New rules. I will need actual teaching degree to teach in Thailand?

alex88

Unfortunately any new rules will result in fewer available teachers. I don't teach at a school anymore, I do help university students with their English entrance exams occasionally though. It's rewarding to teach students who want to learn, the reality of government school classroom's is much harsher. In a class of 50 there might be 20 who are interested in the lesson, if you're lucky! It can be mentally draining and anyone coming to teach here should be well versed in classroom management techniques.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of you that are prejudice towards "unqualified" teachers, most who teach English, let me say this, and I hope your THINK skulls understand what I am saying. These people teach because there are NOT enough English teaching teachers, these people, in most cases teach a better level of English than the majority of Thai teachers teaching English, if you have any decency then you should show some support, NOT condemnation, many of you behave more poorly than the kids you teach, like many teachers you have never grown up, and show the same lack of maturity as those kids in school, at least most will leave the school system and mature, unlike many of you. PS, I am NOT a teacher, or teaching English.

• Like 2

If you feel you have something to offer the kids and have a command of the English language, I ask you to come teach here, for the sake of the kids.

That is if you think you will be chosen among the huge number of competitors in teaching job

Why do you want to teach in Thailand where you will be paid less than a rice farmer if you don't have the qualifications because there are hundreds of people from all over the world doing the same thing as you but with teaching degrees, don't end up begging in the streets of Bangkok. You could always try China, Japan and Korea, also i hear Mongolia is a real hot spot right now for teaching, re search your market well before jumping in, Thailand is finished, many teachers in Laos now or Cambodia.

What is amazing is that far more advanced countries such as Japan and Korea hire CELTA teachers but Thailand is proposing banning these teachers as inadequate. Incredible!

Some schools also hire, - after they got rid of the expensive western teachers, and cashed their funds from Bangkok -, African teachers with forged papers, and a pronunciation, that you desperately want ear plugs, when they start to talk. But those guys are a lot cheaper, and help raising the income of the dean. This also is a part of the bitter truth of the educational system in Thailand, with no control whatsoever.

• Like 2

Enforce the need for a teaching degree in Thailand and give the kids a fair go-the vast majority of teachers without teacher training and experience are making it difficult for those who do/have. This nonsense that good teachers don't have to have appropriate training needs to be debunked. How many of the advocates in here are qualified to make a good judgement that these unqualified people are indeed capable teachers? Would you see a doctor because they claim to be human and get sick and are therefore qualified to practice medicine? Would you fly with a pilot who claims they can fly because they launched a kite... take on a lawyer who only had the experience of being in court for a youthful transgression? For goodness sake, if you aren't trained as a teacher it stands to reason you are unlikely to be a capable teacher. If you are serious, do the hard yards, get the training and make a decent job of it or get the hell out.

I have a problem, a degree does NOT make you a teacher, it simply means you can pass exams. By definition a teacher is "one that teaches; especially : one whose occupation is to instruct. All you people who condemn non "qualified" teachers... stick it. I have seen so many "qualified" teachers that are simply failures, but then I have seen many "unqualified" teachers who surpass those with their degrees.

• Like 1

The OP is correct. It's coming...... The tests for the 5 Year Thai Licence have been on hold. No one knows when or if they will start up again. Even the Thai cultural course is paused, and not needed anyway now.

They are and will change so that all Teachers here will need a Degree in Education. Even Thai teachers need this an Education Degree to teach, just like any other country. As I said, it's coming........

Don't even think about these so called Life Degrees, the MOE are on the ball as are most schools in Bangkok now.

The above news is new.

Thai culture is paused... why? they generate good income for this?

...all Teachers here will need a Degree in Education.

So, there will be few teachers remaining if they have no degree in education.

Edited by DGIE

Alex if you are presentable and can smile your way through frustrating situations, you'll be fine here. You will get a job very easily, most teachers can't handle the culture shock and many leave after the first semester. At work you must always smile and be positive, don't disagree with any of their methods, or working practices. Learn some polite Thai expressions, show willingness and they will accept you more.

The OP has every right to be paranoid. At this juncture...

Thai Culture Course cancelled and no word on reinstating

TCT exam is also in limbo, appears dropped to 1x a year, but no one really knows. We just have to count back in time for that reality. It appears it is being done away with for Thai's. Either way it is a total mess.

Waivers are good for a maximum of four yrs (2) , but with some bad luck (cheap schools firing you), you could burn thru 2 in a year or two - two schools.

Western teachers are being xhitcanned at a rapid rate replaced by Philipino's.

ASEAN - big question, but doubtful looks good for expat

Agencies - growing use, usually nothing but hassles scams and problems. Many schools do not hire directly.

TEFL is huge money, in this dicey environment.

There is no announcement to date for TCT exams. Only announcement that looks contrary to exams and support of farang going forward.

They could outsource the whole thing to.agencies or follow Korean, Jap and Chinese model and hire fresh grads for one year terms from home countries, thru agencies.

If you want to wing it, and pay 60k for the tefl on the process, up to you. If you want any stability - well, it is not there.

At least wait till a decision is made regarding lic. via exam path is validated.

I've stopped studying for exam and no way will I pay for tefl.

To add to all this bs I sm sure when a new Education Minister comes along, everything will change again. If you are not locked into Thailand (married or kids) maybe working in the gray zone can work for you. If you have family, I would not.

Most schools will hire directly, in fact if you're working in the provinces you'll often be able to negotiate a higher salary if you can find a school who are struggling to get a teacher. Some teachers I know in the NE are on 35 to 40k, teaching science and maths at a very basic level. As with all the 'rules' in Thailand these changes are open to interpretation. I met someone a couple of years ago who'd been teaching at the same school for years on an O visa. The school underwent yearly MOE checks, nothing is set in stone here.

Finally the Thai Govt is getting smart and requiring a Degree in Education

to teach in the Country. All to often, people just want to stay in Thailand and

feel because they have some remote, non education degree they somehow are

qualified to "teach"....Please for the sake of the children in Thailand, if you are not

qualified to teach in your own country why do you think you can teach in Thailand;

just because you can speak and write English....You must posess the qualification

to impart this information to students, principals and practice of education, and

a year of practice teaching will be the minimum qualification along with your four

year degree in EDUCATION.

If you did not study successfully to become a teacher in your home country, or have not obtained a diploma in social education, I ask you not to teach in Thailand, for the sake of the kids.

Schools are hiring non native English teachers that can barely speak English. sad.png Perhaps dodgy diplomas eh. whistling.gif

Soooooo perhaps kids have a better chance of learning English via someone from England.

Edited by transam

If you did not study successfully to become a teacher in your home country, or have not obtained a diploma in social education, I ask you not to teach in Thailand, for the sake of the kids.

Schools are hiring no native English teachers that can barely speak English. sad.png Perhaps dodgy diplomas eh. whistling.gif

Soooooo perhaps kids have a better chance of learning English via someone from England.

Oh well Native English teachers will now have to go to Korea where they are paid 3 times as much plus free housing and airfares and don't have to jump through hoops like teachers trying to work in Thailand have to do.

If you feel you have something to offer the kids and have a command of the English language, I ask you to come teach here, for the sake of the kids.

That is if you think you will be chosen among the huge number of competitors in teaching job

That is the case some area, but not another.

Out on the sticks here, I assure you, that you can drive quite a while to find some foreigner teachers, as the nearest 8-10 government schools has not one.

Sorry, no private schools near or not too near either, to give the choice.

I guess, there just isnt a fierce competition here for would be teachers, not for that 10.000thb offer the government schools had a while back.

And I am sure many rural areas are just like mine.

That is the case some area, but not another.

Out on the sticks here, I assure you, that you can drive quite a while to find some foreigner teachers, as the nearest 8-10 government schools has not one.

Sorry, no private schools near or not too near either, to give the choice.

I guess, there just isnt a fierce competition here for would be teachers, not for that 10.000thb offer the government schools had a while back.

And I am sure many rural areas are just like mine.

When Siam Computer & Language School posted 1 position, in just few hours there were almost 100 applicants. There were still applicants in the next hours and days. But the position is for school in Bangkok area.

But for sure, if you are goodlooking guy, you will surely be employed even if you are not an education degree

Schools are hiring no native English teachers that can barely speak English. sad.png Perhaps dodgy diplomas eh. whistling.gif

Oh well Native English teachers will now have to go to Korea where they are paid 3 times as much plus free housing and airfares and don't have to jump through hoops like teachers trying to work in Thailand have to do.

So there is a good salary in Korea. Is that South or North Korea?

But how about the cost of living there? You may also spend 3 times more than you spend here. If lesser, then it would be nice to go there if it is easy to get a teaching job.

So there is a good salary in Korea. Is that South or North Korea?

But how about the cost of living there? You may also spend 3 times more than you spend here. If lesser, then it would be nice to go there if it is easy to get a teaching job.

Obviously South Korea. It is a known fact. For starters South Korea is a fully developed country rather than a developing country as Thailand is. Starting salaries for unqualified Native English teachers are $2000 per month plus free housing and airfares.

When someone says Korea they obiously mean South Korea. North Korea is a basketcase and is not a proper functioning country.

Cost of living in South Korea is high but still lower than my own country. The main expense is housing and that is why housing is free. Food and transport are cheap compared to the west but expensive compared to Thailand. It is easy to get a job which is usually arranged before you arrive. I have had offers but I am really a lot more interested in being in Thailand as I love Thailand and it is already my second home.

Friends who I know who are working in Korea generally find that they can save about $1000 a month on the starting salary.

I would willingly work for 20,000 baht per month in Thailand, I have lived there on a lower budget than that before. But obviously would not be able to save money on that kind of salary. Would be worth it to live in Thailand though.

China is apparently the easiest place to get a job, you don't need any degree at all. But the pay is similar to Thailand and China would be a much less pleasant and more difficult place to live than Thailand.

Edited by alex88
  • Like 1

Alex, if you really love Thailand, I would suggest considering an online/distance PGCE from a uni in your country while you work in Thailand because sooner or later (probably sooner) a postgrad or Bachelor's in Education will be required here. Also this will open up the doors to higher level and higher paid work (though not necessarily more personally rewarding).

You will be able to find work here with your current qualifications while you do the PGCE or equivalent.

Alex, if you really love Thailand, I would suggest considering an online/distance PGCE from a uni in your country while you work in Thailand because sooner or later (probably sooner) a postgrad or Bachelor's in Education will be required here. Also this will open up the doors to higher level and higher paid work (though not necessarily more personally rewarding).

You will be able to find work here with your current qualifications while you do the PGCE or equivalent.

That's my plan. That's why I am hoping the provisional permit will still be available as I would like to live and work in Thailand while I complete my study and become fully qualified and then when the time comes to apply for a proper teaching permit then I will have a teaching degree plus experience as required.

This topic amuses me !

Are you people really " professionals" ?

If so, should I start a thread that argues that Medical Doctors only need a first aid certificate to practice. Engineers would of course only have to recognise the difference between a screwdriver and a wrench. Veterinarians would clearly have to know how to tell tell the difference between a dog and a cat.

Do you people expect airline pilots to be fully proficient and Qualified for their profession or will a 3 month "never fail" TEAFL type course on flying big airplanes satisfy the need ?

If the Thai authorities are moving toward ensuring only fully qualified professional people are employed to educate Thai children is that not something to applaud ?

Edited by Sceptict11
  • Like 1

The Thai authorities will never see a time when every foreign teacher here has an education degree, unless they doubled the average basic salaries. If anything salaries have steadily declined. These people are in the business of making money, educational concerns are almost certainly secondary.

If the Thai authorities are moving toward ensuring only fully qualified professional people are employed to educate Thai children is that not something to applaud ?

Indeed it is. But since these Thai aUthorities will NEVER come close to paying these professional teachers a salary or employment package that is compatible to neighbouring countries, the dissent in this thread is simply trying to help those authorities from boxing themselves into a corner.

It would be rather difficult for a Thai to admit that they screwed it all up due to lack of forethought....

Simon

Indeed it is. But since these Thai aUthorities will NEVER come close to paying these professional teachers a salary or employment package that is compatible to neighbouring countries, the dissent in this thread is simply trying to help those authorities from boxing themselves into a corner.

It would be rather difficult for a Thai to admit that they screwed it all up due to lack of forethought....

Simon

Is that a argument for continuing with non professional , poorly educated "teachers" .?

I believe children deserve better.

I see a lot of posts like Sceptict's. They have a point. One needs proper training to become a real teacher. Being able to speak English and having a good heart with the will to help youngsters learn is admirable but is not a real teacher.

I know there are some many problems with corruption, hey TiT! However, just to see what a real teacher knows is amazing. There are some great Thai teachers, I have had the privilege of working with some from all parts of Thailand. Sure, there are examples of the opposite too just as there are in many countries.

No degree? Work in a private language institute in a mall. No problem.

Is that a argument for continuing with non professional , poorly educated "teachers" .?

No, it is an argument to reach a 'middle ground', where the resources available (often a low salary, often bad working conditions in terms of large class sizes, lack of curriculum, lack of teacher support etc), are 'fine-tuned' to attract the most suitable teachers, who may or may not hold the most-preferred qualifications.

It is being realistic, not idealistic

• Like 2

I think we can drop the comparisons with Dr.'s and a few other professions. Let's remember that not all teachers here are English teachers. We have people teaching Physics, Chemistry, Advanced Mathematics and other specialized subjects. They teach in English, but they do not teach English.

Much is being said here about the perceived inefficiency of NES teachers. I can speak Thai with about 90% accuracy and I've had many in-depth conversations with Thai teachers in the past. I also used to quiz my students about their own language and I was shocked at how poor their basic understanding was. The conclusion I've drawn from those past conversations and my own experience is that the students themselves are apathetic about learning. It isn't all their fault, the rote system is outdated and the practice of giving everyone a pass score regardless has to stop. Native speakers here will almost never get to teach difficult grammatical structures, such as reported speech or conditionals. As long as they have a CELTA or TESOL they will be adequately capable teachers.

Yooyung. Two thoughts. Couldn't you do evenings at ABAC to get a teaching cert? If you were to do a yesr at home you could get a much better paid and possibly more rewarding job in a different school.