Chainsaw

212traders

Last year they were selling 12 inch Chainsaws all over town. Unfortunately I didn't purchase one at that time. I went to buy one a number of months ago and I was told it was now illegal to sell those also. I couldn't find one anywhere.

Within the last month some chainsaws have appeared at the shops on the Super Highway between Lotus and the 107, Mae Rim Rd. They are not selling them at Global. I only found two models and they were both now 9.5 inch bars (blades). One is a Bento brand, around 6,000 baht, and the other is a quality Stihl brand, priced between 10,000 and 11,600 depending on the shop. There are some videos on YouTube that show the small Stihl and it appears good enough for pruning and small tree cutting.

There is an old thread on Thai Visa that has a link to the Thai Chain Saw Act, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/272392-chain-saw-review/

If you read the link in post #9, there is no exemption to the law based on size. It states one must have a license for ANY chain saw. The only way you can get a license is if you are employed in an occupation that requires one. That obviously makes all foreigners inelligible.

If there was some revision or change that allowed selling them last year, I don't know. That said; I am purchasing one this weekend and take my chances with home usage. TIT, thumbsup.gif

@212Traders, I just re-read your initial post, I missed the part about pruning 90 trees. I think you may be getting into a grey area there both regarding the chain saw and possibly also work permit requirements if someone were to complain.

Edited by silverhawk_usa
  • Confused 1

I partly agree with the above posts. In fact, I don't know if the OP has a farm, has Thai workers, or just a house with a lot of trees. As I said, I will be buying a chain saw and using it on my land. Just like dropping children at school, so do I. But I think when you start getting up to numbers lilke 90 trees or 90 children you will certainly start drawing attention and pushing your luck. The laws are there. Whether you want to abide by them or not is purely up to the individual. But sometimes it doesn't hurt to be reminded of something you may not be clear on, such as the Chain Saw Act.

Anyway, the question is really about where to buy a chainsaw. If someone has other tips on where to buy, I would also be interested.

Edit twice. Typos

Edited by silverhawk_usa
  • Like 1

Last year they were selling 12 inch Chainsaws all over town. Unfortunately I didn't purchase one at that time. I went to buy one a number of months ago and I was told it was now illegal to sell those also. I couldn't find one anywhere.

Within the last month some chainsaws have appeared at the shops on the Super Highway between Lotus and the 107, Mae Rim Rd. They are not selling them at Global. I only found two models and they were both now 9.5 inch bars (blades). One is a Bento brand, around 6,000 baht, and the other is a quality Stihl brand, priced between 10,000 and 11,600 depending on the shop. There are some videos on YouTube that show the small Stihl and it appears good enough for pruning and small tree cutting.

There is an old thread on Thai Visa that has a link to the Thai Chain Saw Act, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/272392-chain-saw-review/

If you read the link in post #9, there is no exemption to the law based on size. It states one must have a license for ANY chain saw. The only way you can get a license is if you are employed in an occupation that requires one. That obviously makes all foreigners inelligible.

If there was some revision or change that allowed selling them last year, I don't know. That said; I am purchasing one this weekend and take my chances with home usage. TIT, thumbsup.gif

@212Traders, I just re-read your initial post, I missed the part about pruning 90 trees. I think you may be getting into a grey area there both regarding the chain saw and possibly also work permit requirements if someone were to complain.

So you are going to buy one at the location you've mentioned above? If so, please let me know which model you ended up buying and let me know its performance.

For the 90 trees, they are fruit trees. I just bought the land. A friend of mine (who is an experience pruner) is visiting me and helping me to prune the trees. He requested for a chainsaw.

The irony of having to have a licence for a tool that isn't even available.

But rightly so its a lethal piece of equipment but only in careless hands.

In the uk, anyone can hire a chain saw....but it comes with the compulsory helmet, ear defenders, kevlar overalls and age limit of 21.

You may be able to get one from the unregulated second hand tool shops around the north side moat

But to be honest I wouldn't.....get a tree surgery team in, cheaper and safer..........and you don't want to draw attention to the immi officers who may be lurking in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 1

I bought a 12" TUF model at Global nearly 3 years ago for just under 3000 baht. Either that or a same size Hitachi for 8500 baht. Although none of the big stores in Udon still carry gas chain saws, several of the long-established mom-and-pop stores do. I don't see the TUF brand anywhere....but a similar model goes for about 4500 baht. No license necessary, at least that's what the people at the small stores tell me.

As for my TUF model, I've had the carb replaced (500 baht), and added 1 new bar and 2 new chains. We have 3 rai of land with lots of mature trees that need regular cutting. And when we cut, our gardener trims everything down to size so he can make charcoal from the wood. The chain saw gets a workout.

I'd dearly love to buy a larger model....my 20 year old tamarind trees are a bit much for a 12" bar.

• Like 1

There is an old thread on Thai Visa that has a link to the Thai Chain Saw Act

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/272392-chain-saw-review/

So you are going to buy one at the location you've mentioned above? If so, please let me know which model you ended up buying and let me know its performance.

For the 90 trees, they are fruit trees. I just bought the land. A friend of mine (who is an experience pruner) is visiting me and helping me to prune the trees. He requested for a chainsaw.

I am going to by the Stihl Model 180, the only model in the stores. A friend here bought one and it worked well on a small tree. I am buying the Stihl because, even though more expensive, it is one of the best selling brands in the U.S. and I know that, even if I have to order myself, I will be able to get parts if it becomes necessary.

I won't be using it for at least another week as I will be away. Here is a youtube I looked at. It is the same model but it is a smaller blade (bar) sold here.

If you search you will find a lot of chain saw info on youtube. One other thing. I haven't yet asked the shop, but it is supposedly difficult to find the proper chain oil here. I know because someone wanted to experiment with it on his motorcycle chain. The internet lists some substitutes.

I am aware of the safety issues as one poster states. That is why I hesitated buying one in the first place and when I finally decided to purchase, there weren't any available. I hired some guys to do the big work, and I am now just going to do some pruning. It can't be any more dangerous than me swinging around a 'machete' as the alternative.

Again on the legal issue. When they were being sold everywhere, I too was told the smaller blades (bars) were legal. But then they were all suddenly taken off the market, and the same people were now telling me "not legal". Read the Chain Saw Act I mentioned above. They are really regulated to the extreme. It even says if you own one, you cannot lend it, or borrow from someone, without contacting the licensing bureau.

What is the law now and how is it being enforced? Who knows. I am going to risk it for minimal usage. Just get all the information you can so that you make an educated decision that best suits you.

Edited by silverhawk_usa
  • Like 2

Place called "Toolmart" or something similar on Hangdong Road near the 711 on the corner of Koolpunt Ville 5. Double story shop-house, painted Yellow and Brown. This is on the City-bound side of the road. They have just about everything in the place and probably at better prices than Global.

Edited by Torrens54

The intersection of Chang Puak and Super Highway has many shops with good lawn mowers, brush cutters and chain saws. Id also recommend going with the Stihl brand. Had on in the Philippines and it never missed a beat. Great machines and respected worldwide.

Strange that the model here doesnt have the simple chain tensioner and easy start system. Both great ideas, the chain tensioner on my previous chainsaw just required a slight release of a wingnut type fastener and then adjustment of a tensioning wheel. All done without tools. The Easy start system worked on a spring release type system. No quick pull of the starting cord required; as you pulled the cord it wound up a tension spring which released upon attaining the required torque. Magic stuff and also stopped accidentally 'flooding' the saw as can happen with normal pull start models.

Global House have some excellent hard hat / face shield / hearing protection combination kit in stock. The face shield part is a mesh and not plastic, which is great. Plastic always gets scratched and damn hard to see through when it is. The set is around the 500 baht mark although some are marked higher.... old stock vs new stock???

Havent seen the protective chaps anywhere, but Ive never bothered with those. If I was using the saw a lot then perhaps Id look into it more.

Just be careful as a chainsaw can be very unforgiving in wrong hands. And if you do find some proper chain oil....let us know. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Well, I went to both places recommended by Post #12 & #13. I only looked at Stihl. The only model they carry is MS 180 with 12-inch bar. Shops recommended by Post #13 quoted me prices at least 12,000. After bargaining, the price went down to 9,800. They have the chainsaw in stock. All shops have signs that say their chainsaws are under legal limit.

Later I went to Toolmart recommended by Post #12. Their price before bargaining is 9,000. But they don't have Stihl MS 180 in stock. New shipment is expected to arrive next Friday.

Guess which shop I will go to buy the chainsaw? Much thanks to all those who have contributed to this topic.

I bought a 12" TUF model at Global nearly 3 years ago for just under 3000 baht. Either that or a same size Hitachi for 8500 baht. Although none of the big stores in Udon still carry gas chain saws, several of the long-established mom-and-pop stores do. I don't see the TUF brand anywhere....but a similar model goes for about 4500 baht. No license necessary, at least that's what the people at the small stores tell me.

As for my TUF model, I've had the carb replaced (500 baht), and added 1 new bar and 2 new chains. We have 3 rai of land with lots of mature trees that need regular cutting. And when we cut, our gardener trims everything down to size so he can make charcoal from the wood. The chain saw gets a workout.

I'd dearly love to buy a larger model....my 20 year old tamarind trees are a bit much for a 12" bar.

When I was at the Toolmart yesterday, they told me that they can order 20-inch Stihl for me if I want.

For occasional use a 36cc model will be fine.

Anything more and at least a 50cc model.

60cc and up rated as Pro models for full time use.

Stihl good brand, as is Husqvarna. By the by - both use engines made by Electrolux.

For occasional use a 36cc model will be fine.

Anything more and at least a 50cc model.

60cc and up rated as Pro models for full time use.

Stihl good brand, as is Husqvarna. By the by - both use engines made by Electrolux.

Well I didnt know that (Electrolux...go figure, from vacuum cleaners to who knows) and Husky's are up there in quality as you say. But did you also know that Husqvana is a sewing machine and lawn mower brand? Both equally good products.

Trivia.... but interesting enough

• Like 1

Humm, what I haven't seen here is anyone mentioning about the permits needed for any and all gas powered chainsaws (Electrics are exempt). It used to be certain small sizes were exempt, but now they all need one. If you already have a chainsaw, you can't get a permit for it, but new purchases require it.

I was looking for one for the longest time and finally was able to get an electric one at global house. There were other gas ones available at other places, but unless you get the permit beforehand, you wouldn't be able to purchase it. Most salesman never mentioned it until it was brought up. Apparently they think it's automatically understood by everyone and there no need to tell the unknowing falang about it.

OK, today I finally stopped procrastinating and bought my new chainsaw. Disregard most of what I said in my previous posts. i bought it at the shops mentioned above on the Superhighway, at the very large shop on the corner.

I had been quoted a price of 10,000 baht previously for the Stihl 180. Today they said 9,800 and I offered 9,500 baht which they accepted without much hesitation. I dealt with an older gentleman who I had 'spoke' with before. He only knew a few words of English, but with my pigeon Thai and his pigeon English we did OK. He also DID have proper chain bar oil (250 litre) and the 2 cycle oil for the engine. Even more surprising, he had a proper file for sharpening the chain teeth and pantomined how to do it. There a number of Youtube videos that also show how this is done.

He had a boy come and assemble it. Show me how to adjust the chain, and the starting procedure. I guess what could be most important is inside the box was a copy of an official document with a government stamp, that says the Stihl chainsaw with the 11" bar is legal for farm and home use. At least that is how my girlfriend interpreted it.

I came home and took down two trees with the biggest limbs being about 5 inches (sorry, I am American) in diameter. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to use and cut. Cold starting was a little difficult but I think it was jus my infamiliarity with it. It did not come with a manual, but I found one on the Stihl USA web site, and there are plenty of YouTube videos, including one that shows cold starting.

Total cost for the Saw, Oil, Blade Oil and file was 9,835 baht. I am quite pleased with the whole experience. Now if my back will only hold out I can finish the rest.....

• Like 2

Excellent Silverhawk..... I'll swing by today and get some chain oil from this place. I was intending on using some CRC Tac2 in the interim. What happened re the Toolmart deal? Just curious...smile.png

The Toolmart recommendation came from someone else. I was always going to use the place at the corner. Sorry I don't know the name. I have made other purchases from them and have always been treated fairly.

Excellent Silverhawk..... I'll swing by today and get some chain oil from this place. I was intending on using some CRC Tac2 in the interim. What happened re the Toolmart deal? Just curious...smile.png

The Toolmart recommendation came from someone else. I was always going to use the place at the corner. Sorry I don't know the name. I have made other purchases from them and have always been treated fairly.

I got my MS 180 Stihl chainsaw from Toolmart the other day for 8500. Also received a Thai government paper stating my chainsaw is legal. I was told the permit requirement is for chainsaw that is 1HP or more. The label on my MS 180 Stihl chainsaw says 0.8HP.

All good stuff and if you're happy with the deal you got....thats all that really matters. Good products and good service are always expected but seldom delivered. Glad you guys got both.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I got my MS 180 Stihl chainsaw from Toolmart the other day for 8500. Also received a Thai government paper stating my chainsaw is legal. I was told the permit requirement is for chainsaw that is 1HP or more. The label on my MS 180 Stihl chainsaw says 0.8HP.

Good Job!

One last thought on this. The Stihl website and owners manual list the MS180 as 2.0hp. The documentation with the saw here,as CMKiwi says, states it is 0.8 hp to be legal here. The guy at the shop, after showing me how it reved and sounded, then took off the muffler and showed me what I believe is a restrictor plate over the exhaust port. It has a very small hole for the exhaust gas to escape. He removed it, comes off with the muffler, reinstalled the muffler, and again started. Instantly it reved faster and just sounded better. He asked if I wanted it kept in that configuration, and of course I said yes.

I beleive that restrictor plate is cutting it down to .8hp for the Thai market. Remove it and I bet it is then a 2hp as Stihl rates it. Try it, It only requires removing 2 bolts, and you can always put the restrictor plate back in if you like. Though I don't know why you would. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Place called "Toolmart" or something similar on Hangdong Road near the 711 on the corner of Koolpunt Ville 5. Double story shop-house, painted Yellow and Brown. This is on the City-bound side of the road. They have just about everything in the place and probably at better prices than Global.

As of 2014-12-02, Toolsmart has moved about 0.5 km further south on the same west side of the Chiang Mai - Hang Dong highway (#108). The brown and yellow multi-story shophouse is now occupied by a new auto parts store.

So if you are driving southbound from Chiang Mai, you will be very upset if you take the U-turn, as I did, after passing the brown/yellow shophouse on the northbound lane. You will have to go northbound all the way back to the middle ring road (Sompot 700-year Highway 3029) to make another U-turn southbound.

To reach Toolsmart, you can make a U-turn at the 3-way (som yek) intersection with the westbound highway (3044) that leads to the Chonpratan (canal) Road (a.k.a., Outer Ring Road 121). Look for the signs to the Night Safari, and U-turn there to get to Toolsmart a few hundred meters north along the northbound lane.

The Stihl MS180 machine was quoted to me around B9,800, but without responding with any negotiation, as I would prefer a cordless model (Makita XCU02Z?, Stihl MSA 160 C-BQ?) to avoid the hassles of petrol, oil, exhaust, and noise.