Cotton/polyester Blend Shirts Too Hot For Farmers?

Carmine6

My girlfriends father asked if I had some old shirts that he could have. Luckily, I have tons that I've been too lazy to take in to donate. So I'm going to just load my suitcase next time. They will be oversize for him since I probably outweigh him by 40 pounds, so that'll help with ventilation.

But, since most of the long sleeve shirts are business casual shirts, I'm worried that they'll be too hot for him to wear. I don't want to have him keeling over from heat stroke. The weave is very tight and some are cotton/poly blends. I'm even worried about the all cotton ones.

Anyway, I don't know what the common farmer's shirts are like over there. They seem to be a pretty tight weave to keep the sun out, but I'm guessing they're probably natural materials.

Does anyone think there'll be a problem with cotton/poly blends? My best looking shirts tend to be blends.

My girlfriends father asked if I had some old shirts that he could have. Luckily, I have tons that I've been too lazy to take in to donate. So I'm going to just load my suitcase next time. They will be oversize for him since I probably outweigh him by 40 pounds, so that'll help with ventilation.

But, since most of the long sleeve shirts are business casual shirts, I'm worried that they'll be too hot for him to wear. I don't want to have him keeling over from heat stroke. The weave is very tight and some are cotton/poly blends. I'm even worried about the all cotton ones.

Anyway, I don't know what the common farmer's shirts are like over there. They seem to be a pretty tight weave to keep the sun out, but I'm guessing they're probably natural materials.

Does anyone think there'll be a problem with cotton/poly blends? My best looking shirts tend to be blends.

Both my wife and I do the same kind of thing each time we go back to the Isaan. We've even brought sleeping bags and ice chests... About the shirts, though. Forget anything that's got a long sleeve, unless its warm cotton or flannel for winter. Most shirts should be short sleeves and NO polyester. Polyester does not breathe very well. Silk works well and dries fast, also. Bring your smallest shirts, so they will most closely match Khun Paw's size... Hope this helps. :o

LS has the right idea but I have found that it's best to bring anything and everything that you don't want . Someone in the village will be able to use it , if not the father in law . Plus he will look good giving the stuff away .

I go to garage sales here in the U.S. and fill up extra suitcases with all sorts of clothes .

Thanks. I guess I'll lean towards cottons, but bring a few of the nicer looking ones as well. Can always be worn at night and during the winter.

Never really thought about garage sales. The family is reasonably well off themselves, but they do feed a lot of the neighbor kids durng the day and then have people over at night. So other clothes would definitely end up in needier hands.

Thanks. I guess I'll lean towards cottons, but bring a few of the nicer looking ones as well. Can always be worn at night and during the winter.

Never really thought about garage sales. The family is reasonably well off themselves, but they do feed a lot of the neighbor kids durng the day and then have people over at night. So other clothes would definitely end up in needier hands.

Also, just double-check with your GF if there are any stigmas associated with used clothing in your GF's town/village. We generally do not bring much used clothes with us anymore, as people in our village have a thing about wearing clothes other people have already worn. Our family does not much mind, as long as it is OUR clothes and not stuff we picked up where the origins of wearage are unknown. :o

Also, just double-check with your GF if there are any stigmas associated with used clothing in your GF's town/village. We generally do not bring much used clothes with us anymore, as people in our village have a thing about wearing clothes other people have already worn. Our family does not much mind, as long as it is OUR clothes and not stuff we picked up where the origins of wearage are unknown. :o

Im guessing that the more well off a village or family may be the more stigmas they may have .

My wife's family's village is dirt poor and they are very happy to have any clothing . Granted most of the items are as close to new as I can find and I would not bring anything that looked used .

Im guessing that the more well off a village or family may be the more stigmas they may have .

My wife's family's village is dirt poor and they are very happy to have any clothing . Granted most of the items are as close to new as I can find and I would not bring anything that looked used .

Actually, our family is not that well off. They are typical Isaan. Have seen better days, but these are OK with Falang input... I still maintain that the average Isaan Khon Thai would feel better with new and inferior clothes than used and superior. Unfortunately, as with most things, it's the perception, not the reality... I now shop for clothes for the family in Thailand, where it is inexpensive. Stuff I bring over from the USA are things other than clothing... If clothing is all you have to give or to put in the bag, better something than nothing... Thai's do not have Western practicality about clothing.

The family house not far from Nong Bua:

thip04house1.jpg

my wifes village is fairly poor,and they love any old clothes i take up with me,naturally pop's gets first pick and then its usually better than a mike tyson fight as who gets the rest.however last time i took about 50 pairs of reading glasses wiyh me,my mother put the word out that any old glasses that wernt used would go to some old people in los,who couldnt afford to buy some,i must admit it was a good buzz watching the village people hand a book around and try wich ones were best for them.the freind who gave there old glasses were happy also,afterall what can you do with a pair of reading glasses that dont perform.

everybody i know loves the polyester stuff, shiny and colourful; or tight and black... no pink or yellow, but red, burgundy (no purple), blues greens, stripes, flowers, etc....

everybody i know loves the polyester stuff, shiny and colourful; or tight and black... no pink or yellow, but red, burgundy (no purple), blues greens, stripes, flowers, etc....

yeah...I agree and most of the stuff bought locally is a poly/cotton blend. All the fake UK football club shirts that most upcountry folks fancy are all synthetic fibres.

When in town/village for a visit just hand over the goods and let the locals decide what's cool and what isn't...there will not be a spare shirt cotton/poly/whatever left over at the end of the day, guaranteed...

yeah...I agree and most of the stuff bought locally is a poly/cotton blend. All the fake UK football club shirts that most upcountry folks fancy are all synthetic fibres.

When in town/village for a visit just hand over the goods and let the locals decide what's cool and what isn't...there will not be a spare shirt cotton/poly/whatever left over at the end of the day, guaranteed...

Sounded odd to me so I looked back at hundreds of photos and found 2 people wearing a football club shirt, one of which is a 3 yr old. Guess there are local trends. Other than that I did find a lot of clothing that was probably cotton/poly blend. Much of the kid's clothes seems to be a blend.

So, I guess the best stuff goes in the suitcase even if cotton/poly.

Both my wife and I do the same kind of thing each time we go back to the Isaan. We've even brought sleeping bags and ice chests... About the shirts, though. Forget anything that's got a long sleeve, unless its warm cotton or flannel for winter. Most shirts should be short sleeves and NO polyester. Polyester does not breathe very well. Silk works well and dries fast, also. Bring your smallest shirts, so they will most closely match Khun Paw's size... Hope this helps. :o

Carmine

If your relatives work in the fields they would prefer long sleeve shirts. Most farmers are covered head to toe in the field with hats heads scarfs or bacalavas. They will wear a cotton tee shirt under neath if the blend is too hot. The best thing the farmers like is American made military fatiques new or used

Thai Ranger

Carmine

If your relatives work in the fields they would prefer long sleeve shirts. Most farmers are covered head to toe in the field with hats heads scarfs or bacalavas. They will wear a cotton tee shirt under neath if the blend is too hot. The best thing the farmers like is American made military fatiques new or used

Thai Ranger

Woah, not so fast there, someone might start getting ideas. It's my girlfriend's family.

But yeah, I was asking about long sleeve shirts. I've backpacked through the Mojave desert in August, but 1/2 hour in the fields would probably do me in. He'll get to choose as I'm bringing some that are better for work and some that are better to wear at night.

here in the orchards and fields they like sweatshirts!!! (in desert heat), flannel shirts over long sleeve shirts, but for off days, its the football etc types as i've described.... i take a lot of clothes from the kibbutz second hand store to give to thai workers in need all over the country and they always choose the poly blends for shiny and smooth, even if i tell them its 'plastic' (dont know how to say synthetic); they like the feel of it even though the material sticks to my fingers (rough from work etc).... btw, i've learned to dress long sleeve etc at work also....but in winter they still wear flipflops (at work they HAVE to wear work boots) cause its easier to dry feet off then dry off shoes and socks but socks are a good thing to bring for the short but cold times