US Embassy in Bangkok advises citizens to stock a two week supply of cash, food and medicine

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am an American and when I was a kid everyone who could afford it built bomb shelters because the Russians might come. It could not hurt to have some good water but you will always need that. Don't worry the Thais are not going to be without food so why would an American.

My family had such a bomb shelter. I was living at a direct target. Learning the history later, full scale nuclear war between Russia and the USA actually was very, very close to happening then. We were really lucky. Hope we stay lucky here in Thailand!

If you were a direct target a home made bomb shelter wouldn't have helped much - few military ones would have either unless very deep. With high yield nuclear weapons since the early 80s, it would been a few millennia before you could safely emerge :)

sounds good, no americans on the street for two weeks yippee. everyone else can just get their supplies from seven11 as usual. seven11 stays open 24 hrs a day 366 days a year through sunshine. rain. floods. coups, earthquakes, thaiphoons and global nuclear war

Edited by Big Pinkie

It's all going to be ok so long as everyone doesn't do anything stupid like start shooting, then watch all those well stocked stores shut up shop real quick. The CEO of The Mall has already said, one bullet gets fired and they start closing nearby supermarkets. I'm outside of Bangkok and last Sunday was the busiest I've seen it in Tesco since the floods. Now where did I store the boat...

Very likely there will be violence, and shooting.. And we have a civil war.

Everything is moving towards that. Violent confict is pretty much certainty now.

i am an American and when I was a kid everyone who could afford it built bomb shelters because the Russians might come. It could not hurt to have some good water but you will always need that. Don't worry the Thais are not going to be without food so why would an American.

My family had such a bomb shelter. I was living at a direct target. Learning the history later, full scale nuclear war between Russia and the USA actually was very, very close to happening then. We were really lucky. Hope we stay lucky here in Thailand!

If you were a direct target a home made bomb shelter wouldn't have helped much - few military ones would have either unless very deep. With high yield nuclear weapons since the early 80s, it would been a few millennia before you could safely emerge smile.png

I agree. We would have been toast! It was kind of fun though at the time. True adventure! Duck and cover!

Edited by Jingthing

Prudent Advise.

Supply and Food Problems in 2006, 2008, and 2010 and during the floods.

As well many Bangkok Expats were caught in the firefight and riot areas.

Obviousely those taking this advice lightly have not been here ong enough or are a Breed that would not properly prepare and evcuate on a Tsunami or Typhoon Warnings.

No Toile Papaer

No bottled Water

No Food Stuffs

No BEER or Alcohol

No Electricity

No Phone or Mobile Service

Can Not Go Out of your Property Safely

The list is Endless

I have been here in Bangkok for 30 years, lived through many coups and demos as well as floods and never had a problem getting food, beer, electricity, phones etc. Never felt unsafe and have walked past many a tank in various coups. Problems are confined to small areas only. Demos you can avoid and do not buy a house on what used to be a rice paddy or prawn farm.

• Like 1

How quickly everyone forgets. Wasn't it just a couple years ago that the floods interrupted the supply lines in this country and you couldn't get toilet paper and bottled water here in Chiang Mai for weeks?

I remember what it was like trying to find essential items like kitty litter and brown rice. I see nothing wrong with stocking up on essential items, knowing the way the centralized distribution channels for manufactured goods work in this country. The management of our local Tops, Tesco-Lotus,7-11, etc don't seem to have any independent purchasing authority. Like so much in so many sectors in this country, all the decision-making comes from Bangkok and if everyone stays away from work in Bangkok, no decisions get made.

Is there any harm in having a couple weeks supply of cat food around .... just in case?

Yes! During floods of fall 2011, in Pattaya there were days when 7 11 were out of drinking water. Shortages for almost for almost every basic item.

But reading this thread, half the people are ridiculing US embassy warning, many here say everything will be alright.

It will not be alright. With road blocks, even 2 days of delivery disruptions, there will be shortages of most everything.

How slow, how clueless you have to be to not understand how serious this is becoming?

• Like 1

good advice.

things could get ugly.

I would get a 1m supply and be prepared for an extended stay indoors if living in BKK.

Where is Local Drunk now, stating 3 days ago to relax, lay back and have a drink on him? Sheraton Sukhumvit Grande closes all F & B places. Accommodation tumbled in pricing. Businessmen I know booked flights to Singapore etc.

No, lay back and relax.

How quickly everyone forgets. Wasn't it just a couple years ago that the floods interrupted the supply lines in this country and you couldn't get toilet paper and bottled water here in Chiang Mai for weeks?

I remember what it was like trying to find essential items like kitty litter and brown rice. I see nothing wrong with stocking up on essential items, knowing the way the centralized distribution channels for manufactured goods work in this country. The management of our local Tops, Tesco-Lotus,7-11, etc don't seem to have any independent purchasing authority. Like so much in so many sectors in this country, all the decision-making comes from Bangkok and if everyone stays away from work in Bangkok, no decisions get made.

Is there any harm in having a couple weeks supply of cat food around .... just in case?

Why ? Because the embassy said you should or you would do it anyway on your own ?

First of all, on Monday and Tuesday nothing will happen. On Wednesday and after, something might happen, but you'll know on Tuesday at which point you can go and get food for 3-4 days, what ppeople usually do. Case of eggs, milk, bacon whatever you're eating. In 3-4 days you gonna figure out a way (without thinking at all, same as every other day or almost) to get food for next 3-4 days... etc.

I can already see bunch of scared-of-everything americans/europeans walking around big c pushing those carts filled with food and other bs they don't need. Such an image pisses me off. Probably because I grew up in war so for me this is laughable... protests and the reaction of foreigners on a first sign of trouble.

It makes me feel ashamed.

The Trolljan War?

Yes! During floods of fall 2011, in Pattaya there were days when 7 11 were out of drinking water. Shortages for almost for almost every basic item.

But reading this thread, half the people are ridiculing US embassy warning, many here say everything will be alright.

It will not be alright. With road blocks, even 2 days of delivery disruptions, there will be shortages of most everything.

How slow, how clueless you have to be to not understand how serious this is becoming?

With + 4.000 persons of staff of which many dedicate themselves to Intelligence gathering, the US Embassy is the best source of info when it comes to this kind of possible (SUTHEP) misery.

• Like 2

Valgehiir, if worst case scenario happens (which is not gonna happen) only retarded foreigner will not be able to find food on his own.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, since it seems you want this all to happen. I know people like you, have couple of friends like that.

Everybody with a brain will not have problems. But maybe therein lies the problem. Brains.

• Like 1

Scaremongering of the highest order from the most paranoid government on the planet

Agree 100%. From someone who lived through all the I.R.A. troubles in London and coups and troubles here.

The ambassador would do well to read an out of print (but still available) book by one of her countrywomen ----- Mai Pen Rai by the late Carol Hollinger.

The account of an American wife of a U.S. diplomat here and the attempts of the U.S. government and it's 'nanny state' to cocoon it's staff here.

I think published about 1993 but still true today ---- and it's hilarious.

Edited by Patanawet
  • Like 1

Why ? Because the embassy said you should or you would do it anyway on your own ?

First of all, on Monday and Tuesday nothing will happen. On Wednesday and after, something might happen, but you'll know on Tuesday at which point you can go and get food for 3-4 days, what ppeople usually do. Case of eggs, milk, bacon whatever you're eating. In 3-4 days you gonna figure out a way (without thinking at all, same as every other day or almost) to get food for next 3-4 days... etc.

I can already see bunch of scared-of-everything americans/europeans walking around big c pushing those carts filled with food and other bs they don't need. Such an image pisses me off. Probably because I grew up in war so for me this is laughable... protests and the reaction of foreigners on a first sign of trouble.

It makes me feel ashamed.

The Trolljan War?

That's an ongoing one.

Valgehiir, if worst case scenario happens (which is not gonna happen) only retarded foreigner will not be able to find food on his own.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, since it seems you want this all to happen. I know people like you, have couple of friends like that.

Everybody with a brain will not have problems. But maybe therein lies the problem. Brains.

You dont know anything about me, or people like me. Pls stop your offtopic crap.

I have been here in Bangkok for 30 years, lived through many coups and demos as well as floods and never had a problem getting food, beer, electricity, phones etc. Never felt unsafe and have walked past many a tank in various coups. Problems are confined to small areas only. Demos you can avoid and do not buy a house on what used to be a rice paddy or prawn farm.

Sure, and there's a huge difference between a 30 year veteran who speaks the language, has a Thai family and knows all the shops and the shortcuts and what areas to avoid, and a tourist fresh off the airplane on holiday.

Look at a map of Khao San Road and how close it is to ground zero.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Dear Valued Grande Club Member

Due to the planned political protest and the uncertain circumstances surrounding the area close to the hotel please be advised that the hotel restaurants will change the operating hours as below.

We will monitor the situation on a daily basis and if further changes are made we will inform you.

Effective from Monday, 13 January 2014 until further notice

Rossini’s - Closed for lunch, dinner operating as usual

Basil - Closed for lunch, dinner operating as usual

Sala - Breakfast buffet cancelled on weekdays (Monday-Friday), Weekend (Saturday-Sunday) is operating as usual

Orchid Caf? - Dinner buffet is cancelled, a la carte available only

Please do not hesitate to contact me direct

Best Regards

Grande Club Director

sounds good, no americans on the street for two weeks yippee. everyone else can just get their supplies from seven11 as usual. seven11 stays open 24 hrs a day through sunshine. rain. floods. coups, and nuclear war

You ever see how much stock a 7/11 carries? A few hours worth of the high volume items. If traffic gets all snarled up and they can't take deliveries every day, they'll run out of your favorite food and beverage by the second day.

You apparently weren't around in 2011 to see the empty 7/11 shelves when they couldn't take deliveries because of the floods- floods that didn't come within a several miles of my local 7/11, yet the shelves were bare.

if you aint got a picture it aint truDSC00994.jpgDSC00993.jpg

• Like 1

Ridiculous. Once again, America shows itself to be the premiere scaredy-cat nation on earth.

what a nit wit post from you.

If they did not advise and something happened they would be wrong.

Just because it is the US government. Eh?

The first one your country will run to when in trouble.

And no, I am not American.

They have done what they are supposed to do

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

Apart from not writing very nice to a fellow member; what makes you so sure the worst case scenario is not going to happen. Happy Pizza's or so? In my humble opinion, and since history always follows a certain pattern, the timing has now come for the real blow-out between the extremely diversed Thai society. I am not a doom-thinker; I just read, watch and use my brains.

• Like 1