Worry-Free Non-O-Visa Savannakhet

Very detailed and helpful I am sure. A question: why do you not apply for an extension of stay based on Thai Wife and save the trip to Laos (although it may be enjoyable?)

Good question, I don’t have to season money in a Thai savings bank account or get an income letter from my embassy in Bangkok that also costs me some twelve hundred baht.

Then the way I travel (multiple entries and exits) not only within Asia but also from and to Europe the Multiple Non-O-Visa comes very handy and is moreover cost effective, or not?

And I live in deep Issan where Farang food stores are not to be found within vicinity and where a food trip to Lao is much more convenient and shorter than going to Bankok or Pattaya, etc. etc.

Where are the "Farang Food" supermarkets to be found in Laos ?

• Like 2

I am slightly confused as having your wife with you has never been a requirement for the Non O visa in any country. It is a requirement for the extension at the immigration office in Chiang Mai.

I also have never had to show the original marriage license.

But just to clarify that you didn"t need proof of money in the bank for the non o multiple entry?

• Like 2

The OP mentioned that he had a Thai re-entry permit 'just in case'. That re-entry permit must have been issued against a valid, unexpired visa or extension. Does that mean the OP obtained a new visa despite still having a valid, unexpired visa or extension in his passport?

• Like 2

What a great post!

One thing I don't understand, forgive the digression, is why in the hell do we have to go out of the country to get this visa? Anyway, whatever, I'll accept it, but I just don't quite get it. Our most intimate family member is a Thai, and we can't go to an office in Thailand. Maybe they do have their reasons.

Thanks for the info!!

• Like 2

@sceptict11

No need for a supermarket, go to French-biased Vientiane for instance and see what is available there in the shops. I love the Issan, but I also love Lao for its Farang restaurants/food and its very friendly people indeed.

@ubonjoe

I was in my last 15 permitted days to stay of my already expired previous Non-O-Visa and I secured those til their very end by a re-entry permit (done just after the Non-O had expired) in order to return to Thailand and extend that previous Non-O-Visa by a further 60 days based on my wife and in company of her to be done at any immigration office in Thailand.

If Savannakhet would not have worked, my plan was to extend as above, then switch to an extension based on retirement by an income letter that I had to get first.

I prefer however my present situation with the Non-O-Visa for reasons already mentioned.

My head is spinning.

You have to go through all this grief every year for the rest of your life?

• Like 2

What a great post!

One thing I don't understand, forgive the digression, is why in the hell do we have to go out of the country to get this visa? Anyway, whatever, I'll accept it, but I just don't quite get it. Our most intimate family member is a Thai, and we can't go to an office in Thailand. Maybe they do have their reasons.

Thanks for the info!!

No need to leave the country.

You can do extensions of stay based upon marriage at immigration. You need 400K baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 40k baht income.

I have not left the country in almost 6 years because I have done the same extension 6 times.

Do you not ever fancy a trip?

• Like 2

Interesting. Two questions: any idea whether they also issue based on Thai children, as some consulates that did, now are not? And as the Lao visa fee is cheaper in USD than THB - their FX rates are generously in their favour - does the consulate take the Thai visa fee in USD?

• Like 1

@sceptict11

No need for a supermarket, go to French-biased Vientiane for instance and see what is available there in the shops. I love the Issan, but I also love Lao for its Farang restaurants/food and its very friendly people indeed.

@ubonjoe

I was in my last 15 permitted days to stay of my already expired previous Non-O-Visa and I secured those til their very end by a re-entry permit (done just after the Non-O had expired) in order to return to Thailand and extend that previous Non-O-Visa by a further 60 days based on my wife and in company of her to be done at any immigration office in Thailand.

If Savannakhet would not have worked, my plan was to extend as above, then switch to an extension based on retirement by an income letter that I had to get first.

I prefer however my present situation with the Non-O-Visa for reasons already mentioned.

My head is spinning.

You have to go through all this grief every year for the rest of your life?

No,but the other option is WORST: tell all your life, be victim of a police interview and show the photos of your room, bed and dirty sheets after crazy night.

Which option do you prefer ?

For me I will enjoy a trip abroad until the rest of my life if necessary instead of giving any private information to people who should be grateful that I stay and spend millions in their country every year !

Spends Millions EVERY year ! ...........smile.png BUT --------------------

Runs to Savannakhet for a "no show money " visa which requires an exit from country every 90 days ?

Makes sense !

whistling.gif

Edited by Sceptict11
  • Like 1

Interesting. Two questions: any idea whether they also issue based on Thai children, as some consulates that did, now are not? And as the Lao visa fee is cheaper in USD than THB - their FX rates are generously in their favour - does the consulate take the Thai visa fee in USD?

If you are the legal father by way of marriage or legitimization you can get the visa or extensions of stay.

The consulate only accepts Thai baht.

• Like 2

clap2.gif Nice report but I just want to make it clear that your non O visa was based on marriage to a Thai.

That's fine but it is very unlikely that anyone will get a non O visa multi entry or otherwise visa based on retirement anywhere in Asia. including Savannakhet.

I only say this because I don't want over 50's going to Savannaket and assuming they will easily get a visa for retirement.

Almost all the non O visa (maybe all of them) are for those married to a Thai.

Right now, Savannakhet is the place to get a non O visa for those married to a Thai. That's fine, but no one should assume it will be like that forever.

In 2010 when I first got a non O retirement visa from Hull it was easy and one of the easiest places in the world to get such a visa.

Today, as evidenced by many posts on this forum, Hull is not so easy. The rules have been changed.

All I want those who look for visas in Savannakhet is that TODAY it is easy to get a visa there for someone married to a Thai.

But, just like Hull in 2010, things can change.

So always have a backup "plan B" if required.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

If you are the legal father by way of marriage or legitimization you can get the visa or extensions of stay.

I've already done it twice, through Cardiff. Then their staff changed - and so did their 'rules'. Hence my question.

I've already done it twice, through Cardiff. Then their staff changed - and so did their 'rules'. Hence my question.

I can only quote the official rules. There have been reports by others of getting them without being the legal father but I suspect that has changed for the UK since applications for multiple entry visas have to be approved by the embassy now.