Bakery In Bangkok

dukkha

:D This may be covered somewhere on a thread but have not located it. Am looking for a decent Bakery in Bangkok. Wholemeal/Multigrain, no sugar, kinda breads...live in Sathon so appreciate anyone who can enlighten me as to where to purchase non-sugar bread, preferably multi grain, am diabetic so needs find some wholesome 'bread of life'....any suggestions gratefully accepted... :o Dukkha

• 2 weeks later...

I found that the CARREFOUR at Rama IV has by far the widest selection of French-/German-style breads, many of them wholemeal and multigrain. The ones at ON NUT and LAT PHRAO are not too bad as well. In general, Carrefour is the best option for bread, compared to Tesco or Big C (they have nothing comparable), but the selection varies. the more Farang live in the area, the more West-European-style bread you will find available. For example, there is an almost deserted Carrefour at Samrong, where very few Farang live, and they have a very limited selesction only, certainly due to low demand....

some of the FOODLANDs have an extra space for a bakery-outlet as well, they do have some nice breads usually....

If you prefer a small shop, the Delikatessen-shop at the German restaurant "BEI OTTO" at Sukhumvit (near to Phrom Phong), which is running succesfully since decades, has a very large variety of yummie breads...... enjoy !

:D This may be covered somewhere on a thread but have not located it. Am looking for a decent Bakery in Bangkok. Wholemeal/Multigrain, no sugar, kinda breads...live in Sathon so appreciate anyone who can enlighten me as to where to purchase non-sugar bread, preferably multi grain, am diabetic so needs find some wholesome 'bread of life'....any suggestions gratefully accepted... :o Dukkha

For total control of content a vegetarian friend of mine in Bangkok bought a bread maker ... (that sounds a bit like a tongue-twister).

I am a bread lover and have the waist line to prove it. With regard to European style bread, some of the suggestions above are great. I was in Siam Paragon recently and right outside their supermarket is a bakery called Saint Etoile that makes great baguettes,thin loaves and rolls,very good. Also Yamazaki in some shopping malls usually The Mall, has good baguettes. Tops in Central Chidlom basement has great bread as well.

In soi 35 I think, right next to The Bull pub, there is Custard Nakamura that also has very good bread of most kinds except the heavier German rye types. Not far from Villa Phrom Pong.

Bread and marmite. Yummy :o

:o Great suggestions from you all, have done the Etoile in Paragon, but no multigrain and they vouch that there is no sugar in the loaf I bought, but who knows...am a slack arse so will not be buying a bread making machine but a good tip anyway, La Boulange in Convent openly said they use sugar..I think most of them think I am a mad farang when I question about the sugar content as for thais Sugar seems almost as important as MSG...any way we all know man/person does not live by bread alone but being an Aussie I prefer it to rice which, in the white variety, is heavy with sugar also..brown rice is the way to go apparently, and of course cannot live without the ubiquitous potato/spud either..thanks to all who bothered to offer advice, this is the great part of TV, people willing to help out those of us who may be ignorant of things Bangkokian...Kop Khun Krup :D Dukkha

one of my fave bakeries is Bangkok Baking Co in the Marriot on Suk 2. They have great stuff there. and for those of you who DO like sweet stuff (not you dukkha - you are sweet enough already) their Toffee Banoffe is simply the best!

:o La Donna, what a surprise and joy to see you on the thread, today went to Central Childom Food Hall...wow what they dont have aint worth thinking about...found a great multigrain, no sugar and closed my eyes past the delish cakes, ###### it....you are in Phuket Sweetness...so far, but do letz do the do if ya make it up this way La Donna...am blushing about being sweet enough..believe me but you made my Sunday...a bit off topic but hey, not every day I read that kinda line from someone as sweet as you.... :D Dukkha
one of my fave bakeries is Bangkok Baking Co in the Marriot on Suk 2. They have great stuff there. and for those of you who DO like sweet stuff (not you dukkha - you are sweet enough already) their Toffee Banoffe is simply the best!

Beside all the mentioned places you can try the bakery/coffee shop "Gourmandises" beside the main entrance of Nai Lert Park Hotel on Witthayu. They got quite a good choice and I am certain that they also produce on request. Try them, they might help you out with your diet requirements.

Cheers,

KY

:D Thanks Khun Yak..Have found the multi grain, no sugar at Central Childdom along with lots of other delish stuff...65 baht a loaf but whose complaining...but will definitely check out Gourmandises as well...such a comfort that there are people on TV who are willing to be a help and support, not often found in the west, but then they dont need a thread for 'Bread' and such like things, life as an ex-pat I guess.. :o Dukkha

Beside all the mentioned places you can try the bakery/coffee shop "Gourmandises" beside the main entrance of Nai Lert Park Hotel on Witthayu. They got quite a good choice and I am certain that they also produce on request. Try them, they might help you out with your diet requirements.

Cheers,

KY

The French bread at the Japanese bakery on the upper floor of the Emporium -- inside the department store next to the mini-food court -- is great. It sells out quickly, though. They do keep bringing new stuff out but you can never be sure they'll have what you want when you make the trek up there.

:o WOW, I think I could now do a tour of bakeries in Bangers for Farangs with all this great info from interested posters...everyone has been so helpful and it seems I am not the only one who is searching for BREAD in a SEA of RICE...cheers to all those who have been extremely helpful to this old fart on his search.... :D Dukkah

• 2 months later...

'Danish Bakery' bread is some of the best I've had in Thailand. Its available at many of the higher-end grocery stores carry it, also Villa near soi 33.. Behind Villa Soi 33 there is an(The?) actual "Danish Bakery".

I believe Paragon, Chitlom etc carry Danish Bakery brand as well.