Reviving the old expats LUG (BKK)

dharmabm

A few years ago we had a pretty active linux users group meeting monthly, nothing huge but usually at least 6-8 people on a regular basis. Regulars moved on, interest waned, and it finally ended up being just myself and urandom (who has since gone back to europe) until it fizzled into the ether.

I have tried to get to the beercamp meetings, but they tend to announce the location just hours before their meetings, and i never can be that spontaneous (I have a young son and live in the 'burbs', so rarely get to the suk area for anything). I would love to try setting up a regular monthly meeting at a previously determined location to meet with some of you, have a few kind beers and just get out of the house and speak geek with a few kindred souls.

Are any of you interested in trying to get this going again? We used to meet @ Soi 8 bar (which I understand is still there but under a different name) but the location could be anywhere that is convenient to those most interested. Personally, my requirement was always Guinness on tap, but I can be flexible about that! wink.png

Please, give it some thought and discuss..... But have pity on me, I need a social life!!!

<edit> I should clarify, the topic is not 'old expats' LUG, but 'old' expats 'LUG', khao jai mai? No age requirements involved! wai.gif </edit>

Edited by dharmabm

I'm in PrachuapKK but have to come to BKK every few months, could try and coincide with LUG meet, especially if the drinkies are good.

Cheers, AA

OK, so I count that as 5 of us if we wait for you. Any idea when you'll be in BKK next? Otherwise, maybe we can plan on next Wednesday or Thursday if the rest of you are available?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus SlimKat using Tapatalk

Over the next month or two I'm unlikely to get down to Hua Hin, unless on a Friday or Saturday. If in Bangkok, I'd prefer Thursday, but could manage other days with some notice. For purely selfish reasons I would have liked to suggest a pub near victory monument or the Irish pub at Muang thong thani. But thats probably worse than Sukhumvit wrt protests.

• 2 weeks later...

hey folks,

turns out i'm going to be in phuket from 18-22 of this month, would love to meet up with any fellow techno-geeks for a few beers to get away from the extended in-law family for a few hours, or i may just lose my mind before the vacation is over. anyone interested can PM me if you don't want to go public, and we don't have to talk linux or even technology in general, just figure i would have more in common with the nerds in the group. let me know.

after i get back i would like to setup a meeting for us BKK folks, maybe the last week of feb or the first week of march? those of you (all 4 or 5) who expressed interest please tell what day/week/location would suit you best and we'll try to get something together.

• 3 weeks later...

OK folks, I was going to suggest doing something tomorrow or Thursday, but to be honest I am hesitant to go anywhere near downtown right now. Is anyone up for a meet, if not this week then maybe next, and if so when and where do you propose?

edit - I just had a thought, there is a beergarden next to onnut BTS that the beercamp guys use on occasion, far enough from the troubles yet easy enough to get to. Any thoughts?

Edited by dharmabm