Accomodation night before

P76

I have a flight leaving from Don Muang at 12:00pm on a Monday in Feb. I would like to be there at 9:00am so I can park the the car etc.

I think it would be rather boring staying in an airport hotel the night before.

I am coming down from the north so I am thinking of spending a night in Ayuttaya.

What time would I need to leave Ayuatta to be there at 9:00am?

Any better ideas on where to stay?

I know this isn't the answer you want, but I strongly suggest staying at the Amari. Your desired arrival is 9 am. With traffic, I reckon you need to allow 2-3 hours for the drive to DMK and to park. Traffic can be heavy in the morning and I have seen the roads really congested, even at 7 am. That means a departure from Ayutthaya of at least 6 am. Do you really want to do that? (keep in mind, I don't drive in BKK, so I may be very wrong on the time estimate.) All I know was that the traffic was heavy and didn't move quickly.

I was in Ayutthaya last week, We took the train. It's about 2 hours and a bit each way. The beauty of DMK is that it is on the rail line and a 10 minute walk from the Amari. If was you, I'd stop off at Ayutthaya on the way down and get into the Amari after rush hour at around 7-8 pm. This would give you enough time to site see. To be honest, we had our fill after 3 temples and the amazing Royal Palace. We arrived at 11:30 and left on the 3;30 pm train exhausted. We had lunch at the small hotel/resto across the street from the train station. I think it's worth the visit as you will not be disappointed. The hotels in Ayutthaya ran the gamut from cheap backpacker dumps to a couple over priced places, so we were glad to snag a 2200 (incl breakfast and deluxe room) at the Amari. I think the Amari would be less stressful.

^A good call.

Geriatic offers excellent advice as the morning trip would be prolonged with the am peak even using the expressway for the final section from Rangsit to DMK, that 2-3 hrs is about right as even north of Rangsit, Phahonyothin rd can be a slow moving car park during the am peak.....why have that stress just before your flight.

I know this isn't the answer you want, but I strongly suggest staying at the Amari. Your desired arrival is 9 am. With traffic, I reckon you need to allow 2-3 hours for the drive to DMK and to park. Traffic can be heavy in the morning and I have seen the roads really congested, even at 7 am. That means a departure from Ayutthaya of at least 6 am.

One thing to note is that there are a number of hotel options within 10-15mins of the airport but Amari obviously has the choice and easiest location. In the past, some people using the Amari left their car in their car park if it was only a few days - that might still be an option if it suits you.

My car is from "Thai rent a car" who have an office at Don Muang so was going to try and leave it with them. Plan B is to leave it at the Amari.

I was looking at the Amari before I made this post, I thought I might have a better night in Ayuttaya.

I will still drop in there as Geriatric suggests, in my many visits to Thailand its a place I have only driven past.

Thanks Guys.

• 1 month later...

I stayed at the Amari, nice hotel and very good airport access, 5 min walk.

Left my car there for 5 days. My parking ticket stated I would be charged 270bht per day. On my way out of the gate, the parking attendant just gave me a salute and waved me on, np charge.

Would stay there again if flying frpm Don Muang.

• Like 1

Left my car there for 5 days. My parking ticket stated I would be charged 270bht per day. On my way out of the gate, the parking attendant just gave me a salute and waved me on, np charge.

Great news!

Never had an hotel in Thailand where I needed to pay for parking.

At Pullman Khon Kaen e.g. you need to have your ticket stamped when checking out.

I think the point being made is that the car was parked in the Amari car park after the poster had checked out. That's a different ball game

Nice to hear the Amari is good. We will be staying there in March. Always nice to hear a good review on your chosen hotel.