Phuket police declare victory after Patong parking D-day

webfact

Phuket police declare victory after Patong parking D-day
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_201412174846113_YgmqjDUUdegtS
Patong police proclaim victory in their campaign to reduce the number of taxis and tuk-tuks parked along the beachfront road. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Patong police have declared success in dislodging taxis and tuk-tuks from parking spots on the Patong beach road.

“We succeeded in our goal of freeing up space between Prachanukroh Road and Soi Bangla. Each of the seven taxi ranks there are now limited to five vehicles each,” Patong Police Deputy Superintendent Akanit Danpitaksat told the Phuket Gazette this afternoon.

The freed parking spaces are now available to other locals, tourists and expats.

“We are continuing to enforce the new regulation that came into effect on December 31 [story here]. We want to make sure that there are spaces available for visitors when they come to Patong,” Lt Col Akanit said.

Patong Police are now discussing re-claiming public parking spaces from the taxi ranks along Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Road and Phang Mueang Sai Kor Road.

“We don’t have a deadline for that project yet. However, in the meantime, we will continue enforcing the rule along the beachfront road to keep it free,” he added.

Col Akanit stressed that anyone who encounters unruly or threatening behavior by a taxi or tuk-tuk driver should call 191 immediately.

“Unacceptable behavior includes being deceived; threatened; attacked; overcharged; taken somewhere that is not your agreed destination; prevented from entering another taxi or tuk-tuk; or forced to use a particular taxi or tuk-tuk,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-police-declare-victory-after-Patong-parking-D-day-23158.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-01-03

This is ripe! Never a dull moment here.. I go back to what I said earlier..I hope people take lots of video of all the spots taken by tuktuks and taxis and keep sending them to the papers. Tuks and taxis are like a severe case of herpes. It never really goes away and just keeps coming back. No cure, painful, looks disgusting, and nothing anyone can do will change it.

• Like 1

3 days and they declare victory? What about next week? The week after? Or does it all go back to how it was when the dust settles?

Yes, back to normal business as soon as possible. Once the photo-shoot's are over. BiB just tell the taxi mafia - help us out for a few days then do what you want.

• Like 1

3 days and they declare victory? What about next week? The week after? Or does it all go back to how it was when the dust settles?

Yes, back to normal business as soon as possible. Once the photo-shoot's are over. BiB just tell the taxi mafia - help us out for a few days then do what you want.

BiB just tell the taxi mafia - help us out for a few days then do what you want.

Spot on assessment....therefore,..............post-169941-0-09456800-1388739287_thumb.

post-169941-0-09456800-1388739287_thumb.

Edited by andreandre

Well done I say. In a similar vein may I follow the good officer a make a similar statement. I declare the England cricket team will win the Ashes this weekend

It would appear that both Lt. Col. Akanit and me both got it wrong, England didn't win the Ashes and ......Tuk Tuks rule OK.

I for one don't mind admitting I was wrong. I wonder if the Gazette will do a follow up on this story. It would be interesting.

Best of luck to all in 2014 (especially those trying to find somewhere to park on Beach Road)

Yet another topic with virtually all posts of half-empty glasses of sour grape juice.

Care to explain your post. We here in Phuket are witnessing this 'victory'

And a glorious victory it is to the tuk-tuk drivers. They did not retreat. They are still there.

They really showed Patong Police Deputy Superintendent Akanit Danpitaksat who is boss on this island, and it's not him. smile.png

Just to show you, HerbalEd, that's it's not all "sour grape juice" - I suppose all the hotels and guest houses that are walking distance to Patong Beach will remain happy. :)

Edited by NamKangMan