyone in the Chiang Mai area has one they want to sell, PM me with your price. Thanks

Do these just use the same gas bottle as the standard Thai 2 ring burner cooker? We have one of those already. Can I run it off the same bottle with a T-adaptor? Maybe I'll just retire the 2 ring cooker and redeploy the gas bottle.

The same type of gas bottle and regulator. I personally would recommend a separate bottle for the oven and if at all possible place the gas bottle outside the house as close as possible to where the oven will be positioned. A 25mm size hole drilled in the wall should be adequate for the gas pipe.

I don't know about the Sanyo but the Whirlpool has two different stove top burner flame nozzle arrangements, small one for boiling eggs like and a large one like for a wok on fire...distributes the flame differently for different applications. The burners also come apart easily for cleaning. And the top has a hinged cover which is handy if you are pressed for counter space when the unit is not in service.

Sumpin' else to consider...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

We have had both of the mentioned units and now using a Lucky Flame model made here in Thailand which seems to be made of stronger material. Have not used the oven so can not say how it works but believe the whole unit is better than the Sanyo (have not had good luck with anything under that brand name - all built to minimal standards IMO). Will add that the top burners produce a much better/stronger heat then the other units we had. Price is about the same. Website

LF-350.jpg

spot on, lop...a picture's worth a 1000 words. You can see what I mentioned about the different burner diameters (a must have) and can see what size baking dish the oven can accommodate. All of the products mentioned on this thread appear to have the same dimensions...the one in the picture looks just like my Whirlpool but without the electric stove top burner...

power to the people!...let's have roast garlic chicken with Paxo stuffin' and tatties tonite...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

spot on, lop...a picture's worth a 1000 words. You can see what I mentioned about the different burner diameters (a must have) and can see what size baking dish the oven can accommodate. All of the products mentioned on this thread appear to have the same dimensions...the one in the picture looks just like my Whirlpool but without the electric stove top burner...

power to the people!...let's have roast garlic chicken with Paxo stuffin' and tatties tonite...

brussels sprouts, carrots and bisto gravy simmerin' on the stove top I might add...

We have had both of the mentioned units and now using a Lucky Flame model made here in Thailand which seems to be made of stronger material. Have not used the oven so can not say how it works but believe the whole unit is better than the Sanyo (have not had good luck with anything under that brand name - all built to minimal standards IMO). Will add that the top burners produce a much better/stronger heat then the other units we had. Price is about the same.

Lopburi, thanks for the tip on the Lucky Flame. That is the brand of two burner cooker we have already. Had not seen them around anywhere. Called Lucky Flame to ask where I can buy one in Chiang Mai. For others information, Siam TV sells them here. I'll go and see if they have one in stock and check the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went to Siam TV and had a look at what they had. There is a larger range of models than I had previously thought.

1. Lucky Flame. Don't stock the oven and won't get it in without a definite order. Only stock the gas burners.

2. Whirlpool. 3 burner range with warming drawer. 7000B

3. Whirlpool. 4 burner range, warming drawer and oven light. 8000B

4. Sanyo. 3 burner range no warming drawer. 5500B

5. Sanyo. 3 burner range, no warming drawer. Oven with both top and bottom gas burners. The top burner looks like it could be used for grilling and browning. 6600B

6. Mirage. 3 burner range, thermostat controlled oven. Nice tight fitting door. 7000B

Also a 3 burner range + 3500W electric oven for about 11,000B. I forget the brand name.

Out of the gas ovens available. I am leaning toward either the Sanyo with 2 oven burners for its grill function or the Mirage for its thermostat and tightly closing door. All units look very similar and probably come out of the same factory. None of the range burners on these look as good as the separate Lucky Flame 2 burner we have already so perhaps I'll keep that in use too.

In our experience the Lucky Flame burner can be run much hotter which is important for wok fry - but we did get along with the Sanyo type for a number of years. The french fries are greatly improved since the change to Lucky Flame. But can not speak for oven as don't use it. Actually I don't do the wok fry either. :o

Well I went to Siam TV and had a look at what they had. There is a larger range of models than I had previously thought.

1. Lucky Flame. Don't stock the oven and won't get it in without a definite order. Only stock the gas burners.

2. Whirlpool. 3 burner range with warming drawer. 7000B

3. Whirlpool. 4 burner range, warming drawer and oven light. 8000B

4. Sanyo. 3 burner range no warming drawer. 5500B

5. Sanyo. 3 burner range, no warming drawer. Oven with both top and bottom gas burners. The top burner looks like it could be used for grilling and browning. 6600B

6. Mirage. 3 burner range, thermostat controlled oven. Nice tight fitting door. 7000B

Also a 3 burner range + 3500W electric oven for about 11,000B. I forget the brand name.

Out of the gas ovens available. I am leaning toward either the Sanyo with 2 oven burners for its grill function or the Mirage for its thermostat and tightly closing door. All units look very similar and probably come out of the same factory. None of the range burners on these look as good as the separate Lucky Flame 2 burner we have already so perhaps I'll keep that in use too.

we got a Whirlpool with top grilling burners in the oven (with oven light and warming drawer - good for storage of pots, etc) and I could never get them to operate properly. There was even a bizarre hand operated rotisserie arrangement provided. Everything works OK just using the bottom oven burners for straight roasting/baking.

In thailand beware ovens with thermostatic temperature control...and little in the way of customer support. The control equipment is the first to get buggered and replacement parts, like everywhere are hard to find. When found and fitted you may be looking at the price of a new stove plus all the associated aggravation. I'd say 'keep it simple...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 3 months later...

I've had two of them now. I've got the one woth the top burner in the oven as well that you can use for a grill. I've never had any problems getting ours hot enough. Most regulators on the gas bottles can be adjusted to give more or less gass.

As has been said be careful if you have kids as the do get very hot