Taxi from Poipet to Siem Reap

SwanF

Hello all,

I am going to be travelling from Bangkok to Siem Reap next month. Has anyone recently got a taxi from Poipet to Siem Reap, managing to avoid the tourist bus station scam and its overpriced bus and taxi rates?

Is it possible to walk into Poipet and negotiate a taxi and if so what the going rate these days? The bus station price is $50, according to what I have seen on Google. Is the price around $30 or so away from here and how much hassle is it to do this?

Thanks in advance.

$50 is the going price or about $12/seat

Thanks for the reply. I decided to fly from BKK to siem reap in the end 3400B on Cambodia Ankor air. I simply could not be arsed with the landtrip after spending only 48 hours in Bangkok after flying from London!

I usually pay 2000-2500 Baht or US$65-75 for a taxi to Phnom Penh. I thought Siem Reap should be only US$25, but I have heard $40. $50 definitely sounds like too much (although I have never taken a taxi from Poipet to Siem Reap only; everytime I go overland to Cambodia I head to Phnom Penh and usually through to Ho Chi Minh City).

Price depends a lot on whether you are prepared to go Cambodian style (paying for just one seat, and their idea of number of seats is not ours!), or want to buy yourself enough space to sit in comfort (e.g. the whole front area which is considered 2 or 3 seats), or want a taxi to yourself.

There is also a "VIP" bus service to PP that runs at night and I'm told has actually berths in it to sleep, haven't done it myself but have friends who take it regularly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I travel this route all the time. Poipet to Siem Reap (and vice-versa) - private taxi - no other passengers (or as many friends as you can fit in - either is fine) is $25. Not $50, unless you're a sucker. DO NOT get on the bus to the taxi station/bus station. Walk to the right hand side of the roundabout after the bus stop (approx 100m max from the border) and hire a cab there.

I travel this route all the time. Poipet to Siem Reap (and vice-versa) - private taxi - no other passengers (or as many friends as you can fit in - either is fine) is $25. Not $50, unless you're a sucker. DO NOT get on the bus to the taxi station/bus station. Walk to the right hand side of the roundabout after the bus stop (approx 100m max from the border) and hire a cab there.

TheSiemReaper,

Thanks for the advice - are there vans as well as taxis available ? 4 x adults a bit of a squeeze.

Cheers,

BB

TheSiemReaper,

Thanks for the advice - are there vans as well as taxis available ? 4 x adults a bit of a squeeze.

Cheers,

BB

Not really but 3 in the back of a Camry is not the end of the world - it is only a 2- 2.5 hour journey most of the time.

TheSiemReaper,

Cheers,

BB

Not really but 3 in the back of a Camry is not the end of the world - it is only a 2- 2.5 hour journey most of the time.

My father and I are big lads + a pregnant wife - 3 in the back not ideal.

Have e-mailed two companies advertising van pickups on the internet but as yet no reply.

Maybe 2 x taxis will be the easiest.

Cheers again,

BB

Edited by Ballbearing

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

Please advice - 7 pax all Poi pet to Siam Rep....a van or 2 taxis - at $25 each x 2 = $50 all?\

Van is ok - if the price is right. and please advice for a nice backpackers room in seam rep. or a 3 starhotel for an overnight stay-

I have 2 sisters - 1 brother in law and 3 teenagers....first time travel to seam rep.- I work in Chonburi - the plan is to get there and go home as soon as possible -

perhaps 2 days will do no problem travelling back to Chonburi - have my car in the boarder - as long as the immigration is open - even evening travel home ok.

khunjoel

appreciate your help. khap khun khap

HI,

Please advice - 7 pax all Poi pet to Siam Rep....a van or 2 taxis - at $25 each x 2 = $50 all?\

Van is ok - if the price is right. and please advice for a nice backpackers room in seam rep. or a 3 starhotel for an overnight stay-

I have 2 sisters - 1 brother in law and 3 teenagers....first time travel to seam rep.- I work in Chonburi - the plan is to get there and go home as soon as possible -

perhaps 2 days will do no problem travelling back to Chonburi - have my car in the boarder - as long as the immigration is open - even evening travel home ok.

khunjoel

appreciate your help. khap khun khap

As I said before; I've never seen any vans there but yes - two taxis will set you back $50 in total. Catch them about 100 meters from the exit from the border by the little roundabout - don't get on the bus to the "taxi station" because you will be ripped off if you do.

If you need a taxi for the way back... ask the drivers that took you there and book them. They're happy to pick up in Siem Reap for the same money. My guy normally picks me up at 5 a.m. but any time of day will be fine.

You might want more than 2 days in Siem Reap though... there's a lot to see here. Safe trip.