How to book these very comfortable 999VIP Bus

catweazle08

i was going to my nightbus to mukdahan from mo chit, when i noticed, that there were 4 extra-seats below the usual 24 seats, where i was sitting.

they were way more comfortable than our seats above. much more space.

i´ve never seen so big seats on a bus before, but there were only i think 8 of them.

they were in a small room with an extra door next to the toilet. (i have a pic of it, but upload fails...)

so these seats are definately not the usual 24 or 32 seats you can book.

a thai told me you can book these seats at an post-office, but i never tried.

and the fact, that there are only a few seats of them, makes booking ahead a few days a good idea.

any experiences with booking and using these seats?

thx in advance

Depends on the Company where you can book, VIP999 may be able to be booked via the post office, the downstairs seats are nicer in my opinion, less sway going round corners, some older buses though the toilets can smell a bit.

The bus you mean is something like this.

0.jpg

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can book these VIP seats at thaiticketmajor.com ...in turn they can be booked or picked up at their counters at most Central malls or any Major Cineplex's.

Please keep in mind that 75% of all major fatal bus accidents occur at night. These long overnight bus trips have a horrible record here.

Chok dee na khrap

• Like 2

The buses have a bad record for accidents, but the train falls off the track regularly; even with the transport monister aboard.

Seriously, though, the busses are not properly policed for driver rest, driver chewing the khaat leaf, and other things that would never be allowed in the civilized world. Just remember that you are traveling in the third world and expect to fall over occasionally.

• Like 1

The buses have a bad record for accidents, but the train falls off the track regularly; even with the transport monister aboard.

Seriously, though, the busses are not properly policed for driver rest, driver chewing the khaat leaf, and other things that would never be allowed in the civilized world. Just remember that you are traveling in the third world and expect to fall over occasionally.

Really, I am surprised to hear that. I thought that the VIP 999 were the best buses in Thailand. They don't have so many stops as other buses and in my experience never rush.

I haven't used 999 for quite a while now, but never had any problem booking a particular seat

Not sure about how to get a specific seat on a specific bus/route/date? At some of the departing bus depots (Ekkamai, Mor Chit) one can see an available seat-map at the ticket counter when purchasing, and request it. Maybe ask a Thai person to trawl some Thai social media sites to get a feel for if this is possible on the routes you travel?

There are a lot more options now re: making a reservation, and paying. Not sure if you can request a specific seat via the call center?

http://www.thaiticketmajor.com/bus/buy-bus-tickets_eng.php

A bus ticket can be bought at the counters of ThaiTicketMajor Major Cinema, EGV, Thailand Post, AIS, Telewiz, Tesco Lotus, Lotus Express, GUE, and More

http://www.thaiticketmajor.com/bus/bus-tickets-route.php?la=en

The Thai Ticket Major booking engine does show seat-maps so presumably one could reserve a specific, desireable seat, assuming it shows as available and that it is not blocked out for any number of reasons.

post-9615-0-04962500-1389100935_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-52777400-1389100954_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-10730000-1389101177_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I have ridden on buses in Thailand over the last 30 years that I have been living here. Overnight and during the day. If you cannot tell when the driver is not a good driver, why stay on the bus. Just have them stop at the next big town and get off.

I have never had to do this, but would if I felt unsafe.

If you do not want to travel here go home. Try that.

• Like 1

I have ridden on buses in Thailand over the last 30 years that I have been living here. Overnight and during the day. If you cannot tell when the driver is not a good driver, why stay on the bus. Just have them stop at the next big town and get off.

I liked your post until reading the last sentence. I prefer letting people make their own decisions without conditions. They can come and go without my two-Bahts worth of comments until I start paying their way.

Live and Let Live

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can book these VIP seats at thaiticketmajor.com ...in turn they can be booked or picked up at their counters at most Central malls or any Major Cineplex's.

Please keep in mind that 75% of all major fatal bus accidents occur at night. These long overnight bus trips have a horrible record here.

Chok dee na khrap

I never travel at night,except the rare train.In my hippy days,night travel was a way of saving a nights acc.,but not much sleep.Those days are thankfully over,but great memories.

• Like 1

The old go home gets into every thread these,if i keep reading,Thaksin will be next.

• Like 1

ok, thx for the help.

i have to book smth here from phuket to bkk, it would be easier doing it in mo chit, i know.

maybe i look for a tesco supermarket. finding a post office? i dont know bout this...

i ask (just for fun) a travel agency here on patong: 32 seater was 1100 baht and then she mentioned a 24 seater for about 1500 baht...facepalm.gif

maybe i check out nokair and airasia as well rolleyes.gif

I see you are quite a new poster, telling most TV members that if they do not like something about Thailand to go home does not sit well.

Really, I am surprised to hear that. I thought that the VIP 999 were the best buses in Thailand. They don't have so many stops as other buses and in my experience never rush.

I haven't used 999 for quite a while now, but never had any problem booking a particular seat

I believe the 999 buses are part of the bigger Transport Co. operation. And the 999 means the buses are doing overnight trips.

I don't believe they have any particularly good record for safety.

I too would avoid any overnight trips, and stick to NCA (Nakhon Chai Air) instead, if they served the destination I was traveling.

Not sure if NCA serve the OP's stated destination of Mukdahan?

VIP/999 buses are operated by various public and government entities. While many buses depart in the PM - after people get off work for the day, and when traffic is at a minimum - there are some AM and afternoon departures both from and to Bangkok.

The OP can view the seat plan for a specific bus/route/date, but you do need to register - I didn't bother.

My best guess is that the OP is interested in one of those first two listings: operated by "The Transport Co." (ostensibly the government I think?) with 08:00 or 20:30 departures from Mor Chit (Chatuchuk) in 32-seat configs.

I haven't seen any accident statistics re: 999/VIP buses but am under the impression they are reasonably safe, with two drivers and mandatory safety check/stops at some prescribed intervals during a journey. Most complaints seem to be about the near meat-locker temperatures on board, so dress in/carry layers. For many destinations buses are the only viable option.

post-9615-0-25988300-1389235155_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I had one of the seats one time, the ticket seller at the station at Mo Chit just randomly gave it to me. If you ask them at the sales booth you might be lucky and get one. I found it more comfortable than uptairs.

I agree that Nakhonchai Air is the most professional of the bus companies.

NCA had a couple of crashes in the past few months, including two reported here. Fortunately, not the horrible kind with dozens of fatalities that seem to be a regular occurrence with lots of the other Thai bus companies. NCA is indeed the cream of the Thai bus crop in terms of safety.

But as for the OP's comment, I also would say... NEVER book an intercity overnight bus trip, especially on any of the Transport Co.'s buses or many of the private carriers. It's those kinds of trips and buses that usually seem to get hit by the major fatality accidents.

Having a comfy seat downstairs does you no good if you're dead. And that's no joke!

OP - Make sure you have full insurance cover - that's LIFE! - as this is what you will be taking into your own or the company's hands when you step aboard one of those things. Don't worry about medical, chances are if that thing leaves the road you won't be needing that.

Or haven't you been reading the news lately?

• 3 years later...
On 2014-1-7 at 6:34 PM, maderaroja said:

Kat is not a Thai drug..it's from North East Africa like Djibouti and Co.