Sinsod maybe the end

Izbbroke

I met this woman 14 months ago. She's now 30 and I'm 45. When we first met I was reluctant about online dating to a point but open in the sense that you never know.

We talked for about 4 months and decided to meet. I flew to CM to meet her and spent two weeks there. Met her mother, her daughter, and a portion of her family. We fell in love during this trip.

I then flew there later again last year and we became engaged.

She is a wonderful woman and a good mother. She has a 5 year old daughter. Father isn't around. She had a quick marriage before daughter was born for birth certificate reasons. Then divorced later.

Sinsod is now becoming the major issue we deal with. We are engaged and love each other very much. I love her daughter as if she was mine. I've been supporting all of them including her mother for over a year. 1500+ usd each month. Sending extra at time to help keep her daughter in a nice school etc. the 1500 has been sure and she can count on it.

Now that we want to marry her mom insists I pay Sinsod. I mKe make good money and overall I can deal with paying it. This issue I can not do it all at one time. It's haRd to save for a big Thai wedding and Sinsod. She believes mom will deny wedding if Sinsod not paid in full full at wedding. I suggested maybe over 3 months.

Fact is I cannot keep us together sending her 1500usd on top of my bills and save money for a wedding. I love her and she loves me but seems Sinsod is going to end us.

Any insight from anyone?

• Like 1

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fly the G/F to you home country and get married ... go back to Thailand and fund a wedding party ... register your marriage with the Thai government / local officials ... You are now legally and morally married... A WHOLE LOT LESS COSTS and risks... The Mother in Law and your new wife will not like it -- but too bad

That was one one of the last things I said. Go apply for a marriage visa and we will marry here.

Just stupid that Sinsod is becoming an issue.

I understand the purpose of it, but I'm not taking help or an income away.

I am the income.

from your first post it reads you have only met her twice ,and got engaged the 2nd time you met her and now plan to marry when you meet her for the third time,crazy.....

if sin sot is paid ,it is also usually returned to the couple after the wedding minus a few wedding costs.

• Like 2

Sinsot is for the traditional marriage ceremony of virgin brides. To be a little bit more practical, it's for brides who appear to be virgins - no previous relationship and no children. To be even more practical, it's about 'face' for the family whether or not there have been previous marriages or there are children. The cash and gold go to mother who usually pays for the wedding from the cash and hands the gold and remainder of the cash to the bride.

Paying the sinsot by instalments is not on the cards. It has to be shown off at the wedding.

Mother's wishes override those of the bride and groom.

The traditional wedding is not recognised in law. My understanding is that the groom acquires no legal rights whatsoever.

The groom might suggest having a legal marriage at the local Amphur office first and considering the traditional ceremony and party later. By doing that he would acquire a husband's legal rights and have time to see how things pan out with mother.

Sinsot is against the instinct of most Western husbands but this is Thailand, as they say. Dig in your heals with a total refusal and you may lose a genuine lady because she is obliged to put mother first. You need to be flexible. The lady is caught in a cleft stick and the would-be husband should look for a compromise that suits him and digs her out with dignity.

• Like 2

Morden

Thank you for the most educational reply.

I'm not against paying honestly. But between my bills and hers there is no way I can save for all that is being asked for. Someone needs to give.

Cancelled wedding....or a show as you say and mom gets Sinsod over a few months. Or I walk my ass on. Leaving a lovely woman and child.

If Sinsod means more than supporting a family WELL for a year then .

• Like 1

I agree with tingtong that it is hard to believe that he is serious. This query has all the parts of a classic and age-old Thai-Farang relationship scam with the greedy MIL who wants something that she knows she shouldn't even ask for.

I really can't believe that this isn't a troll post. But if by some small chance it is for real, I would advise the OP to avoid marriage (in Thailand) completely. If he has to ask about this type of situation (and doesn't have the ability to research something like this with tonnes of information available on the internet) he is likely very naive and not well equipped to determine what is happening around him in Thailand. He will definitely be financially and spiritual picked dead by the family he (allegedly) is thinking about marrying into.

• Like 1

Morden

Thank you for the most educational reply.

I'm not against paying honestly. But between my bills and hers there is no way I can save for all that is being asked for. Someone needs to give.

Cancelled wedding....or a show as you say and mom gets Sinsod over a few months. Or I walk my ass on. Leaving a lovely woman and child.

If Sinsod means more than supporting a family WELL for a year then

You're welcome. smile.png

Perhaps you should take some more time to absorb the shock and then talk privately with your lady about the financial implications. It would be a pity to lose her over this issue. Mother won't want to lose her potential son-in-law either so take your time and suggest compromises to your lady. Thinks laterally for a solution.

Must love all the internet replies. Morden might be the only one that rationally replied.

I do know that Thai family ties are strong, and some old school mothers might insist on Sinsod.

I have taken good care of this woman and her family. I came here looking for some sane advice on how to handle this situation. Not to be told you are a sucker you are being scammed.

All insight is welcome but don't let everything you have read in the past to cause your replies to mean one way.

I'm not a troll. I came here asking a simple question. Maybe I'm a sucker, maybe I'm not and just looking for some outside views. Don't be so harsh people.....lol

• Like 2

"I came here looking for some sane advice on how to handle this situation. Not to be told you are a sucker you are being scammed."

Sometimes it's best not to ask the question if you might not like the answer.

You obviously know a lot more about Thai families than the people who have lived surrounded by Thai culture for many years, so I think it would be a very good idea (for you) to give the MIL twice what she wants and be a good SIL.

• Like 1