4 days in Chiang Rai

Mahseer

Hi folks, I have family coming over end of the month for 8 days and they want to travel around the north so contemplating spending 4 days in Chiang Rai (4 in C/Mai where I reside) but don't know the area well. They are keen photographers that prefer the countryside to the city so would it make sense to use C/Rai as a base and venture out each day or is there an interesting 4 day circuit we could do.

Thanks

I would settle into a nice comfortable hotel and then do day-trips around the area. You will find more and better services in town, after a long day of driving, with no need to pack and unpack or find new accommodation each night.

One day head north toward Doi Mae Salong, Doi Tung, and perhaps Mae Sai. Another day head east toward Phu Chi Fa, Pha Tang, or perhaps Phu Sang Waterfall. The other days you can pick up some of the sights closer to town.

• Like 2

If you are driving from CM to CR and want something more adventurous than the 118, you could do the 107 to Doi Angkhang and Fang, then 1089 on to Doi Mae Salong. It is a less direct route to Chiang Rai but more interesting in my opinion, if your aim is adventure and photography.smile.png

Thanks folks for input.

We are coming up on the bus and will hire a vahicle and driver for the duration - any recommendations? Previously stayed at the Wiang Inn about 6 years back and that was nice and central so will likely stay there. I have the 50 places to visit thread printed out so should be able to put 4 decent days together.

Thanks again

• Like 2

It's always worth asking at the hotel desk for a car and driver, if you think any offered is a bit expensive take a walk down the soi that leads to the Wang Come Hotel and ask in the little mom and pop tour places there.

We did this and got a good deal.

Mae Salong is a fun spit and the restaurant I mentioned in the trip report thread one of the finest in Thailand.....yum just thinking about it!

I must return soon.....:D

Thanks folks for the input and wondering if you can help me out with a decent hotel (4 star please - my brother in law has a couple of quid) which allows easy access to the city. I planned on staying at the Wiang Inn but they are full. I searched agoda and looked at the Meridien but again full. Presently looking at the Bandara Phulare but its 20 kms out of town so not ideal. We arrive very end of Jan.

Thanks.

Meridien would be my choice, but on the river, you also have the Dusit, Imperial and Legend, I believe. Not sure how they are rated but you should be able to find out on Agoda. Looks like you may be bumping up against Chinese New Year which will make finding good accommodations much more difficult.

• Like 1

We just did a long weekend at the Meridien Chiang Rai and it was great, we were thoroughly pampered and the location is excellent. Must do things for us were to see the White Temple, it's an amazing place and also the tea farm to the north, very impressive.

• Like 1

We just did a long weekend at the Meridien Chiang Rai and it was great, we were thoroughly pampered and the location is excellent. Must do things for us were to see the White Temple, it's an amazing place and also the tea farm to the north, very impressive.

While the Meridien is located on the river it is a fair way from town and out of the way of standard local transport routes. Chiangrai has a good metered taxi service with only a 20- baht phone surchage but if you stay there you are not well placed for wandering round and getting street food etc.

While the Meridien is located on the river it is a fair way from town and out of the way of standard local transport routes. Chiangrai has a good metered taxi service with only a 20- baht phone surchage but if you stay there you are not well placed for wandering round and getting street food etc.

For some people Harry, that might be a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, just putting some ideas down on where we can visit and wondering if you good folks can fine tune for me. This is what I have to date all of which was taken from your top 50 listings. Day 1 will be 01 Feb any hilltribe festivals during our stay?

Day 1. Wat Rong Kun / Boon Rawd.

We won't be in town until around 1400 so just a couple of destinations. How's the food at Boon Rawd?

Day 2. Doi Tung / Doi Mae Salong / Mae Ai.

Day 3. Elephant village (demanded by him with the money) / Chiang Rai

Looking at Ruammit Village which seems straight forward and is there enough in town to take up an afternoon?

Day 4. Golden triangle / Chaiang Saen / Chiang Khong / Phu Chi Fah

Day 5. Likely stop of at Wat Rong Kun enroute to the cake shop and home.

We'll be heading out at 0800 and looking at getting back around 1800.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks

• Like 1

Sounds pretty good to me.

You should have no problem filling in an afternoon in the old city, take as stroll down past the clock towers to the the day market and also enjoy a coffee at Doi Chaang coffee shop.

I doubt the elephant village will take up a day, cross the river (near the jail) and go down to the hot springs and check out the interesting country side and the hills tribes people who live there.

• Like 1

The food at Rai Boon Rawd is very good and the restaurant is lovely. If you have time, you could add Pha Tang on your way to Phu Chi Fa.

If you run out of things to do during the day in town, you could stop in at Baan Dam or Black Village and walk around the grounds taking photos. There are several temples in town or you could go have coffee at Chivit Thamma Da Coffee House.

Thanks folks for your continued assistance, much appreciated.

sceadugenga: I'll gladly cross the river for a wander. I do have an interest in hilltribes (admittedly more from a photographic viewpoint) and having just returned from Kentung, which is only 5 hours north of you folks, I would be elated to visit a 'new' hilltribe but only if they still have the traditional costume. Any recommendations across the river?

villagefarang: have added Doi Pha Tang and thanks very much for your input and use of your top sites map. Great stuff. I see the chivit coffee shop you mention is rated number 1 of 149 restaurants by the wonders that are tripadvisor. Will certainly include.

Thank you

• Like 1

I'm not sure you will come across a lot of people in traditional dress these days unless it's a special occasion.

They are still interesting people to talk to though and I've had a couple of tasty meals at the restaurant at the hot springs.

Take a drive up to the big hill top stupa on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, just seen our visitors off after an excellent 5 days stay in that fair city of yours. We kept just about to the plan as outlined except we didn't get past Chiang Saen on day 4 due to all of us being 'stuck' in the opium museum for better than 2 hours and what a stunning exhibition that is.

sceadugenga, did manage to 'find' that special occasion with plenty of hilltribe all decked out in their finest when we came across a new year celebration by pure good fortune on the way home the long way via Mae Ai.

villagefarang the brother in law didn't come close to matching any of your photos and had nothing to offer but poor excuses.

Thanks to all for input and congratulations to those who elected to settle in Chiang Rai and surrounds

• Like 2