US Embassy in Bangkok advises citizens to stock a two week supply of cash, food and medicine

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2010 I lived just off Rangnam Road; near enough to the redshirts village to keep a wary eye on news but far enough not to have daily life affected. However, when the army moved in their barbed-wire enclosure included my condo block. Rangnam Road was deserted, food was gone within 2 days, plus occasional power and mobile phone outages.

Just to say, things can change quickly, and it depends on where you live.

Re food: noodles, rice, pasta etc sound great but they are inedible without some boiling water. With both threats and assurances about utilities, stock up on foods that are immediately eatable - but then again, fasting diets are becoming popular!

Anyone read the Survival Guide in the other English language newspaper today from Chalit Limpanavech, Marketing Association of Thailand? He thinks the shutdown won't last long because people would suffer if it did and the PDRC don't want that. In his opinion, unlike 2010 this protest involves educated people... if any violence occurs the Army will be asked to step in... see, nothing to worry about...

There a difference between being prudent and having a plan vs. being a "scaredy cat".

Embassy is just typical government weenies trying to look productive and helpful while really just covering their <deleted> by spoon-feeding info to the lowest common denominator out there.

• Like 1

thanks for the warning, i am heading now to the drugstore!

let see 14 days, 4 time a days that make 14 x 4 = 56

so i will need 56 condoms pack of condomslaugh.png

so glad to see your calculator still has batteries, perhaps stock up smile.png

• Like 1

Typical American over-reaction.

I am 100% certain that at the end of 2 weeks, I'll still be able to withdraw cash and buy food and water.

I'm surprised they didn't tell us to put up barbed wire around our compounds and lay down concrete blocks in the road.

Maybe hideout in a Radiation proof safe room and cling to out assault rifles for dear life.....

cowboy.gif

• Like 1

i am an American and when I was a kid everyone who could afford it built bomb shelters because the Russians might come. It could not hurt to have some good water but you will always need that. Don't worry the Thais are not going to be without food so why would an American.

• Like 1

i am an American and when I was a kid everyone who could afford it built bomb shelters because the Russians might come. It could not hurt to have some good water but you will always need that. Don't worry the Thais are not going to be without food so why would an American.

My family had such a bomb shelter. I was living at a direct target. Learning the history later, full scale nuclear war between Russia and the USA actually was very, very close to happening then. We were really lucky. Hope we stay lucky here in Thailand!

Edited by Jingthing

It's all going to be ok so long as everyone doesn't do anything stupid like start shooting, then watch all those well stocked stores shut up shop real quick. The CEO of The Mall has already said, one bullet gets fired and they start closing nearby supermarkets. I'm outside of Bangkok and last Sunday was the busiest I've seen it in Tesco since the floods. Now where did I store the boat...