Murder fugitive in Phuket land dispute surrenders to police

webfact

Murder fugitive in Phuket land dispute surrenders to police
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2014110112421750_cuQcCDbICfit
Supongdeth Vetchatam, 53, told police that he shot dead land-rival Echa Yala in self-defense. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- The man wanted for shooting dead a rival in a land dispute yesterday surrendered to Phuket police last night.

Supongdeth Vetchatam, 53, presented himself at the Phuket City Police Station at about 7:30pm. He brought with him his lawyer and the murder weapon – a Smith & Wesson .357 revolver.

Mr Supongdeth told police that he fatally shot Echa Yala, 49, in self-defense. Mr Echa was shot three times, twice in the head (story here).

“I have owned the land for nine years. I grow coconut trees on it,” Mr Supongdeth told police. “I even fenced it off so people would know that it's private property.”

After inspecting the land on Tuesday, he found parts of the fence had been removed.

“I heard Mr Echa was the one who removed the fence and I filed a complaint with police that same day,” Mr Supongdeth explained.

The fatal confrontation occurred after Mr Supongdeth brought workers to rebuild the fence.

“I caught Mr Echa clearing the land. We started arguing, and he threatened me with his scythe,” he said.

“He started coming toward me, so I went back to my car and got my gun. I fired two warning shots into the air, but he kept coming toward me, so I shot him and ran away,” Mr Supongdeth told police.

Lt Col Anek Mongkol of the Phuket City Police confirmed that police had found a hand scythe at the scene yesterday afternoon.

“We also found a gun holster,” he said.

Col Anek also confirmed that Mr Supongdeth did not present any documents to prove he legally owned the land.

Mr Supongdeth was charged with murder and released on bail for an undisclosed amount.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Murder-fugitive-in-Phuket-land-dispute-surrenders-to-police-23242.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-01-10

Phuket shooter surrenders to police
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Suphongdet Waetchatam, 53, from Phuket, has surrendered to police and admitted to killing E-cha Tala yesterday (January 9) after a furious row in Mr E-cha’s garden in Koh Kaew.

Suphongdet will appear in court later today (January 10) and is expected to get bail pending his trial on a charge of murder.

Police were already closing in on him, thanks to information provided by Mr E-cha’s wife Sangwarn, who witnessed yesterday's shooting and was able to give investigators the license plate number of the white Toyota Fortuner driven by the shooter.

She said that after a furious argument Suphongdet drew a .38 pistol and shot Mr E-cha in the face and then, after he fell to the ground, shot him twice more, in the stomach and in the ear.

She added that, a few days before, her husband had been visited by three people and a man she described as a plainclothes policeman to discuss a land ownership dispute.

Phuket Town Police superintendent Pol Col Sermphan Sirikong said investigators believe this dispute was likely behind the shooting.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-shooter-surrenders-to-police-43941.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-01-10

@ KarenBravo Yeah right!

Happens in England too, you know.

[in December, two men - a 31-year-old and a 34-year-old - arrested on suspicion of murder were bailed to a date in February.

A 24-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder on 3 January was also bailed to a date in February.]

SOURCE: BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25678041

@ KarenBravo Yeah right!

[in December, two men - a 31-year-old and a 34-year-old - arrested on suspicion of murder were bailed to a date in February.

A 24-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder on 3 January was also bailed to a date in February.]

There is a big difference between 'arrested on suspicion" and "I killed him and ran away"...

If they were charged with murder then they wouldn't have been bailed.

Edited by cornishcarlos
  • Like 1

If Supongdeth's story is correct with regards to the deceased having threatened him and approached with a weapon then it couldn't be murder as it was not a premeditated cold blood killing. It surely would have to be defined as a manslaughter?

That's if his story is valid and there was no ulterior premeditated motive.

Really ? Self defence when he has had time to get away go to his car to get his gun and then shoot him 3 times. Why is he carrying a gun in the car in the first place?

Sounds like premeditated murder!

Why is he carrying a gun in the car in the first place?

You'd probably be amazed at how many Thais carry a gun in the car at all times....

Thats why it doesn't pay to flip the bird or whatever at crazy drivers in LOS..you never know who is armed and w00t.gif enough to ''save face'' by gun...

• Like 1

@ KarenBravo Yeah right!

suspicion is not admisssion of actual murder ...... thai appoligist!!!!!!!!

Really ? Self defence when he has had time to get away go to his car to get his gun and then shoot him 3 times. Why is he carrying a gun in the car in the first place?

1. Just because he had a gun in his car doesn't make it premeditated!

2. If he really wanted to kill the guy he probably would've had the gun on him and not in his car.

3. Yeah, self-defense. If the guy came after him with a scythe, as the shooter said, and he was able to run just a tad faster, fast enough to get his gun out of the car, then it was self-defense.

"Thai appologist (sic)"? Seems the Baker feels the entire nation to be in need of defense by a farang on a Thai Visa forum? Last I heard, even after a confession, a self-proclaimed murderer is still considered a suspected or alleged murderer until found guilty by a recognized judicial official. Such an individual is more often than not eligible for bail and will be granted same, again by a recognized court official, except under certain well-defined circumstances (e.g. considered a flight risk, a danger to self or others). The git has got himself a decent lawyer, taken the time to get a story straight, and turned himself in. I have no doubt he'll walk, just as OJ did.

• Like 1

Why is he carrying a gun in the car in the first place?

You'd probably be amazed at how many Thais carry a gun in the car at all times....

Thats why it doesn't pay to flip the bird or whatever at crazy drivers in LOS..you never know who is armed and w00t.gif enough to ''save face'' by gun...

I agree. Road rage is simmering just below the surface, even a short toot on the horn as a warning can get some drivers riled up. I reckon there is a high percentage of drivers with a gun or other lethal weapon in their vehicle.

• Like 1