Worry-Free Non-O-Visa Savannakhet

Hi guys. Just a couple of last minute things to ease my mind.

There are vans Etc from Np airport to hotels in Mud?

What time should I be at the border in the morning? 7?

I assume there are taxi or Tuk Tuk near my hotel that can take me there?

Do I catch the bus to Laos immigration after I pass Thai immigration?

Anything else I am forgetting?

Cheers

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Both Nok Air and Air Asia offer fly/ride service to Mukdahan via Nakhon Phanom. Otherwise you need to go into town to get transport to Mukdahan. As far as I know there are no vans going from the Airport.

You can get a bus to Savannakhet at the bus station in Mukdahan. The bus will wait for you at immigration on both sides of the bridge and take you into town.

You can get the bus at the bridge but you need to buy the ticket before you clear Thai immigration.

• Like 1

Hi guys. Just a couple of last minute things to ease my mind.

There are vans Etc from Np airport to hotels in Mud?

What time should I be at the border in the morning? 7?

I assume there are taxi or Tuk Tuk near my hotel that can take me there?

Do I catch the bus to Laos immigration after I pass Thai immigration?

Anything else I am forgetting?

Cheers

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You'll be fine, it's all pretty obvious when you get there. I was stressing out, but when I arrived it couldn't have been easier.

Go to Mukdahan bus station around 6.30am and buy a ticket for the international bus. It leaves around 7.30 and costs 40 baht. It stops and lets everyone off at the border for you to go through passport control, then you get back on and repeat the process at Laos Immigration.

After you've been through Laos immigration, you'll most likely be approached by a tuktuk driver offering to take you to the consulate. It's only about a 5 minute drive, so don't pay too much. It's easier to do that than to get back on the bus IMO.

Once you've handed in your visa application, ask a tuktuk to take you to Cafe Bonn. A nice airconditioned cafe with wifi and decent food/coffee while you wait.

• Like 1

Get back to the consulate for 330pm, pick up the visa and 200b to the border by taxi. I think there is a bus at 4pm leaving to Thailand so if you are quick you could make it.

I've got to go to Savannakhet for my visa today, last time I done this I had to stay overnight, have things changed in the 15 months since my last visit?

I'll be applying for a Non-O based on marriage.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Get back to the consulate for 330pm, pick up the visa and 200b to the border by taxi. I think there is a bus at 4pm leaving to Thailand so if you are quick you could make it.

I've got to go to Savannakhet for my visa today, last time I done this I had to stay overnight, have things changed in the 15 months since my last visit?

I'll be applying for a Non-O based on marriage.

The are now doing visas on the same day apply. Apply by 11 am and pickup at 3:30 pm.

The consulate is now at their new offices.

No changes to the requirements for the non-o.

Aslo, as a UK citizen, will I have the option of paying US$35 for the Laos visa?

Yes you can. See:http://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-arrival.html

Aslo, as a UK citizen, will I have the option of paying US$35 for the Laos visa?

Everyone has, it's that they try to not let you with various excuses, no change, no understand, old banknotes, cannot, etc.

Everytime a person pays in USD they loose 500 Baht, you can understand they don't want that.

Which nationalities have zero fee for a non-imm visa? That's very good deal. I almost think that was a typo. Did you ask specifically about this discount, or did you walk out quickly before they changed their mind?

There are 5 countries that have a bilateral agreement with Thailand for visa fee exemption.

See here for list: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15382-List-of-countries-which-have-concluded-bilateral-a.html

Yeah, all is good, was there today, no kr2 required and I placed my original certificate at the bottom of the papers and the guy handed back immediately .. The guy was so busy he didn't even look at me or care that I hadn't shaved for 4 days, it's just a 5000b earner for the consulate.

They haven't got the gate situation under control like Vientiane so it's a mad scramble.

You can either arrive at 8.30 and form an orderly queue or rock up at 8.59 and stand next to the big gate while everyone else is queuing next to the small entry and get ready to elbow the Asian teachers out of the way.

Pickup was a bit mad, lots of people waiting/frying in the sun, unless you are in a hurry maybe better to wait until 3.50-4.00 and walk straight up to the counter.

Which nationalities have zero fee for a non-imm visa? That's very good deal. I almost think that was a typo. Did you ask specifically about this discount, or did you walk out quickly before they changed their mind?
There are 5 countries that have a bilateral agreement with Thailand for visa fee exemption.

See here for list: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15382-List-of-countries-which-have-concluded-bilateral-a.html

I didn't even say a single word. I gave all documents including 5000 baht. He look thru the document and give me back 5000 baht without saying a word. Just smile then I say Kob Khun Krub and left with a ticket to claim the passport at 3.30 pm on same day.

At 3.30 pm, collected my passport with my heart pounding very fast with my fingers crossed. Left the counter look at my passport, felt overjoyed when I saw the VISA sticker with receipt. Wife was with me and we were very happy at least for 1 year.

With regard to the 1500B Laos visa fee. I'm sure I was the first westerner over the bridge on a Saturday morning, I tried to pay with 40 $US expecting to get some kip or maybe a $5 bill as change ..

The guy ( no uniform ) said 1500B, I spoke to him in Thai, to explain that 35 $US wasn't 1500B, more like 1100B.

For a moment he was firm, then after I gave it "couldn't you just do me a favour" ( best line i ever learnt ) he relented and dropped it to 1300B, I pushed hard for 1100B with a joke, but he wasn't having any of it. In the end I had him smiling and he wouldn't process the application till he saw the colour of the money.

So, I think the fee is negotiable if your Thai is good enough.

TBH: Im sure the visa money is just tea money, I made a right mess of the form, I made lots of crossings out and alterations for which I apologised for, he basically said "give me the money and disappear will ya'". Im sure the form just ended up in the bin.

PS: When is it not "overtime" for a Laos immigration officer ? I paid 40B on the way in, but the Thai gamblers had to pay to get their paper entry permits stamped + 100B overtime fee. Even the queue of Thais had to laugh at that one at the remark I made out loud to that one.

Edited by recom273

With regard to the 1500B Laos visa fee. I'm sure I was the first westerner over the bridge on a Saturday morning, I tried to pay with 40 $US expecting to get some kip or maybe a $5 bill as change ..

The guy ( no uniform ) said 1500B, I spoke to him in Thai, to explain that 35 $US wasn't 1500B, more like 1100B.

For a moment he was firm, then after I gave it "couldn't you just do me a favour" ( best line i ever learnt ) he relented and dropped it to 1300B, I pushed hard for 1100B with a joke, but he wasn't having any of it. In the end I had him smiling and he wouldn't process the application till he saw the colour of the money.

TBH: Im sure the visa money is just tea money, I made a right mess of the form, I made lots of crossings out and alterations for which I apologised for, he basically said "give me the money and disappear will ya'". Im sure the form just ended up in the bin.

PS: When is it not "overtime" for a Laos immigration officer ? I paid 40B on the way in, but the Thai gamblers had to pay to get their paper entry permits stamped + 100B overtime fee. Even the queue of Thais had to laugh at that one at the remark I made out loud to that one.

Yeah, all the legit stuff you will actually get a receipt for, or the amount will be stamped in your passport. If there is no receipt, and no stamp of the amount in your passport (in the case of a visa), it's a scam. Those overtime fees are actually legit, but only at nighttime I believe, where you will actually get a receipt for paying it. The daytime fee they charge is a crock.

I stopped paying the "+100 baht" during my poipet border runs, as they stamp "20 dollars" into your passport when you buy the cambodian visa. If they want 20 dollars plus 100, they need to stamp in somewhere. My new rule smile.png

Edited by isawasnake

Yeah, all the legit stuff you will actually get a receipt for, or the amount will be stamped in your passport. If there is no receipt, and no stamp of the amount in your passport (in the case of a visa), it's a scam. Those overtime fees are actually legit, but only at nighttime I believe, where you will actually get a receipt for paying it. The daytime fee they charge is a crock.

I stopped paying the "+100 baht" during my poipet border runs, as they stamp "20 dollars" into your passport when you buy the cambodian visa. If they want 20 dollars plus 100, they need to stamp in somewhere. My new rule smile.png

It helps if you have the ability to argue .. When I was haggling over the visa free (no receipt given) it was light hearted on both sides.

I'm not going to haggle over 20-40b in a language I can't give them a run for their money in.

It helps if you have the ability to argue .. When I was haggling over the visa free (no receipt given) it was light hearted on both sides.

I'm not going to haggle over 20-40b in a language I can't give them a run for their money in.

I used to think like you, and I agree with what you are saying ironically. It is like it's not worth it.

I am sick of it though. And I will tell you, if you put up any sort of stink during these scam payments, they don't make you pay. I personally have concluded they are under orders to let people that question it slide, because they have a good thing going (can't beat free money), and any report or incident could potentially pressure them into stopping the entire scam.

It's not hard to communicate either. The entire world understands "no". When they are doing something wrong, they get it immediately. I don't hold it against those who pay, because I used to be one, but I think we do ourselves a disservice every time we pay these bogus fees.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 2

So to confirm, the Lao border wants exact change for their visas?

About the overtime fee, I suspect that it is similar to what is done at the first Friendship bridge in Vientiane. You are charged an US$ 1 overtime fee (maybe it's 40 baht too there for people who cannot pay this fee in US dollars) if you are entering Laos before 8 am or after 4 pm, or anytime on saturdays, sundays, and during public holidays.

I recently did a 'visa run' at Savannakhet and didn't pay any overtime fee. I paid my visa on arrival for Laos in US dollars (that was US$ 30 in my case as I am a French national) and didn't have to argue nor bargain with anyone.

The only 'overtime fee' that I had to pay was an additional 5 baht for my return 'international bus' ticket (55 baht instead of 50) when I came back from Laos at about 4:30 pm, but it's the normal practice (it's clearly stated at the 'international bus' cashier desk on the Laos side that the standard fare is 13000 kip, but 14000 kip during overtime periods).

I would just add another point for those who are going to take a 'samlor' (or 'tuk-tuk' if you prefer) in Savannakhet from the bus station to the Royal Thai Consulate (at its new location), it's a very short fare and you should not pay more than 20 baht (or 5000 kip) per person (you might have to share the vehicle with one or two other passengers though). At the bus station, most 'samlor' drivers will try to get much more than this (starting from 100 baht for this fare!), but it's not too difficult to get a much more reasonable price.

By the way, the new location of the Royal Thai Consulate is at about 15 or 20 mn by walk from the bus station (it's on the main road on the left when you are exiting the bus station).

Edited by GuyL

Just got my one year marriage visa. Stayed at hotel baandala in mukdahan which is a good 15 mins walk from the bus station. The room was decent for 500 baht. But many mozzies in room and no nearby places to eat. I would stay at Hopinn hotel which is nearer the bus station for 550. It's also closer to town so maybe more options to eat. In savannahket cafe boon is the place to eat in ac comfort. Next door you can have a massage for a couple of hours in ac comfort for 460 baht and they have a shower.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Edited by zoolander

About the overtime fee, I suspect that it is similar to what is done at the first Friendship bridge in Vientiane. You are charged an US$ 1 overtime fee (maybe it's 40 baht too there for people who cannot pay this fee in US dollars) if you are entering Laos before 8 am or after 4 pm, or anytime on saturdays, sundays, and during public holidays.

I recently did a 'visa run' at Savannakhet and didn't pay any overtime fee. I paid my visa on arrival for Laos in US dollars (that was US$ 30 in my case as I am a French national) and didn't have to argue nor bargain with anyone.

The only 'overtime fee' that I had to pay was an additional 5 baht for my return 'international bus' ticket (55 baht instead of 50) when I came back from Laos at about 4:30 pm, but it's the normal practice (it's clearly stated at the 'international bus' cashier desk on the Laos side that the standard fare is 13000 kip, but 14000 kip during overtime periods).

I would just add another point for those who are going to take a 'samlor' (or 'tuk-tuk' if you prefer) in Savannakhet from the bus station to the Royal Thai Consulate (at its new location), it's a very short fare and you should not pay more than 20 baht (or 5000 kip) per person (you might have to share the vehicle with one or two other passengers though). At the bus station, most 'samlor' drivers will try to get much more than this (starting from 100 baht for this fare!), but it's not too difficult to get a much more reasonable price.

By the way, the new location of the Royal Thai Consulate is at about 15 or 20 mn by walk from the bus station (it's on the main road on the left when you are exiting the bus station).

I have crossed so many times now it is kinda a blur, but I do remember crossing into Vientianne at night I paid the fee and was given a receipt. I really have no problem with this at all. People are working overtime or after hours, it seems perhaps even more than reasonable. Hell, I'd pay more.

But, when they charge the same fee in the middle of the day, and dont give you a receipt, I have a problem with that. It is more of a legitimacy issue for them. Why scam people and get a single dollar? It makes them look bad and they dont get much. I just think we should all attempt to not pay these fees when they are not legit, which is when no receipt is given.

Last time I was crossing back into Mukdahan was where I was charged the 40 baht with no receipt by the way. Next time I do this I will not pay it.

I have crossed so many times now it is kinda a blur, but I do remember crossing into Vientianne at night I paid the fee and was given a receipt. I really have no problem with this at all. People are working overtime or after hours, it seems perhaps even more than reasonable. Hell, I'd pay more.

But, when they charge the same fee in the middle of the day, and dont give you a receipt, I have a problem with that. It is more of a legitimacy issue for them. Why scam people and get a single dollar? It makes them look bad and they dont get much. I just think we should all attempt to not pay these fees when they are not legit, which is when no receipt is given.

Last time I was crossing back into Mukdahan was where I was charged the 40 baht with no receipt by the way. Next time I do this I will not pay it.

Yes, in Vientiane, they give you a US$ 1 receipt when you cross the border (on your way to Laos) during the overtime periods.

I haven't been charged any overtime fee (yet) at the border in Savannakhet (but have never entered yet Laos there during the overtime periods). The more recent report here by a ThaiVisa member states that this member arrived on a saturday, therefore, I am not surprised that this person was charged an overtime fee, but I agree with you that a receipt should have been given then.

Salary in Laos for officers (or pretty much anyone) can be between $20 and 40 monthly. A single dollar is worth very much in Laos.

Low pay for civil servants is a critical problem, and Laos is near the low end globally. Salaries for physicians remain in the range of $120-$150 per month. To receive care in government health care facilities, which include most of the major hospitals in Laos, patients must give supplemental cash to the doctors and nurses who care for them. Police officers are paid even less; junior officer's monthly salary is approximately $20. Laos, however, does not have the lowest cost of living in the region, and private labor costs are non-competitive with China and Vietnam. To even approach the remuneration available in the private sector, civil servant pay would have to be increased by a factor of ten to twenty. As civil servants cannot possibly survive on their salaries, many government officials see no problem with receiving commissions, which they perceive as nothing more than gratuities similar to what waiters might receive in the U.S.; they do not see themselves as engaging in a corrupt practice.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/laos/corruption.htm

Yes, in Vientiane, they give you a US$ 1 receipt when you cross the border (on your way to Laos) during the overtime periods.

I haven't been charged any overtime fee (yet) at the border in Savannakhet (but have never entered yet Laos there during the overtime periods). The more recent report here by a ThaiVisa member states that this member arrived on a saturday, therefore, I am not surprised that this person was charged an overtime fee, but I agree with you that a receipt should have been given then.

Guys, lighten up a little .. I made the comment as it seems whenever I cross, it seems to be OT .. It's only 40B, no problem.

I thought it was ironic that the Thai gamblers were paying 100B OT charge, in addition to a charge for stamping their exit papers.

But, its ok, you get a receipt, wow, do you think all those receipts get declared .. no its money for the boys, there were over 30 gamblers paying 100B and that was just the first bonus bus of the weekend.

Guys, lighten up a little .. I made the comment as it seems whenever I cross, it seems to be OT .. It's only 40B, no problem.

I thought it was ironic that the Thai gamblers were paying 100B OT charge, in addition to a charge for stamping their exit papers.

But, its ok, you get a receipt, wow, do you think all those receipts get declared .. no its money for the boys, there were over 30 gamblers paying 100B and that was just the first bonus bus of the weekend.

Most nationals from Thailand use a 'border pass' (instead of a passport) for a short stay (a couple of days) in Laos. If I am not mistaken, they then don't have to pay for a visa, but they are subject to an entry and an exit fee at the Laos border, and probably an overtime fee too if they cross this border during overtime periods. The grand total for them might very well amount the 100 baht fee that you have noticed them being charged (but I can't tell for sure currently).

What I am certain is that I, as a foreigner paying for his visa for Laos, have never been charged so far an overtime fee at the border unless during the overtime periods mentioned previously. I don't care much about the overtime fee receipt and in which pockets this overtime money is actually stored at the end of the day, but only confirm on this point what another poster has observed in Vientiane.