Are Bangkok Bank ATM cards accepted in Yangon ATMs?

simon43

When I was previously in Yangon, ATMs were just being installed and I was able to withdraw cash from my Myanmar bank account.

Although news reports said that Mastercard/Visa logo cards would now work, I never had any success with getting cash from a non-Myanmar bank account.

Has the situation improved? It would be very useful if I were able to withdraw cash from my Bangkok Bank account, using my Bangkok Bank ATM debit card.

Simon

Onthemoon, that sounds good news. It's so much easier to use my BB account as an emergency fund reserve, rather than using Western Union (which wasn't operational last year, but now seems to allow inbound transactions).

I remember I found the fees quite high at the time, though. If you go for a vacation, cash (and now credit cards in more and more establishments) seems to be better, but if you live there, you want to open a local account. I tried the BBL card just to find out whether it works in cash emergency situations.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

the brand new chip and pin cards from bkk bank dont work in other atms

bit of a disaster really, talk about stepping backwards ........

Ask them for a Be1st card instead, you can use that worldwide.

It takes about a week to come in.

Edited by uptheos

KBZ Bank started international card acquiring business in December 2012; accepting VISA, MasterCard, China Union Pay (CUP), and JCB cards at all KBZ ATMs and Point of Sales terminals. International card holders can withdraw cash in Myanmar Kyat up to MMK 1,000,000 daily. There is a small fee of MMK 5,000 per transaction.

http://www.kbzbank.com/en/retail-banking/cards/international-cards.html

• 2 months later...

the brand new chip and pin cards from bkk bank dont work in other atms

bit of a disaster really, talk about stepping backwards ........

The Bangkok Bank chip chards don't work in any other bank's ATM yet, so my branch told me. So I asked them to issue and old-fashioned one without chip when my old one was damaged.

They say the new chip cards should work with other bank from next year on. I believe it when I see it.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 6/17/2018 at 5:30 PM, dougiemac57 said:

Can't use it in the UK 

I managed to use my card for internet an purchase in Switzerland, but I never tried it on an ATM.

Bangkok bank really is causing a heap of confusion at the moment and customers aren't being informed. Apparently you will no longer be able to use the Visa function on the card after 1 January, they want us to use their Chinese bank backed Union card. I already changed to Kasikorn Bank and am hoping the same thing won't happen there. 

• 8 months later...

My new Bangkok Bank Union Pay card didn't work with any of the KBZ or CB bank ATMs I tried in a number of cities earlier this month. This despite "UnionPay" being clearly displayed on the ATM machines. It worked fine at ATMs in Laos and Cambodia but not Myanmar. I will therefore make sure to use my SCB Visa card in future to avoid any similar issues.

19 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

My new Bangkok Bank Union Pay card didn't work with any of the KBZ or CB bank ATMs

That's disappointing. I'm a frequent visitor to Burma and when I saw the UP logo everywhere I applied for a card.

Off to Vietnam next month hopefully it will work there.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2019 at 8:58 AM, Mahseer said:

That's disappointing. I'm a frequent visitor to Burma and when I saw the UP logo everywhere I applied for a card.

Off to Vietnam next month hopefully it will work there. 

It works in Cambodia and Laos so should be fine in Vietnam too. Just not Myanmar. However, VISA and MasterCard debit cards issued by Thai banks work just fine in Myanmar.