Discouraging chickens etc.

The battle with other people's chickens, ducks etc is getting harder and harder. The amount of damage that they cause is really not funny.

Areas that I have staked and netted keep them out, but eventually, they always find a way in and then the damage escalates when they see me, panic and can't find a way out!

A single duck can destroy hundreds of small vegetable plants in one hit.

The problem is that the more I improve the soil, the more scratchers are attracted.

Does anyone know of a plant to grow that repels them or some other way to make the land less attractive to them.

I don't really want to go to the expense of fully enclosing the plot in a cage to keep them out.

Any suggestions?

Pitbulls eat birds of all species. It seems to be their nature. Even the puppies raised around the chickens, I could not stop them once they got started. Maybe I'm not much of a dog trainer. Between the dogs and my bow, we took a community of free range runners of about 50 down to 3 in a year. I'm an occasional chicken killer and the adult pitties only got chickens that made it into the dog pen, and the puppies got all of the chicks of the remaining 3 after I knocked of the last two roosters. End of the community that was.

So...pitbulls and a crazy bow weilding canuck would solve your problems, but I'm busy this time of year.

:)

Edited by Canada

RBH:

I don't know who the owners are. At times there are more than 10 families of chickens in there. I believe that chickens don't usually wander far from home, but they seem to make an exception to visit my plot.

Canada:

The last thing that I need are dogs chasing chickens around the plot, that would do even more damage!

Around my area it is acceptable to use a sling shot inside your fenced area. Usually this is not fatal and the birds will start to avoid your place. Missing is as good as hitting as long as they know there is danger. Also you should talk to the puyai and neighbors. It wouldn't hurt to find out who the owners are and give them a small gift of some of the veggies you grow.

• Like 1

Would an eltric fence work? or are poultry ,with there feathers, to well insulated?, would need 2-3 strands of wire ,1-2 week's

should be enough .works well with dogs,we had a stry dog,got a shock a few times,from my cattle fence, make him yelp, he learned

in end,to keep away from any fence

I go with Jotham79 ,talk to Poo Yai or Gum-Nun ,we had a small problem some time ago with chickens,and her indoors, used a

catapult and a good shot she was to,and she had a word with our neighbour seem to do the trick.

Good luck

KS

• Like 1

Sorry to state the obvious but fencing in your garden (not electric, it would disappear) is the only solution. The shading material keeps the more adventurous so and sos from flying in. I left the gate open one time and lost my lovingly cultivated melon plants, bought a sleep outside dog and the problem hasn't come up again.

I doubt that my neighbours would let me kill all their chickens with impunity, I am a bit doubtful about the veracity of the above 'bow and arrow boys' adventures' story. Not that I haven't thought about it.

Edited by cooked

Electric fence is a no go as there are always children playing in the road and so they may touch it.

I don't see that talking to the owners will do any good as I really can't imagine that they would fence in their chickens and ducks.

I've tried the catapult and they run, but usually are back within a minute or 2. They are stupid and don't seem to learn.

Mono filament gill nets are very very cheap. Get some bamboo stakes and put up 3 meters. If one gets in and you can chase it into the net it will make a god awful racket. The birds will learn. Also, hit a few with the catapult.

I've been experimenting with different mixes of bokashi, rice husks etc at the house in bags and pots. Chickens visited and reduced a lot of the plants to stems and petioles. It is soul destroying.

One thing that I have learnt is that chickens like chinese kale the best, followed by sunn hemp, daikon radish and bak choy.

I am in the process of extending the netted area as I guess that it is the only solution to the problem.

Get a dog Loong. Chickens learn pretty quick where not to go. You'll only get 1 or 2 incidences of chicken chasing before peace is returned.

Regards.

Edit: Little OT. We got a puppy for my wife's new land. Freeda, 'cause she was free. She goes next door and opens our neighbours pens and steals the chicks. She brings them back home to play with. She doesn't kill them, just makes them all wet and slobbery.laugh.png My neighbour is not too happy though as she never closes the door after her. So now we've got to muzzle her. ('til she learns to lock up after herself? smile.png )

Edited by teletiger
  • Like 1

Get a dog Loong. Chickens learn pretty quick where not to go. You'll only get 1 or 2 incidences of chicken chasing before peace is returned.

Regards.

Edit: Little OT. We got a puppy for my wife's new land. Freeda, 'cause she was free. She goes next door and opens our neighbours pens and steals the chicks. She brings them back home to play with. She doesn't kill them, just makes them all wet and slobbery.laugh.png My neighbour is not too happy though as she never closes the door after her. So now we've got to muzzle her. ('til she learns to lock up after herself? smile.png )

We have dogs tetetiger, but they will usually only chase chickens at my command. As I already mentioned, the dogs chasing the chickens can do more damage than the chickens do.

Note, my veggy plot is separate to the house plot, when I am at home, so are the dogs.

I never have to many problems, I put up a chain link fence and that keeps all but the baby chicks out, my geese chased and kill the chicks, my neighbor put up netting to keep the baby chicks out of my yard.

A fence works wonders for me!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

After I killed a few chickens with my bow, all I had to do was walk out the door with the bow, walk around a bit with it and all the chickens were gone. They're not as stupid as we think.

You know what? I don't believe a word of this. I have seen my neighbour stop chickens with a catapult so he can catch them, they don't run away when he comes out with his catapult, survivlist boy.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2