Is shutting down bkk good strategy?

oogster8

its a terrible strategy. Suthep is just clinging to him minute of fame and apparently at all costs. This strategy is going to turn more people away from their cause than to it. hopefully common sense will soon prevail and things will be back to normal.

• Like 2

To the OP: "shouldnt they shut down isan.......................lol."

The eyes of Isaan people have been shut down for a long time now by Yingluck and her brother before.

But.....there is hope.......some of them started waking up recently.

Better late than never!thumbsup.gif

Edited by Costas2008

He hasn't really shutdown Bangkok, caused a little distress to some, the interesting part of the 'protest' has been the rapid decline in numbers, and the brilliant non confrontational stance from the government. For Suthep, initially probably a good idea if he had carried the level of support, as it now appears he does not, he is attempting to strong arm the government from a weak position getting weaker. Unless he gathers support from alternative means, the protest dwindles, and the government will actually come out of the protest situation with a great deal more credit than Suthep.

Sir

Very sensible post.He has been shown up as a thug,and will not accept a democratic vote.Irrelevant of who is more thuggish than the other,The people have voted with their feet,and no amount of crap spouted on here about buying votes,will get this maniac in power.I here about calling thais retards and monkeys,strange its only farangs who say this.Wish i could take the bad mouths to See these people,maybe they will vanish,and feel the anger.

It isn't a great strategy, but since they refuse to stoop to the violence and intimidation of the red shirts ( for the most part, I admit there are some exceptions ) what else can they do ? They tried through politics and PT bumbled ahead with their dastardly plans anyway....Now through the courts but there are the constant conspiracy theorists from the Taksin fan club. ''They were bought, they have no authority'' and all the rest of the crap.

• Like 1

This entire BKK shut down is a joke.

The police and the army are complicit in this,... they've virtually handed over the rule of the city to Suthep's PDRC group,...and all at the appointed hour on the appointed day. That should speak volumes about what's going on behind the scenes!

A positive would have to be the alternate solutions to the city's traffic problems. Rather amazing how it has cleared the streets and encouraged use of public transport.

Bad strategy. Hasn't worked and probably won't

This is why the PDRC is threatening to shut down the Stock Exchange and air traffic control - They WANT to goad the government into a violent response

Most of their supporters are nothing like their red shirt opposites who actually have the stomach for a long, drawn-out campaign.

Looks like it's a failed plan to me. Bangkok was not shut down and the Government is just sitting it out ..... so I worry about how it will ramp up next week.

But in a strange way I'll miss the protests. There's only about 50 people at each site 'till 4:00 - so no real disruption - then they develop into street parties. Walking around the pedestrianized Ploenchitt looking at the street paintings, browsing the stalls and listening to the music is a pleasant way to spend an evening.

Then off to Asoke for the rock bands (it was Audy Band last night).

Just wish they'd finish at midnight so I can get some sleep ..... and the angry guy with the receding hair hogging the karaoke mike after each band is a nuisance.

Not at all.

All he is doing is playing to the converted and pissing off bangkokians who might otherwise be predisposed to his message.

Dunno how this wins him support in the parts of the country where he and the dems need to win votes, in fact it further alienates them.

The government could cave to what he wants, sit out the next 12 months as his council of elders has their verbal wankfest, have new elections and still PT would romp it home. And the poor old dems will yet again be wondering 'what went wrong'?

Policy In General Regarding Thailand Election/Political Discussions

As a result of the great increase in posts about politics in Thailand, we are requesting that members keep political discussion confined to threads already open in the Thailand News Forum.
Non-political topics in General which are hijacked with political arguments will see posts removed without further notice.

Members who cannot comply with our request will risk a posting suspension.

Thanks for your understanding and participation on Thaivisa.

Thaivisa moderating team