How to make your Thai Electrical system safe

Forkinhades

I understand that normal Thai electrical is dangerous and I'm very greatful for this oportunity to learn how I shall make a safe installation in my house.

Not being electrical engineer educated in GB i must ask you about meaning of M.E.N.

I guess that ELCB is an safety breaker? Is it enough with such a breaker set on 30mA if you can accept total darkness after a fault?

Another question: Aren't all transformers Y-coupled on LV-side and the neutral point earthed? In that case neutral and earth have the same potential and all you have to do is to connect incoming neutral with earth bar? Thus you can omit the earth rod?

@Kwanting.

MEN is very similar to UK PME. Look here for more info, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system#Comparison_of_Earthing_systems Thailand is TNC-S with MEN.

ELCB (old term, call it an RCD) is what you might call a Safety Breaker, yes, a single unit on the front end will give adequate protection.

Yes, transformers are Y with a grounded neutral, but N and E are not at the same potential unless you're very close to the transformer. Think about volt drop in the neutral (ohms law). N can be quite a large potential above 'real' earth at your location (enough to feel sometimes).

The multiple earth rods (the M in MEN) help to hold the neutral closer to real ground and reduce touch voltages, in the UK this grounding is provided by the DNO (supply authority), in Thailand it is provided by you, you cannot omit the local rod.

Just a thought about earthing rods, prompted by the comment in another thread about using a short screw in the floor as an earth wire connection when nothing better is avaiable :

If a house has steel roof supports which are welded, in the roof space, to the rebar contained in the house concrete supporting posts would an earth wire connected to this steelwork be a possible alternative ? (similar to the old method of using a buried metal water pipe).

Thinking about it though probably won't work as the rebar is shielded from the ground soil by concrete.

Edited by thomasteve

Just a thought about earthing rods, prompted by the comment in another thread about using a short screw in the floor as an earth wire connection when nothing better is avaiable :

If a house has steel roof supports which are welded, in the roof space, to the rebar contained in the house concrete supporting posts would an earth wire connected to this steelwork be a possible alternative ? (similar to the old method of using a buried metal water pipe).

Thinking about it though probably won't work as the rebar is shielded from the ground soil by concrete.

It actually works very well, our roof trusses measure as a better ground than our rod!

Google "Ufer ground".

That said, Ufers are not recognised by PEA, they want to see a copper coloured rod sticking out of the ground.

• Like 1

It actually works very well, our roof trusses measure as a better ground than our rod!

Google "Ufer ground".

That said, Ufers are not recognised by PEA, they want to see a copper coloured rod sticking out of the ground.

Very interesting to learn about that and i will use it temporarily until a proper copper ground rod can be installed.

Also, easy and simple to wire up as the roof trusses are readily accessible just above the consumer unit / fusebox.

Is it still good practice/requirement to earth bond any other exposed metal work such as stainless steel sink tops, metal baths, pipes etc. ?

Is it still good practice/requirement to earth bond any other exposed metal work such as stainless steel sink tops, metal baths, pipes etc. ?

There has been a lot of discussion on the UK electrical forums regarding when to bond and when not to. There are times when bonding the sink can actually be more of a hazard than not bonding it.

Forky is your man for the latest accepted practice, but the need to bond sinks and the like is much lower now than it was in the bonding heyday 10 years ago.

If you have metallic pipework, it should be bonded to the main earth terminal, but apart from that I wouldn't bother.

• 1 month later...

Agreed electricity is indeed dangerous, and really should be left to the experts. Which is not an easy thing to do here in LOS.

The advise given here is mainly for the 'fralang' to have a good understanding of how things should be done, and to make sure the 'contractor' installs accordingly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

+1 I agree 100% with what Bignose says. Unfortunately finding a remotely competent sparks is easier said than done even in the Big City, out in the sticks, forget it.

Domestic wiring is not rocket science and is certainly within the capabilities of a competent DIYer following a few safety rules.

I remember the thread Bignose refers to, it did indeed become apparent that the OP was not in the "competent DIYer" class.

What to do? If we decide not to offer any electrical advice someone could die, if we offer advice to someone and they mess up, someone could die.

• Like 2

My only comment after experiencing this situation in two different houses and for which I posted a couple of years ago about it, make sure the "Hot and Neutral" lines are not reversed at every wall socket and light fixture in the house. One way to check this is using a "non contact electrical tester" plug an simple multi-plug extension cord with an "ON/OFF" switch into each wall socket. Flip the switch on the extension to "OFF". Using the checker, see if any of the plugs on the extension still has a voltage indicated. If so, strong chances are the wires in the wall socket maybe switched. Turn it on and you should see strong voltage indicated. Also make sure your extension is correctly wired too. I really did find one of those backwards too. Check each light fixture also. Fans are a little more difficult and maybe one of the experts here can offer more advice.

I found at the last house all the wires in the electrical box had been reversed. It really needed to be rewired correctly. I posted pictures of it and Crossy may remember. So the electrician went out to the meter and switched the wires at the pole. Only problem is the next guy who tries to do it right will get it wrong!

Edited by Mrjlh