Statues & Other Still Life Photography

Tywais

Really couldn't find a place for this photo so thought a new topic on statues or similar objects may be interesting. There are 3 of these at our house, 2 on one of the balcony corners and this one free standing on our porch. Stuck my Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm (90mm equivalent) f/1.8 on my Olympus EM-1 for DOF and used Art mode Sepia. Actually the EM-1 has an Art Scene bracket mode where you take one photo and it will save the original and all the available art modes that are selected. This one looked the most interesting. DOF/Bokeh is lovely IMHO. Used manual focus and focus peaking due to the many different depths to the statute to be sure I get the sweet spot.

11771812244_d9ec2174e1_c.jpg

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ T, that's neat. One shall attempt replication in LR5.

Personally I think the Sepia version does work better. Gives it more of an artsy, ancient appearance. The color version seems too busy and the eye doesn't know where to settle.

^^ T, that's neat. One shall attempt replication in LR5.

Personally I think the Sepia version does work better. Gives it more of an artsy, ancient appearance. The color version seems too busy and the eye doesn't know where to settle.

It's a very smooth, dare I say it, contemporary sepia.

I changed the topic to Statues and other still life photography to open up the flexibility for photos. This fits jimmy's photo in nicely as an example of below.

Many photographers prefer still life because it allows them to take their time and control virtually every aspect of the shot. The best shots emphasize interesting composition, texture, form, color, balance, light and shadow, harmony, lighting, or all of the above. However, another variety of this field of photography, called found still life, consists of objects that are found naturally arranged, with the photographer making little or no adjustments. Although we'll be chiefly exploring tips for how to construct still life arrangements, the ideas will also help you identify great shots of found still life, too.

Source

^^ It's all because of you Rabbit.

All because of you! It's you who got me into this about four or five years ago following a long exchange of PM's on this very forum. We discussed Communist era lenses on your GF1.

Just took this a few moments ago using a 1975 Pentax-K 50mm f/1.2 @ f/5.6, manual focus in Live View (I know why focus peaking is popular now, just figured that out).

11905515755_5a43421b46_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56053365@N07/11905515755/

Agreed on the focus peaking. My Olympus OM-D E-M1 is the first camera I've had with it and, at my age, I really appreciate it. Especially good for focusing in low light where AF might be struggling.

Great image by the way.

David

Archived