11 arrested for attacking French tourist in Hua Hin

webfact

Frenchman needed brain surgery after brutal bashing
Apichart Hongsakul,
Kampanart Khantrakool
The Nation
Prachuap Khiri Khan

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: -- Police have arrested 11 suspects, most of them minors, for assaulting and seriously injuring a French tourist, in the seaside town of Hua Hin.

Simonivet Pou, 26, was attacked in one of the town's beer bar zones on New Year's Day after he tried to help another foreigner in a street brawl. The victim needed brain surgery.

"We arrested the suspects and they have confessed to their crime," Prachuap Khiri Khan police chief Maj General Tanet Suntornsuk said yesterday.

He said nine of the suspects were between 15 and 17 years old, while one was 20, and another, a soldier.

The suspects told police that a drunken foreigner had offended them, so they attacked him. Pou then tried to intervene in the incident and ended up being assaulted himself.

"We have charged them with physical assault," Tanet said.

Following the attack, Pou was rushed to Hua Hin Hospital where he underwent brain surgery. He was then transferred to the Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital in Bangkok after his condition improved.

Pasitta Intaphan, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand's Prachuap Khiri Kran branch condemned the attack, saying it should never have happened.

"We will raise the issue with the Hua Hin/Cha Am Tourism Association. Relevant authorities need to explore measures that efficiently prevent such problem and ensure tourists' safety," she said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-03

I spent some time 'living' in HH in about 2002. Not long before I arrived a young guy was attacked by a group of Thai lads over a spat about a girl. They smashed his skull and fingers with bricks from a nearby building site. His efforts to bring proceedings against his assailants were blocked at every stage.

[snip]

Edited by george
inapptopriate comment

The real Thailand again, learn the rules. You will never get a one on one ever. Thai's don't even get a one on one with each other.

Sorry to hear of your injury and your a brave person to get involved it almost cost you your life.

Avoid all confrontation with Thai men as they are little men with big ego's they see farangs as a target that will never seek revenge unlike

most thai men.

Thai guys in my family have told me never get into a fight unless you have back up and that back up has the upper hand if needed i.e. (weapons)

What's the penalty for ganging up on a foreigner to the extent he needs brain surgery? 300 baht?

I think it's 500 baht...200 more for the surgery.

"We will raise the issue with the Hua Hin/Cha Am Tourism Association. Relevant authorities need to explore measures that efficiently prevent such problem and ensure tourists' safety," she said.

Good luck with that TAT, but it's a great sound bite.

The only thing that will fix issues like this, is if Thailand become a NO-GO zone for a few years,.... Thailand is getting a reputation of being a shithole now, which is why only Russians, Indians and Chinese are coming here...

• Like 1

...fast-forward 6 months: the relevant authorities (Police? TAT? Chalerm? AG?) have gone back to their productive routines after finding and delegating this matter to less relevant authorities...Everybody is back again exploring their respective nasal cavities...

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Like 1

The suspects told police that a drunken foreigner had offended them, so they attacked him.

They'll be getting off scot free with the old "he made me lose face" crap. They should be looking at jail time. Animals and cowards, pure and simple, A cowardly disgrace to their country.

No doubt the apologistas will be lining up to agree and say it served him right for not having accrued the same stunning levels of "cultural" insight as they have while on a holiday...

I am again reminded of the Jet Ski thugs in Pattaya. The cons are still going on. I witnessed an Indian couple forced into giving 20,000 Baht over only 2 weeks ago. A couple of months ago I watched as 4 Arabs trying to remonstrate with the Jet Ski scum were attacked and beaten up. Someone ran down Beach Road to smash the largest Arab on the back of his head with a brick. Then everyone maybe 30 guys attacked the 4 Arabs. The attack was completely out of order. The Arabs had been polite and reasonable no shouting no threats from them.

I am convinced this will only end when someone dies: perhaps even then it won't. Corruption undermines the rule of law in Thailand at every turn.

Most Thais are the most decent people I have ever known. It's one of the reasons I like living here.

Meanwhile in the name of Democracy and the King Suthep is threatening to shut down Bangkok if he can't get to elect his own government. Contempt of the law total and complete and it allows all the other minor sh...t to happen. Just different symptoms of the same rotten corruption that holds this nation back.

It is easy to make laws here in Thailand but I do not see any authority enforcing them. Oh, giving tickets for 300B (no helmet) is some enforcement but it takes about a dozen police to implement it. I think it is cultural because Thai people never tell their children "no". As this next generation comes to age I'm afraid Thailand will be a dangerous place to visit or live because they have too many major issues to overcome. The Thais should call "farangs" ATMs instead. When I first came to Thailand in 1967 the people viewed visitors with more respect - maybe it was because my country was blowing the s&*t out of the surrounding countries but I don't think so.

The suspects told police that a drunken foreigner had offended them, so they attacked him.

They'll be getting off scot free with the old "he made me lose face" crap. They should be looking at jail time. Animals and cowards, pure and simple, A cowardly disgrace to their country.

No doubt the apologistas will be lining up to agree and say it served him right for not having accrued the same stunning levels of "cultural" insight as they have while on a holiday...

Booze, foreigners, Thai gang - recipe for disaster.

When you're in any foreign country you need to be more careful. Easy to misinterpret something, say something that's taken wrong, do something that's consider differently.

UK cities have the same problem with teenage city centre gangs assaulting people for very little reason. I've seen plenty of videos of this from Aussie too.

Wonder what really provoked this, what happened between the first foreigner and Thai youths to cause the offence. But, trying to be a good samaritan is often a dangerous act anywhere in instances like this.

Sadly, many countries fail to adequately punish yobs like this gang and create the deterants.

• Like 2

Nothing like a report such as this one to get all the rabid Thai bashers who read this forum to start foaming at the mouth !!!!

PUB BRAWLS HAPPEN ALL OVER THE WORLD PEOPLE - Try going to a football match in Europe or South America.

• Like 1

These stories should be in the Travel section of major international papers.

Then there would be a change in the attitude of the Thai government. 11-1 is

not assault it is attempted murder when he is hospitalized and requires brain surgery.

Some one with an in should appeal to Rupert Murdoch. 1zgarz5.gif

• Like 2

Never argue with thais,drunks,street dogs,police,lady boys,street venters.......

they all have a very short fuse (some have no fuse)

and should be treated as dangerous species.

Mind your own business ,if provoked ...run,and safe your life.

Stay out of danger zones if possible .

Do this all over the world.

• Like 1

Never argue with thais,drunks,street dogs,police,lady boys,street venters.......

I concur, but I do confess to arguing with street dogs (the non-human variety) occasionally - but they start it.

I agree. In general, I never react to some random stranger trying to speak me up on the streets especially if it's likely the only reason they are speaking to me is because I'm a foreigner. To me it's just racist and I would just like to be left alone in the same way I don't start hitting Thaitown in Sydney and start sawatdiing every Thai I see. Although maybe I should just to get back at Thais for fun. Haha...but no, seriously if someone starts talking to you, especially if it's in English because of this stupid perception that foreigners can't speak Thai, I walk away and it's the best way of avoiding trouble. Consequently I have never had any trouble here. I think I'm a pleasant and outgoing person, but I don't talk to random strangers and I don't get involved in the affairs of strangers. I care about myself and those people I know and care about (including family and friends). Strangers I don't give a crap about and this is the same attitude shared by most Thais and Chinese etc. hence there is no need to talk with them.

I wish both of them get well soon ,i pray for speedy recovery ,

very bad 11 against 2 all minors bad education ,and minor drinking is a crime or not many countries does not allow sales to minors and no one bothered about minor drinking why not file,charge a case minor drinking ,

• 3 weeks later...