US Embassy in Bangkok advises citizens to stock a two week supply of cash, food and medicine

Jonathan Fairfield

Just go to Isaan for a few weeks. Plenty of food, nice people and no lunatics.

Yea, they just got Redshirts....the Land of Redshirt Villages....that is, the protest lunatics from a few years ago. What goes around, comes around. wink.png

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Rick is very right. Apart from the fact without American investments in Thailand this country would look like a Bangkokian Tesco next week. From automotive till heavy equipment, oil and gas, gearment, + + +. My Dutch Embassy didn't issue a warning yet. They are busy copy / pasting the US message. Lovely officials/diplomats.....

• Like 2

Just go to Isaan for a few weeks. Plenty of food, nice people and no lunatics.

And where do you think Isaan gets its stock from?

Advising people to come and deplete your stock is very civil, but not too clever..........wink.png

tongue.png

When I used to live there, most of the food we ate came out of the fields, forests and rivers/lakes. Nowadays I suppose it comes from 7-11, Big C and Tescos. How times have changed! sad.png

• Like 1

By the way, there is a big hoorah going on at an assembly area at the municipal hall down the street from where I live. Looks like the Red Shirts are mobilizing to counter the Bangkok Shutdown. My gal says they will be loading up the busses.

Good luck....stock up on necessities...like beer. Stay out of the hot zones.

U.S. Embassy is right to play it up on the safe side.

I dont see anybody running away..

wake up.

It's good to know there are so many tough guys here, growing up with bombs falling around them running fearlessly into the fray.

And not giving a reminder to families and elderly tourists makes you tough too.

One of you tough guys should walk up to an American (hopefully me) and call him a pussy to his face.

Exactly my guess is most of these guys are the same poor old sots I see drinking themselves to death everyday I pass the bars. Most of the time they are European especially the English(Nothing against the English some of my friends are from England and they will tell you its national pride to be able to throw up,pass out and drink some more 4 days strait!)

cheesy.gif This guy pumpuiman really thinks its important to challenge Americans by calling them pussy.

That is pretty gay.

By the way, there is a big hoorah going on at an assembly area at the municipal hall down the street from where I live. Looks like the Red Shirts are mobilizing to counter the Bangkok Shutdown. My gal says they will be loading up the busses.

wake up.

Which province are you in?

Hopefully the reds and funny colours won't clash in Bangkok. However, I am not sure how protesting upcountry will influence anything when people in the N and NE have already decided who will get their money at the next election. The country is polarized.

wake up.

Which province are you in?

Hopefully the reds and funny colours won't clash in Bangkok. However, I am not sure how protesting upcountry will influence anything when people in the N and NE have already decided who will get their money at the next election. The country is polarized.

I am in Udon...2 blocks from the assembly area. My girl can hear the banter on the speakers. They are going to try to stop the shutdown.... looks like they are pretty serious...

It's good to know there are so many tough guys here, growing up with bombs falling around them running fearlessly into the fray.

And not giving a reminder to families and elderly tourists makes you tough too.

One of you tough guys should walk up to an American (hopefully me) and call him a pussy to his face.

Well, there's an intelligent reply.

18:47 --- the Chang beginning to take effect is it?

This thread was about the warning from the U.S. Embassy and whether it was fearmongering or not.

I always keep 10 to 14 days supply of food and water in the house. What is it with the Euros, here? Do they all live hand to mouth?

Each to their own. I prefer to eat fresh produce rather than frozen, tinned etc.

Edited by delh

Scaring. Just did a due diligence check on the webpage of the Royal Dutch Embasy in BKK. "On top of the world. Dutch chemical sector" . They talk about chemicals. Not stockpiling food nor preparing for the worst. if you see fumes next week, think Dutch.

Do us all a favour, and buy up all the Heineken stocks, good riddance!

Thanks for the warning yawning

Might be good precaution for tourists and noobs in bkk. Everyone else, another overreaction even if the roof does blow.

A real test for their Intelligence efforts. I read this as far more than a travel advisory. So if nothing happens, a real boy cried wolf story there.

Wife has not a care in the world. We will muddle on, bfd.

I'll be sure to pick up a liter of Scotch tomorrow.

Water comes out of a tap. I could lose two kg as my wife. No one farang in.bkk.is going to die ofbstarvation 555.

We are headed to Cambodia for CNY.

To all new arrivals, this is Thailand. Thisvstuff has been brewing fir over a decade. Dry your panties and suck it up or get on the plane.

Edited by fifthcolumn

How quickly everyone forgets. Wasn't it just a couple years ago that the floods interrupted the supply lines in this country and you couldn't get toilet paper and bottled water here in Chiang Mai for weeks?

I remember what it was like trying to find essential items like kitty litter and brown rice. I see nothing wrong with stocking up on essential items, knowing the way the centralized distribution channels for manufactured goods work in this country. The management of our local Tops, Tesco-Lotus,7-11, etc don't seem to have any independent purchasing authority. Like so much in so many sectors in this country, all the decision-making comes from Bangkok and if everyone stays away from work in Bangkok, no decisions get made.

Is there any harm in having a couple weeks supply of cat food around .... just in case?

Exactly Nancyl. We are located down South but that not helps on supplies when more or less everything comes from Bangkok.