Does a Thai citizen need a visa to travel to Myanmar?

Yes, at this time they still require a visa. New agreements are in place which will soon allow entry without getting a visa first (see other topics on this) but no reports yet that any Thai nationals have been admitted to Myanmar without getting a visa first.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.3 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To be complete border passes are available to Thais at at least some borders which allow the person to travel in the area of the crossing. They can last for several days but do not allow travel beyond the defined areas.

Border passes are only available for land access, not for arrival by air. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Border passes are also available for foreigners. I crossed from Mae Sot to Myawaddy that way.

To be complete border passes are available to Thais at at least some borders which allow the person to travel in the area of the crossing. They can last for several days but do not allow travel beyond the defined areas.

Border passes are only available for land access, not for arrival by air. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Border passes are also available for foreigners. I crossed from Mae Sot to Myawaddy that way.

For foreigners depends on the border (and your nationality). Some borders will insist on you using your passport and stamping you out so that if you do not have a re-entry permit your original permit to swtay is finished.

This topic though was about Thais and not foreigners.

• 5 months later...

Border pass at the Thai-Myanmar immigration checkpoint and compulsory guide and hotel.

At present a foreigner crossing into Tachileik to go to Keng Tung is forced to employ a tourist guide even though he doesn't need a guide as it is not his first time but a few times already having travelled to Keng Tung. This adds up unnecessarily to the expense of travelling to Keng Tung and environs. Wonder if this is the regulation from the central government or an arbitrary one by the Tachileik immigration.

• 8 months later...

Thai passport holders cannot travel to Myanmar visa-free yet but can apply for the e-visa the same as farangs. Only Cambodians, Vietnamese Laotians and Bruneians have visa-free travel so far. Thailand is holding out on the bilateral agreement because the Burmese want it to apply to all crossing points but Thailand only agreed to air travellers coming to Thailand visa-free. So no deal.

Thai passport holders cannot travel to Myanmar visa-free yet but can apply for the e-visa the same as farangs. Only Cambodians, Vietnamese Laotians and Bruneians have visa-free travel so far. Thailand is holding out on the bilateral agreement because the Burmese want it to apply to all crossing points but Thailand only agreed to air travellers coming to Thailand visa-free. So no deal.

I did not know that. I had thought that Thais would have visa fee travel under any ASEAN agreement. Oh well - I guess we won't be visiting there any time soon.

my thai friend was going to mayanmar to look into business opportunities. i suggested that she check out whether she needed a visa. i dont need a visa i am thai, was the response.

so off she went to the airport. and back she came a few hours later. thai people need a visa to travel to myanmar, she told me. well fancy that, i replied. coffee1.gif

That is correct. But as I found out from Myawady immigration, the busiest land border checkpoint between Thailand and Myanmar and the one most foreigners use for travelling overland between the two countries, no official announcement was made that land border checkpoints allow the Cambodians, Vietnamese, Laotians, Bruneians (and Filipinos) and I also understand Indonesia in without a visa. It was simply quietly permitted starting in the last few months, as previously only air arrivals could make use of the visa exemption.

In each case, the visa exemption period is for just 14 days (rather than the 28 days visa holders get) but when I asked Myawady immigration some time ago (over a year ago) about the visa exemption for Vietnamese citizens crossing to Myanmar by land, I was told "not yet and no idea when it will be implemented". And yet the same now former official tells me the exemption has been in place at land border checkpoints with Thailand (all 4 of them) since a few months at least, possibly even a year now. That didn't do my Vietnamese friends very good when they travelled with me in November across to Myawady from Mae Sot and one of them a second time in January, when we went up to the Chinese border. Had I known they could have avoided needing to get their visas in Bangkok (or Hanoi in the case of my friend in January).

But indeed Thais don't get the privilege and no idea when they will start receiving it. Visa-free travel for Thai citizens is currently limited to day passes issued at the border for limited travel within the vicinity of the crossing and coming back the same day (or in the case of Kawthoung and Tachilek permission is granted for up to 2 weeks) only. Otherwise, a visa is still required.

• 1 year later...

It seems that some Thais travelling by air can now enter Myanmar without a visa. Anyone have any personal experience of this?

" Thai passport holders can now travel in Myanmar without a visa for 14 days provided they enter Myanmar through Yangon, Mandalay or Naypyidaw airports. The exemption is part of an agreement on visa waiver between Thailand and Myanmar. Thais wanting to enter Myanmar at other international checkpoints must have a valid visa. For more information, call the embassy at (02) 233 2237."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/travel/around_thailand/30266412

Archived