Major evidence that low carb diets not needed for long term weight loss/maintenance success

Jingthing

14 hours ago, mommysboy said:

The most important distinction is good carbs vs bad carbs.

True. Isn't there a book about that?

So porridge oats are great, whereas sugary refined cereals should be reserved for the occasional treat.  Spuds are great

No; no; no.

I think the forum is for fat people who want to lose some or all of their unwanted fat as expeditiously as possible.

For the first time in my life I have been regularly eating higher amounts of fruit (all colours, and particularly berries).  The effect on my health has been marked.

My step-daughter has lost weight by merely reducing what she eats, and eating more fruit instead of cakes.

The target audience for this forum should avoid fruits except perhaps berries. One respected authority in the field gives a great list of good vs avoid foods for successful low carbing here and talks about fruits here. His lists agree with that of another noted writer, Dr. Westman at Duke, given in the appendix of Taubes' Why We Get Fat.

One "diet" does not fil all

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2017/07/04/ajcn.117.155200

https://cuencahighlife.com/making-sense-of-nutrition-news-does-coffee-prevent-heart-disease-the-best-diet-for-weight-loss-is-coconut-oil-healthy-or-harmful/

But new research has improved upon our understanding of weight loss. Researchers have found that there may be a “best” diet for certain people!  Different weight loss diets work differently for different people.

As published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, researchers conclude that your fasting blood glucose levels, fasting insulin levels, or both, can determine the type of diet that will best promote weight loss for you.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Low glycemic was the factor common to success. But as one article says,

But the problem with diets is when most people see their dream number on the scale, that’s when they say, “Yay! Now I can go off my diet!”

And they return to their usual diet, and regain the weight…. and usually more.

The individuals didn't choose which diet they could maintain. Excluding the pre-diabetics and diabetics, the study lasted only 10 weeks and the weight loss difference was only .43 kilo. But it looks like to achieve that modest advantage they cheated by restricting calories in the high carb group: hypocaloric low-fat and high-carbohydrate or a high-fat and low-carbohydrate diet for 10 wk.

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

True. Isn't there a book about that?

No; no; no.

I think the forum is for fat people who want to lose some or all of their unwanted fat as expeditiously as possible.

The target audience for this forum should avoid fruits except perhaps berries. One respected authority in the field gives a great list of good vs avoid foods for successful low carbing here and talks about fruits here. His lists agree with that of another noted writer, Dr. Westman at Duke, given in the appendix of Taubes' Why We Get Fat.

But I have seen it with my own eyes.  There was nothing special about my step-daughter's diet.

I think also it is important to point out that the diet must be satisfying or it will almost certainly fail at some point.

15 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

But I have seen it with my own eyes.  There was nothing special about my step-daughter's diet.

Yes there was something special you said: she reduced calories, and that was the critical context. You can lose weight on ice cream & beer if you just restrict enough.

Means nothing anyway to the average person coming here. Metabolisms differ and there are always exceptions to every rule. George Burns had 15 cigars a day and two martinis but lived to 100. "My doctors are all dead." Best advice to someone trying low carb is to give it a fair chance by doing it exactly right according to what the big names in the field advise. Then after you've lost the weight, add back in what higher glycemic carbs you can get away with.

Edited by JSixpack

As it's obvious that LOW CARB diets are still quite popular (and also controversial) I thought this item was worthy of a thread. LOW CARB diets are an option and they CAN work for long term weight loss / maintenance success but here is some very strong evidence that they are not a NECESSITY (in general). Here goes. Hold on to your seats:
There was much more similarity in the strategies usedfor weight-loss maintenance. We found four strategies thatwere common to a large proportion of NWCR participants.These were: 1) eating a low-calorie, low-fat diet; 2) eatingbreakfast almost every day; 3) frequent self-monitoring;and 4) engaging in high levels of physical activity.a. Dietary Composition: In general, NWCR participantsreported eating low-calorie diets that are moderatelylow in fat and high in carbohydrates.
See that? HIGH IN CARBS. Not low. HIGH. Also of course low carb diets can often be high fat as well, so if using a low carb diet there is a clue here to avoid going too fat on it. Most of the successful long term were also on LOWER FAT diets. http://www.lifeafterdiets.com.au/resources/NWCR_Overview.pdf This is perhaps the largest group of SUCCESSFUL long term weight losers / maintainers ever studied in the world and the study has been going for over TWENTY years. Those years included times when LOW CARB diets were super trendy, which makes this finding even more amazing. If you can point to a larger sample study of success cases going for a longer time, please do! To be clear, this is not an indictment of low carb diets or suggesting they can't be successful. In fact this same organization has a paper that concludes that it IS possible to achieve weight loss and maintenance success with low carb diets but cautions about low carb diets that are too high fat. However, it does deeply challenge any DOGMATIC low carb dieters who in any way suggest their way is the only way. Because really without any doubt at all: IT IS NOT. In my view of this, I suggest any dogmatic messages about low carb being the holy grail be forevermore REJECTED. You know, its common and perhaps a part of human nature, for some people to have an experience themselves that seems positive and conclude they have discovered the answer for everyone. Also sometimes trying to CONVERT people to their belief system. For example I've had what seem like amazing results with garcinia cambogia supplement but I can cite no long term studies of people doing what I'm doing, so the LAST thing I would do is suggest my experiment basically as a holy grail for everyone. A study like the one cited provides some strong clues about what is likely to work for lots of people though, and with good long term EVIDENCE.
Your link to that website doesn't exist.

Sure, if you eat a low calorie low fat diet you will lose weight. But it is hard to keep up that sort of diet and most people will not be able to keep it up.

A ketogenic diet curbs the appetite, and puts you eventually converts the body's chemistry from being a sugar burner to being a fat burner.

Peer reviewed research abounds now about this, I'm not sure what your major research' origins are from. Real research?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Low carb is a choice. If it helps you, great go for it, there is no evidence in the study suggesting going that route will be a hindrance to long term success, with a caveat that this organization has concerns about higher fat diets (based on their results).
I find it interesting that a large majority of these more rare long term success cases are NOT on low carb programs especially during a era of low carb diet fads. If you don't, fine. Again, it doesn't mean that higher carb is the ONLY way either.
Yes food choices matter to satiety. With my current program, I have greatly increased VEGETABLE intake. I also eat a fair amount of healthy fats for satiety -- olive oil, avocado, and almonds. Yummy!

I stick to about 30 grams of carbs a day. That includes a heck of a lot of veggies, some quality animal protein, and fat to top it off. I just don't eat the grains or sugars. So we probably have a similar diet :)

Red meat includes beef, lamb, pork, goat, etc.
Personally, I feel going more veggie is a good thing to do for many people, it's also associated with changing to more thin type gut bacteria profiles, but I couldn't be a dogmatic full vegetarian.

Sauerkraut and Kimchi are both great for resetting gut biomes.

I use rice noodles a lot in cooking, and sometimes I amaze myself how little I use now per serving (yes I can feel it in my hand) compared to the amount I used to think was an OK portion! I can only estimate the difference, perhaps 1/4 or even 1/5. On the other hand, I just tend to throw in MORE vegetables. I really wish I had learned all this earlier in my life, but oh well, can't turn back the clock.

Have you tried the half shirataki half tofu noodles? They are rally quite nice texture-wise and are almost zero carbs and all fiber. Stir fry with some protein of your choice and a boat load of green veg it is a really nice meal.

I noticed that I probably eat twice as much veggies as my vegetarian friends. They always filling up on rice beans and grains.