A good and Reasonably priced hotel in Ubon city centre

ryro88

Think you will find that Tokyo rooms are now +100 baht above your price guide Sirchai. Prices went up about 4 months ago. Phadaeng and Chatsuree are better in that unbreakfasted category at 500 baht for a kingsize or two single beds. They are newer mansion hotels, therefore newer feel, eg 42" LCD TV's and non-ticky-tacky wardrobes; you will also get free coffee (+ maybe Chinese donuts at Phadaeng). No extras at Tokyo (other than those of a certain payable variety proffered by the notorious boom2 salesman carparking guy smile.png).

650 baht would get you a room at Outside Inn OP. Rooms are similar in kit and feel, but you would get more personable (American+Thai) service, Tex-Mex (+Thia) food on hand and a falang breakfast (fruit/juices/coffee/toast/eggs) included. Worth it in my view, if you don't need to be located right in the centre of town. Worth knowing for tourists that Outside Inn also rents out its own cycles and step thru motorbikes.

T3 House is another very central newish mansion and apparently well-regarded. (rated No 1 of 24 on Agoda). Prices are however now creeping up (to meet high ratings/high occupancy demand I suspect). I'm giving that a whirl this weekend - 700 baht, even prepaying through Agoda. Pretty sure you could get it at 550 baht a year ago.

If you want to go on the cheaper side, you may get close ish to 400 baht a night for a kingsize at A+. Slightly off-central. That's on my target list to try out sometime. At the higher (and highest available) end my recommendations would be Tohsang City (say 1,000 to 1,200) and Sunnee (say 1,400 to 1,750)

Everyone has their own views/priorities of course. I visit Ubon every month and try to get around - I have no allegiances to any of the above and have stayed in all mentioned here except T3 and A+.

That's what I'd call a perfect answer. Your posts are always very informative, my appreciation.

Thanks for sharing. I'm living (working) here from Monday to Friday since three years and it seems I don't know much about Ubon.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

Hey burgan do you know any hotels close to nam yuen?

There is a wonderful Farmstay about 13km west of Nam Yuen, called the Suan Loong Daeng. Very friendly staff, good food and clean chalet rooms for about 500 baht. Definitely the place to stay if passing through. They have their own website.

• Like 1

There is a wonderful Farmstay about 13km west of Nam Yuen, called the Suan Loong Daeng. Very friendly staff, good food and clean chalet rooms for about 500 baht. Definitely the place to stay if passing through. They have their own website.

Agreed! Best place to stay! thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Agreed! Best place to stay! thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

And the beer is always cold

burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

The Rathchathani in the middle of the city. Always clean and quiet.

My vote for the last 7-8 visits to Ubon! Great location, especially close to city park where there are many excellent night food vendors. Airport transfers available, and a reasonably good restaurant on the lobby level. Rooms are humble, but clean.

post-108400-0-36273000-1390201324_thumb.

post-108400-0-91624800-1390201325_thumb.

Edited by Fookhaht

The Rathchathani in the middle of the city. Always clean and quiet.

My vote for the last 7-8 visits to Ubon! Great location, especially close to city park where there are many excellent night food vendors. Airport transfers available, and a reasonably good restaurant on the lobby level. Rooms are humble, but clean.

attachicon.gifUbon_RatchathaniHotel_Photo.jpg

attachicon.gifUbon_RatchathaniHotelMap.jpg

Agreed. I first stayed there in November 1974. Humble yes, but clean and quiet. Lots of changes since but the location is superb. Back in the 1970s the restaurant had great band. That is where I first heard the Bee Gees hit "Too Much heaven" in 1978. Needless to say, the trousers were tight and cuffs very wide!

However, there are other hotels around the city but as the OP wanted a reasonable priced hotel in the city centre, I recomend The Ratchathani. Other hotels are further out.

• Like 1

When I recommended the The Ratchathani I wasn’t thinking about night life at all but rather its location for a visitor to the city and being to walk to many places.

One can walk to Tung Sri Muang. Always pleasant in the evenings or early morning. There is the excellent small museum 100 m away and several well-kept temples on either side of the park.

At night the walking street market which starts outside the hotel may be of interest. 100 m away is the Ubon hotel and on the 9th floor is an old-fashion nightclub where one can dance and listen to pleasant music. I think there is also a club in the Srikamong hotel just up the street.

Breakfast at the The Ratchathani is not the best. I recommend to skip that and walk down the street 50 m to an old wooden restaurant where one can have ham and eggs, toast, coffee and lots of other food. At night the Full Moon restaurant on the Mun River offers seafood and a small band plays music. The Ratchathani does offer good lunches and dinners.

The Sri Esarn is another option for a cheap but clean hotel. Its restaurant is good for Thai-Chinese food. With the “doing up” of the river bank this area has become more attractive.

On one last note. The Nevada hotel has closed its doors. Family dispute. It was never well run anyway. I wonder what will happen to it now?

Yes I like the ambience of that old wooden Chinese shop house. It's just a pity that the old Chinese lady seems to scowl at falang - or at least she seems to scowl at mefacepalm.gif. You probably charmed her long ago though!

Must check out the old fashioned night club in the Ubon hotel. Agree with you about the riverfront being an up and coming (back) area. It's a pity really that the entertainment venues seem to have positioned themselves in the middle and northern areas of town - those areas have very little to recommend for themselves aesthetically; it would be nice if the old downtown started to get some of the buzz, it must once have had, back.

Yes I've stayed in the Sri Isaan maybe 3 years ago. It was good value (about 450 baht then as I remember).

Strange that about the Nevada. Was in town yesterday checking out Hash House Harrier runs and I noticed a big billboard sign on the northwest corner of Thung Si Meuang advertising revamped rooms at the Nevada for 450 baht a night; I made a mental note to put them on the try-out list. Just another hotel where the cash-stripping lack of care & maintenance finally comes home to roost I would guess. Even the T3 House, which seems to be flavour of the month new item in Ubon value hotels at the moment, had a bathroom last weekend that had clearly had no attention, as in redecoration after an obvious leak, and no cleaning (lots of those hanging larvae). Hoteliers in Thailand just don't get it, do they?

• Like 1