Phuket Employment Office closed due to anti-government protests

Lite Beer

Phuket Employment Office closed due to anti-government protests
Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: The Phuket Provincial Employment Office (PPEO), the island’s sole agency for issuing and renewing work permits for foreigners, has closed its doors today.

“We are following a request from protesters yesterday asking for all government offices to close. We are afraid that if we open, they will blockade our office,” PPEO Chief Yaowapa Pibulpol told the Phuket Gazette.

“We will re-open if the situation changes. For the time being, the decision to re-open the office will be made on a day-by-day basis,” she added.

Ms Yaowapa asked that any foreigners in urgent need of contacting her office to call 076-219 6601.

“I have assigned at least one officer to stand by to answer the phones, just in case there is a problem we have to fix immediately,” she explained.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-Employment-Office-closed-due-to-anti-government-protests-23280.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-01-14

076 219 660 is always busy, but 176 219 661 is picked up, and by a very competent English speaker, too.

I was instructed that on the third floor, in the main Big C shopping center, (On By-Pass Road near Central Festival,) , the PPEO will maintain a desk located near the bowling alley just for renewing foreigner Work Permits. I believe that one will simply receive a letter offsetting any expiration until ( or if..) the office can re-open.

A phone number provided to call if the desk cannot be located is 089 727 8347, but was cautioned that person's English is limited.

Now, the PDRC is putting a bulls eye on migrant workers by interfering with their ability to renew/obtain work permits. How magnanimous.

This is complete bs.

Thanks for this post. I was already dreading the trip there tomorrow to renew my WP which expires at the end of the month- can I get a Mommies's excuse note now?

And this is what the phone number quoted in the OP is for, call it !

Please see post # 4 Read it !!

Actually the mommie's note was really not meant to be taken literally. [inserts smiley] The dreading was about well, driving in Phuket Town, especially with apparent anarchists afoot- is always stressful.

Now, the PDRC is putting a bulls eye on migrant workers by interfering with their ability to renew/obtain work permits. How magnanimous.

This is complete bs.

Thanks for this post. I was already dreading the trip there tomorrow to renew my WP which expires at the end of the month- can I get a Mommies's excuse note now?

And this is what the phone number quoted in the OP is for, call it !