Tachilek immigration do not follow their own rules

ARGUSEYE

Hi,

this morning (Jan 14, 2014) I entered Burma at the Mae Sai -Tachilek entry point, intended to proceed to Keng Tung in a shared taxi, on this 10$ (actually 500 Baht) entry permit.

The MTT, the organisation calling the shots on where you can go under what conditions, or at least they convey the message from the government to tourists, states on their website:

EASTERN SHAN STATE:

"Visitors with entry permit are allowed to proceed to Keng Tung and back the same way"

The link:

http://www.myanmartravelsandtours.com/tourist-information.htm

No mention on the website that you have to hire a gide. (1000 Baht/day ++)

Exactly that was required, said the person from MTT in Tachilek. Rediculous! I need a guide for the ride to a supposedly "open" town 150 kms down the road??

Of course, when I mentioned to the MTT person that on her own website there is no mentioning of the guide requirement, she just turned around and let me sit there like and idiot.

On this forum there were various misleading posts on the guide requirement. A guide is required to go to K.T. on an Entry Permit, and don't even dream of going anywhere else in Eastern Shan State, even with a visa from an embassy..

A few years back, I was allowed even to cycle all the way to Mong Lar via Keng Tung. Now??? Nothing!

Where is the "Opening up of Burma??"

I thought heading up to Mong Lar was no problem. What I don't get is why a guide would be required if you enter on a border pass but not on a visa. The fact that they hold your passport at the border if you arrive on a 14 day border pass is enough incentive to go back the same way you came. I agree that it's ridiculous.

On the other hand, going overland via Mae Sot/Myawady is a breeze and become easier and easier. Now cyclists are allowed to cycle across and over to yangon etc. if they want.

• 1 year later...

I thought heading up to Mong Lar was no problem. What I don't get is why a guide would be required if you enter on a border pass but not on a visa. The fact that they hold your passport at the border if you arrive on a 14 day border pass is enough incentive to go back the same way you came. I agree that it's ridiculous.

On the other hand, going overland via Mae Sot/Myawady is a breeze and become easier and easier. Now cyclists are allowed to cycle across and over to yangon etc. if they want.

Hi, I would like to know regarding the tachilek immigration, im Malaysian my wife is Burmese. in this Feb I will bring her to tachilek. I scare any troubler in tachilek immigration.

1) when she went back to tachilek from bolder of mae sai, did her need to pay tax in tachilek immigration? or any question problem in tachilek immigration?

2) she holding Thailand visa, she need to apply Thailand visa when she come back to Thailand?

i need your advice...thank you very much

Hi, I would like to know regarding the tachilek immigration, im Malaysian my wife is Burmese. in this Feb I will bring her to tachilek. I scare any troubler in tachilek immigration.

1) when she went back to tachilek from bolder of mae sai, did her need to pay tax in tachilek immigration? or any question problem in tachilek immigration?

2) she holding Thailand visa, she need to apply Thailand visa when she come back to Thailand?

i need your advice...thank you very much

I wouldn't make too much of this thread; it's been over a year and I have heard no further negative reports related to what the OP has stated.

Also:

1) I've never heard of any exit tax for anyone. I don't see what problems there would be for anyone, Burmese or third party citizen.

2) I doubt it; as long as she has a valid visa or re-entry permit for Thailand she can re-enter. If she is only going to Mae Sai for a day or perhaps up to 7 days only a local ID card or visa-less passport as ID would suffice, but for travel beyond Mae Sai a visa is required.

• 6 months later...

From what I have heard no guide is currently needed..

However Question, I have a non immigrant visa. As I leave my passport at the checkpoint can I do this without getting/needing a re-entry permit as I would just be getting a pass for this trip and have a current valid thai visa.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Archived