What plants can I put here?

Can anyone recommend what plants I put along my side fence for privacy?

I have a couple of clumps of golden bamboo and quite a few fiscus 'something' hedge trees. I expect they'll take a couple of years to grow high. I want some fast growing thick plants - thanks.

post-11421-0-96526800-1389244719_thumb.j

Try heliconia (do a Google look up of "heliconia" and click on "images"). In Thailand they are called "don bird" or the "bird plant" because of their beautiful flowers (It is also called the "false bird of paradise"). They grow fast and thick, need almost no care except for some watering, and will completely block out your neighbor's yard in just a few months. There are many varieties but you should chose the big leaved, tall ones. Most plant nurseries will carry them.

Try some of the ginger plant varieties. There are many that are available in Thai nurseries. I have grown some and they were very fast growing and very leafy. Tell the nursery people what you require and they are sure to help you choose something suitable.

• Like 1

I would go for a line of Bananas. They grow super fast, deliver food to both sides of the fence, and keep dust and noise away. The higher growing kind will go up to four meters and give you perfect privacy as well. There should be some ground water available though.

• Like 1

i would stay away from running bamboo,clumping varieties better,but can grow very tall,banana good,bird of paradise good,bouganville okay,if you trim it,but has nasty thorns,maybe long term a few mango trees,but i would suggest you lean them in toward your property or the nieghbours will pick them off.

i would stay away from running bamboo,clumping varieties better,but can grow very tall,banana good,bird of paradise good,bouganville okay,if you trim it,but has nasty thorns,maybe long term a few mango trees,but i would suggest you lean them in toward your property or the nieghbours will pick them off.

I like the sound of this bouganville....does it grow thickly from the ground up...as in like a good hedge?

Try heliconia (do a Google look up of "heliconia" and click on "images"). In Thailand they are called "don bird" or the "bird plant" because of their beautiful flowers (It is also called the "false bird of paradise"). They grow fast and thick, need almost no care except for some watering, and will completely block out your neighbor's yard in just a few months. There are many varieties but you should chose the big leaved, tall ones. Most plant nurseries will carry them.

I think I might have some of them but never seen any flowers.

Is this hpost-11421-0-00577500-1389431965_thumb.jeliconia?

Maybe I can 'breed' them?

Forget bamboo unless you want a make work project in shearing and pruning it every month or two... facepalm.gif

Heleconia, will need to be divided up every two or three years... but does make a good barrier...

Bougainvillea is ok if you keep on top of shearing it occasionally...

My choice would be Hibiscus varieties... several types ....

or even this plant, (name escaping me at the moment wink.png ) easy if you can find some cuttings ... roots in a month or less!..if you keep moist while rooting...

July%252023%2520Garden%2520Jul%252023%25

or even the Peacock Flower, blooms for months on end! .... Several colours too... will help hide the house too! Does not grow too tall! and does not take much care!

DSCF2829.JPG

In a situation OP has a combination of plants would work!

I like the sound of this bouganville....does it grow thickly from the ground up...as in like a good hedge?

Also known as Rhinorepellent Grandiflora.....smile.png

Regards.

That sounds just like its exactly what I'm looking for... I live out in the sticks and for security I'd like to put up some kind of perimiter , but really dont like the thought of living in a walled in residence, I'd much rather have a hedge of sorts and preferably one that will keep those stinking village dogs from coming in and ripping out our dustbins etc too. I had a hawthorn hedge back in the UK and anybody (or anything) that made it through that thing was welcome to help themselves to whatever they could find lying about the place as far as I was concerned - it was vicious but looked pretty neat too. As you may have guessed, I'm no gardener, but I do like/appreciate a natural look for garden...