Worry-Free Non-O-Visa Savannakhet

oh one more nice tidbit i forgot to mention

the money exchange at the ubon airport was closed (i intended to change some TBH to USD for easier use in laos), i shoul dhave done this in BKK but i arrived to the airport with just enough time to check in.

at the laos border, the fee for canadian VOA is $42 usd... which is about 1290 thb or so.... they insisted on 1800thb... .the military looking official did not seem to be amused when i joking asked him to show me the exchange rate he used to arrive at 1800... no doubt these guys are pocketing the extra 500b... but since i didnt have USD i was at their mercy, which is just how they love it so they can take advantage.... just have to laugh and accept it, because arguing will just make things worse.... next time change money at home before leaving, lesson learned.

you also need to have 2 photos there for their form, they will charge you 100b extra if you dont have photos and use their digital cam to take one, the guy next to me in line did not have any. he also had overstayed a few days, to which i overheard them charging him somewhere around 4600thb for his VOA, not sure what country he was.

Edited by TheRoadWarrior
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Steelhammer said:

I have to go to Savannakhet in the last week of September and now I want to book my flight with Lao Air. Is there still no need of financial proof for NON-O multiple based on marriage?

Correct...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just arrived back from Savanakhet and here to share some experiences.

1) Started lining up outside the Thai embassy at about 830am on Thursday. I was 54th in line. In front of me were mostly people in groups I believe got here very early on minivans with a guide. Nationalities mixed not one in particular. My guess is they arrived in the minivans before 8am. 

2) Gates opened at 9am. Roughly the first 40 in line got in and they shut the outer gate until the next round of people are let in.

3) Here is the problem. The first 40 people took a VERY long time. Each applicant took alot of time and the outer gate was not opened for the next round of people until about 1045am. I do not know what kind of visa they were applying for, possibly teacher work permit? But their applications seemed to go through a very long check each holding up the line painfully.

4) After the first 40 got through, the next round was much faster where people were mostly applying for a tourist visa or non O. Fast because they look at these applications, give a yes or no, done. There were however some groups of what looked like teachers behind in the line which may have taken up longer to process again.

5) Next day went to pick up at about 2pm. Many were lining up already for pick up at 130pm. Pickup was quick.

• Thanks 2

• 8 months later...

I have this Non-O visa based on marriage provided in Savannakhet.  I went boarder runs every within 90 days to extend next 90 days till now.  Currently due to Covid-19, it seems almost impossible to take a border run.  If I extend my visa at immigrations in Thailand, what documents do I need?  Especially, do I have yo prepare 400K bank deposit proof?

1 minute ago, TransAm2002 said:

I have this Non-O visa based on marriage provided in Savannakhet.  I went boarder runs every within 90 days to extend next 90 days till now.  Currently due to Covid-19, it seems almost impossible to take a border run.  If I extend my visa at immigrations in Thailand, what documents do I need?  Especially, do I have yo prepare 400K bank deposit proof?

You do not need to extend your 90 day entry from your visa.

At this time you can stay in the country until July 31st. No need to go to immigration.

Hi a question for Udon Joe, I have a multi non O visa based on marriage I last done my 90 day boarder run 19th March just before they shut the boarder at Nong Khai I have a Stamp for 90 Day lasting until 17th June, I know I can apply for a 60 day extension before this date at my local IO but do I need to do this as visa's have been extended until July 31st ?

11 minutes ago, JASON THAI said:

Hi a question for Udon Joe, I have a multi non O visa based on marriage I last done my 90 day boarder run 19th March just before they shut the boarder at Nong Khai I have a Stamp for 90 Day lasting until 17th June, I know I can apply for a 60 day extension before this date at my local IO but do I need to do this as visa's have been extended until July 31st ?

No need to apply for the 60 day extension. You can stay until July 31st. You could use the 60 day extension then so you do not have to leave the country for a new entry.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
25 minutes ago, TransAm2002 said:

I have this visa and did 60 days extension on 23 Sep.  This visa itself expires on 18 Oct.  Can I apply 1 year extension in this case?  I mean can I apply 1 year extension after I applied 60 days extension.

Yes you can if you can meet the financial requirements.