2nd TCT waiver and what's happening with Thai culture course?

mike123ca

Next year, I'll be starting the 2nd year on my 2nd teaching waiver. It seems everywhere I read its necessary to take the Thai culture course as the first course prior to writing the teacher's exams.

I just inquired about its availability and the institute that is offering it replied to me stating that course has been postponed indefinitely until the Thai teachers council decides to make a new announcement.

Are we suppose to wait until Thai culture course becomes available or just go ahead and sign up to take the TCT tests to become a licensed teacher? Will the Khurusapha give an extra waiver because of their delay/postponing of the Thai culture course?

Next year, I'll be starting the 2nd year on my 2nd teaching waiver. It seems everywhere I read its necessary to take the Thai culture course as the first course prior to writing the teacher's exams.

I'd assume that you're already okay to get a visa, then your work permit. You wrote that you're on your 2nd year of your 2nd provisional license. That would bring you into 2015, right? Then still time to do any educational process.

Does anybody have the link from Khurusapa, where you can check your status? I've lost it through a broken hard drive. -wai2.gif

With regards to the Thai Culture Course, unfortunately the simple truth is that it's all a big unknown for now. As such, just concentrate on the tests now. The Teachers' Council has indicated that tests will be announced this month so start studying for them.

There is a lot information out there albeit a little difficult to find. If you Google the words "Thailand," "Teaching" and "Asia," you'll find a good one.

• Like 1

Sorry to jump on this thread but it's kind of the same thing only different ;-)

Through bad choices and a complete lack of knowledge, I left my first school 14 months into a teachers license waiver and was only in my next job for 3 months. I got another TL waiver in that job taking my tally to 2. Currently I am in a job where I don't need the TL waiver but I have been offered a good wicket at a school which will require me to get another TL waiver.

Firstly can I get one? I heard that you can now only get 2 waivers, is this true?

I haven't done my culture course or done any of the tests.

Will this hold me back? Will I have problems?

Thanks for any help in advance :-D

If you've had two already, you might have bigger problems Please see attached document how to check your status at Kurusapa.* TCT,Bangkok)

Please type FULL name, or passport number.

And please keep us up to date. I don't want to spread a rumor, but I've heard of exceptions, where the school superiors obviously have a good connection to Buddha,,,aeehh the TCT and they just continue...

Please see attached file. -wai2.gif

TCT website to check waiver status.docx

• Like 1

I'd like to apologize for the information given in my post before. Better not trust "friends" what they're telling you. The guy who'd told me that couldn't even receive his second provisional license.

They refused the 2nd provisional on Kurusapa's website with following reasons.That;s what friends are for.-wai2.gif

Not allowed due to lack of documentation/properties: 1-inch photo is missing 1/lack of proof of their development because they're getting anuyat 2.

Edited by Scott
Thai text edited out
  • Like 1

I have had 2 but my second was only used for approx. 2 months, would I be able to plead with tct with a expired WP from said job showing 2 months use? Absolute waste of a license :-(

• Like 1

Cheeky marriage visa and hope the Labour office don't check for a TL is the route of many a folk I would imagine. Is it even illegal if you have the WP?

What's legal, and what's illegal here is pretty difficult to define. But I'd assume that once you've got such an outstanding remark at the Kurusapa's website, you're doing something illegal.( Pretty difficult to NOT know the facts.)

If the labor department issues a work permit might be another thing. God, why is all so complicated and irritating???!!

I'd made a Thai culture course paid by an agency, which wasn't cheap at all.( For the agency!) Now it turned out that it's worth less than toilet paper.

Once we all know what's going to happen ,they'll change their laws again and again. Surprised? No.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

I have had 2 but my second was only used for approx. 2 months, would I be able to plead with tct with a expired WP from said job showing 2 months use? Absolute waste of a license :-(

Once you've checked your status with Kurusapa and you're on your second already, there's no more third.

Even when you're qualified before until the end of the world. Does that make sense?

I'd just sent an email to Kurusapa's website asking them for advice. Will post their answer, if there's one.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Cheeky marriage visa and hope the Labour office don't check for a TL is the route of many a folk I would imagine. Is it even illegal if you have the WP?

Nothing illegal. I used an agent last year (2013) and paid 2500baht for said service. It wasn't what you might assume, a "bribe" or "corruption". The agent simply has connections, is Thai, and knows how to get things done. The fact a "waiver" or TL is required is once again only written in to the "law" to protect againist fraud and to enforce something on large private schools. Once you get the WP, it's legal unless the agent has actually forged the stamp, which is doubtful. Always ask for and demand the payment reciept for the apx. 3000baht of actual WP fee/charge. If they are forging that and the stamp, well what can we say? As long as you get the VISA ext. who gives a darn to be frank. A forged VISA ext. is more critical to the common foreigner teaching here in Thailand. It's a complete cluster *&^% as most know. Did you read about the tablet fiasco? Cheers mate.

• Like 1

Nothing illegal. I used an agent last year (2013) and paid 2500baht for said service. It wasn't what you might assume, a "bribe" or "corruption". The agent simply has connections, is Thai, and knows how to get things done. The fact a "waiver" or TL is required is once again only written in to the "law" to protect againist fraud and to enforce something on large private schools. Once you get the WP, it's legal unless the agent has actually forged the stamp, which is doubtful. Always ask for and demand the payment reciept for the apx. 3000baht of actual WP fee/charge. If they are forging that and the stamp, well what can we say? As long as you get the VISA ext. who gives a darn to be frank. A forged VISA ext. is more critical to the common foreigner teaching here in Thailand. It's a complete cluster *&^% as most know. Did you read about the tablet fiasco? Cheers mate.

"Using an agent" is always a sort of fishy here. I'd worked with an Englishman, who'd bought visa and work permit.

Please don't ask me who his agent was, but I definitely know that both were fake and only my friendship to an Immigration officer had saved him from getting into deep <deleted>, as he'd realized that his visa had a missing stamp from Ayutthaya Immigration..

Then he did me a favor in form to tell the "gentleman" to leave the country immediately to Laos to get a proper visa

Said Immigration officer was the nice guy in Phibunmangsahan..-wai.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

What's legal, and what's illegal here is pretty difficult to define. But I'd assume that once you've got such an outstanding remark at the Kurusapa's website, you're doing something illegal.( Pretty difficult to NOT know the facts.)

If the labor department issues a work permit might be another thing. God, why is all so complicated and irritating???!!

I'd made a Thai culture course paid by an agency, which wasn't cheap at all.( For the agency!) Now it turned out that it's worth less than toilet paper.

Once we all know what's going to happen ,they'll change their laws again and again. Surprised? No.-wai2.gif

It just says on the site that I've had 2 waivers and the schools names.

One of them I got at the start of 2013 and I then moved to a different school in the March so only used it for a tiny bit of time and as far as I'm aware before these rules came into force. I know that doesn't matter as it's in the site and I'm fluffed. Is there a way I can show evidence and say I was doing a favour to a school that desperately needed a teacher and I wanted to fill a gap in my CV?

If I knew I wouldn't have taken the job.

Hmmmm

Once you've checked your status with Kurusapa and you're on your second already, there's no more third.

Even when you're qualified before until the end of the world. Does that make sense?

I'd just sent an email to Kurusapa's website asking them for advice. Will post their answer, if there's one.-wai2.gif

Unfortunately yes it makes sense.

Pretty rough though hey?

:-(

The Kurusapa did reply to my e-mail. As usual you'll have to read between the lines in the Land of why's.

Here's what I wrote:\

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 09:41:03 +0700, michael mersi wrote:

To Whom It May Concern,
My name's Mr. XXXXXXX VVVVVVVV, passport number:
CKGGFYYH535345, date of birth:08.05.1902.
I'm an English teacher at XXXXXXXXXX School, XXXXXXXXXXXX province.
I'm on my second provisional teacher's permit now and would be able to teach until April 2016.
What would I have to do, when I'd like to apply for another teaching position in XXXXXXXXX in May, as I'm living there with my Thai family?
Please advice me if there's a possibility to get a third provisional in my own personal case, if not what you're expecting me to do.
I'd like to thank you very much for your kindest consideration. A very Happy New Year 2014!
Yours sincerely,
Mr. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXi, BBBBBBBBBBB

Their answer:

Requesting for the 3rd round of 2-year teaching permit, you must teach at the same school school of the 2nd round and show documentary evidence relating to self-development to gain the professional knowledge required, i.e. evidence of passing the professional knowledge certification through testing orstudying for a degree in education field.

Honestly speaking, I do have the Thai culture test. Isn't that what they meant? I'm really irritated and will send another mail to please them to check my documentation.

Keep smiling.. -wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

P.S. I'd have thought that holding seminars for Thai English teachers, primary and secondary level how to actually teach the English language, plus seminars for Thai school directors would be "a sort of" self development.\

Wrote the wrong year, I'd be okay until April 2015.

Can't count all the certificates they throw at you, when working here for so many moons as an Alien. Just wait and see. Or both. Lol.-coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

My interpretation of 'self-development' reading current and previous TCT provisional teaching permit documents is

• certificate of the Thai Language, Culture and Ethics Course
  • passing certificates of the professional knowledge test
  • studying for a degree in education or graduate diploma in education/ teaching profession
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for clarification. Had sent another e-mail to them and will wait for their honest answer.

Nevertheless, I'm planning to go for a Masters, which might start around June at the local hemispheric Rajabhat on weekends.

Always wanted to be a part of this red..aeeh short skirted society..-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

• 8 months later...

So... assuming your second waiver is up and can't get a third...what are your options? Unis? Language schools? Private schools?

Yep. Language schools and companies. Or working illegally in basic education schools.

Dude, we're in Thailand. Or both.