Trash recycling

phuketsub

I just got my annual 'Maintenance Fee' bill for the gated community that I live in here in Rassada = 10,500 baht, up from last year.

I am not going to pay it.

I admit the security services are okay (never any crime in the hood), but the other major expense they claim is trash/garbage removal and it is done by a subcontractor hired by Rassada Municipality that has the name 'recycle' (written in Thai) on their trucks. I sort out all my recyclable waste and try to compost much of my organic waste, but when they collect it they just dump it all together.

When I lived in Phuket Town (Phuket Villa 1) I paid 10 baht/year directly to the town and they put all the recyclable stuff into separate containers on their garbage trucks.

I would like to know what homeowners in other gated communities are paying and what they get back from it.

From now on I am just going to carry all my waste over the town line by bicycle and drop it off in Phuket Town, where they at least make an effort at recycling (although when I look in the trash receptacles there it is obvious that most people are too stupid to understand the difference between organic/inorganic and recyclable waste).

It boggles my mind that all my household waste (and all that from the entire island) is trucked to Saphan Hin and incinerated on a site just above sea level and built on a mangrove forest, adjacent to the largest public park on the island, where they hold numerous events that are just orgies of plastic and foam consumerism.

I don't remember any previous threads on this issue and I would be interested to know if other TV members are as disgusted with the status quo as I am.

I am no 'save the planet' tree hugger, but it really is pathetic -- just as retarded as the state of politics in this realm. Good grief.

post-40708-0-41744500-1388804345_thumb.j

Edited by phuketsub

I have local people that come and take my recyclables.

They used to kind of make a mess, leave my trash all over after sifting, so now I separately bag my bottles, both glass and plastic, makes it a little more organized. Otherwise I have Orbitor run trash pickup.

One of the worst situations is the Kamala hill climb out of Patong on the left side there, just past the Thavorn Resort, complete trash dump, horrible. Who authorized that?

• Like 1

I think that that near the Tavorn is mainly construction materials and some tree trimmings etc. I believe it is intended as land fill for future building upon.... unless it has changed since I looked at it last (was in 2012 I must admit)

Another area that never looked good, but now looks like absolute shyt is Soi Samkong, behind Rajabhat...still hoping for some input on how much other homeowners are paying for community "maintenance" fees....

So you are paying = B875/month. Where I am (Patong), B500 per month - non-gated. For rubbish and estate cleaning and lighting. Where I may be moving to (also Patong), B700 per month. Gated. For security, rubbish and estate cleaning and lighting. You price seems a little on the high side, though not exorbitant. It is common for Thais to refuse to pay these fees. I'm told that many estates will place a lien on the property for the fees, so that you will not be able to sell until all back fees owed have been paid (don't know about interest). I've heard this from a number of sources, but have no personal knowledge of it. It may pay you to make some discreet enquiries but, for my 2 satang's worth, you are better off paying - you are talking less than $400 per year and you are not paying council rates.

• Like 1

In Rawai, I got a bill each year for 360 baht, payable at the Or Bor Tor office at the west end of Rawai "beach".

Haven't had a bill yet this tenancy, and I've been in the same house for over a year, so not sure what is going on.

The rubbish truck comes once or twice a week, I think. I pity the bloke who bought the house opposite the row of 4 or 5 smelly rubbish bag cages. bah.gif

• 6 years later...
On 1/6/2014 at 12:50 AM, JetsetBkk said:

In Rawai, I got a bill each year for 360 baht, payable at the Or Bor Tor office at the west end of Rawai "beach".

Haven't had a bill yet this tenancy, and I've been in the same house for over a year, so not sure what is going on.

The rubbish truck comes once or twice a week, I think. I pity the bloke who bought the house opposite the row of 4 or 5 smelly rubbish bag cages. bah.gif

Well, we paid, they NEVER came and we keep recieving NOT PAID bins.. what a joke

On 9/18/2020 at 11:54 PM, Old Croc said:
On 9/18/2020 at 11:21 PM, Seeall said:

Well, we paid, they NEVER came and we keep recieving NOT PAID bins.. what a joke

Instead of reviving a 6yo thread why not just take your complaint to your local Or Bor Tor.

I couldn't even remember this thread, but thanks for the trip down memory lane, Seeall!  ????

I did receive a bill eventually, once per year. Then they put it up to 480 baht per year, which is still a pretty good deal. But in the letter that explained why they were increasing the charge, they said they would collect the rubbish three times per week. They did that for about a month. Then it went to two times, then one.

I went to the Or Bor Tor about that and they agreed to come twice a week. They kept that up for about 2 months, now it's back to once. 

I think I'll buy a bigger bin.