Best Linux-Android-Windows Solution To Avoid Being PASWORDED to DEATH?

MrGaoMungGawn

If you use KDE, then you know the password manager that is so persistent that it will drive the mild mannered to distraction.

I won't mention names because I don't want to influence the best suggestion:

What is the best solution to being bombarded with password requests from almost everywhere, and I mean everywhere, except my wife's chastity belt, and I don't have a wife, so that is why.

I do have a couple of PCs, two linux, one windows, and one Laptop.

Then one Android Tablet, and One Android Phone

All of these machines require passwords, and then you have Line, WeChat, Skype, I have 6 or 7 email accounts, Webhosting account, with unlimited number of email address and each with its own password, then you have the WiFi here at this building, and I need a seperate WiFi password and username for each device and each computer, and then there is the Gmail for my folks with passwords, and the Amazon password, and I have my password to get out of Jail when I play Monopoly, and I have a code to open the door, and none work off biometrics interfaces.

Can Someone Here help please, by telling us the best solution we should follow to simplify these many passwords down to one or two? And what about the banking and credit card passwords.

On KDE we are offered one password manager and GNOME offers another.

What we need is some password manager that we can take with us where ever we go on the internet, or on our computers, or on our encrypted files:

What Is The Solution Please.....

Is there a very good way to just carry around in our heads one password and username which will open every device, file, or pandoras box if we like?

Thank you, I am hoping to set this up as soon as possible, because I now have passwords coming out of my ears.

(I want to start by using a Linux based solution, which will also unlock and lock securely everything else on the net)

Edited by MrGaoMungGawn

Thank you for your Lastpass suggestion, and I am just about to choose this one. I just want to make sure I choose the correct one at the beginning, because I would really get irked if I chose the wrong one, and then had to start over from the beginning after changing horses in mid gallop while fording a stream and jumping the fence.

Here are two links to some review comps done by Life Hacker and InformationWeek (I like InfoWeek, since their postings years ago about OS2).

As I noted, Lastpass looks really good.

Tonight, or should I say this morning, I need to change to using a password manager, so I think I will either use Lastpass with its 12 dollars per year premium software offer, or the free opensource offering, whichever seems to offer most.

http://www.informationweek.com/security/risk-management/10-top-password-managers/d/d-id/1109759?

Very nice short review of what can be had

http://www.infoworld.com/d/security/review-7-password-managers-windows-mac-os-x-ios-and-android-189597

One more for good measure

http://lifehacker.com/5529133/five-best-password-managers

After the password manager issue is settled,

I will hack some of the chastity belts around here, maybe.

But will not report, at least not on this subforum.

Here is the results of some interesting password research on breakability:

Hammered asinine what?

"The bottom line: Emphasize nouns and adjectives in passphrases. For example, the researchers found that the five-word passphrase "Th3r3 can only b3 #1!" was easier to crack that this three-word passphrase: "Hammered asinine requirements." Meanwhile, they found that the passphrase "My passw0rd is $uper str0ng!" was 100 times stronger than "Superman is $uper str0ng!" and in turn that phrase was 10,000 times stronger than "Th3r3 can only b3 #1!""

This is enough to keep you up at night, perhaps.

Again, as reported in InformationWeek.

Edited by MrGaoMungGawn

Think that Raro meant KeepassX, which is indeed excellent.

I am pretty much sold on Keepass (x)

Did you notice, though, some very negative comments from a few posters about lost data, blue death screan, etc.

I wonder what this might be?

Are they crackpots?

Or, when using Keepass, are there sometime major problems?

I will use linux, windows, android devices.

I need to be able to manage and open websites, WiFi hotspots controlled by browser based passwords, web and PC file passwords, while remembering one universal password.

But what about use with google Mail login, or Group+ login, or YouTube login, or hosting or seedbox logins?

Is KeepassX reliable with these requirements in mind?

Keepass in combination with Dropbox works fine for me, use this combination for a long time and only once had a problem on my Android phone - clear cache and problem solved.

Have about 80 usernames and password and it's all working fine, has to as I can't remeber passwords like: SZmvpOivyUcH3ls3QZx8

Use in om my Windows 7 PC, Lubuntu laptop and Android phone, works like a breeze.

I like keePass 2 mainly because if I want to keep my password database on the Internet I want it with a cloud provider of MY choosing and locked according to MY requirements.

I choose Keepass 2 over KeepassX becuase I make use of some of the extra features.

I have been using it with Windows, Linux and Android (KeePassDroid) for about 3 years now with no issues.

Just checked mine, Keepas version 2.24 - save the database in Dropbox\Keepass and after that install chromeIPass with KeePassHhttp 1.8.3 so Chrome will automatically fill in the userid and passwords, works under Firefox as well - Internet Explorer I don't know.

Edited by Cloggie

• 3 weeks later...

it's actually easy. command prompt - set TTL su. you can set KDE,Gimp or whatever gui you like in the same fashion. shells don't fall back - sudo is the better command there anyway.

Regarding passwords - you don't have to remember them: switch your keyboard to let's say - Greece - (that you'll have to remember) and type lines, strokes, whatever you like, onto it. good luck with ØøÆÅ or some things like that.

Even if you got a mining rig. This will take some time.

Edited by JakeBKK

The sad thing is that you can have all the password security that you want but you are still at the mercy of the host's security. Doesn't make much difference how much work you've put in if they lose their entire password database to a SQL injection attack or something.

For things like Dropbox, it's still best to encrypt your sensitive data yourself with something like TrueCrypt and keep the key away from them.

Personally I use the same, reasonably complex password for every site I couldn't give a toss about being compromised on. Same goes for throw away emails.

That narrows the number of important passwords to be remembered down to about 5. And you can use secure enough permutations that you really only have to remember one and your own personal variations.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is exactly what I am also worried about. Having the keypass file in Dropbox is a good idea as long as it works. So far no problems with Dropbox, but this doesn't mean that there is no problem tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Another KeePass user here.

For Windows, there is the portable version available at portableapps.com

It is not necessary to give your file the extension they suggest (kbd or pwd) so no point in even considering that. I think it best to give the file a known, popular extension (like .avi) that will easily be mistaken for something else. Also make use of the keyfile option, could make cracking near impossible. Don't lose that keyfile!

Email yourself the password file as well as the keyfile. You'll have to remember that emal password. When using another system you can download the portable KeePass to decode, and you're set. You have to ensure those files are thoroughly erased when you're done. A much better idea is to carry a thumb drive with all your stuff on it, or at least use it as the download location to avoid leaving copies of your data on the foreign system you're using. An SD card would work as well, but you'd have to provide a card reader (some are quite small).

While there are no absolute guarantees of security, it is worth putting some effort into making things difficult IMO. If somebody has it in for you in particular that's one thing, but if it's just some dipstick who is out to see what he can grab he may get discouraged with your stuff and move on to the next potential victim.