20K for Toyota Nav Upgrade!

Daffy D

So the lady in my fairly new Toyota Pick-Up Navigator has started getting moody.

She will start all bright and cheerful giving detailed directions but then after some time and for no logical reasons all we get is the Boing! like she is going to talk but then nothing.

So at the last service at Toyota asked about an upgrade for the Navigator, maybe the new lady would be a bit more sociable. rolleyes.gif

I thought it would be simple like installing the upgrade from a memory stick/card.

No! that seems to be too easy. Apparently the Navigator is on disk behind the center console and the whole lot has to be removed in order to install a new disk, and the cost is 20K w00t.gif

Erm! Thanks but no thanks I'll put up with the lady's mood swings, I can always go back to the old system of reading maps biggrin.png

Just get a Garmin for 4kbaht lifetime map upgrade included .

Ohhh and that sounds like a faulty unit.. not just upgrade .. get them to fix it..under warranty.

Pps : I just saw this. Is it the same unit or similar? It seems to imply the map is on SD card.

http://www.diycardvd.com/2012-2013-toyota-hilux-car-radio-dvd-gps-navigation-hd-screen-tv-bt-ipod-usb-pip-v-6-disc-3g-s60-system-p-2739.html

Edited by casualbiker

Just get a Garmin for 4kbaht lifetime map upgrade included . Ohhh and that sounds like a faulty unit.. not just upgrade .. get them to fix it..under warranty. Pps : I just saw this. Is it the same unit or similar? It seems to imply the map is on SD card. http://www.diycardvd.com/2012-2013-toyota-hilux-car-radio-dvd-gps-navigation-hd-screen-tv-bt-ipod-usb-pip-v-6-disc-3g-s60-system-p-2739.html

Mine looks similar, same same but different. rolleyes.gif

How old is the Toyota what's the unit you should have the instruction book in the car? As for getting to the back of the unit it take about 5 minutes just some trim and a few screws.

Yes will have a look at the instruction book. Not sure about a couple of screws and 5min to get to the unit looks more complicated then that blink.png Wife says pirate Nav disks are available but I would never consider such a thing.

Go to settings and change the voice guidance language to "Male".... He's much better and knows where he's going biggrin.png

cheesy.gif

You could try after you have turned on your Navi set up and pressed agree you will get tool's, set up + another go to up set up and then restore setting's, should reset it's self worth a try.

Hope this help's.

Suggested trying a reset to the wife, she's is in charge of the Nav, maybe that's the problem with the moody lady w00t.gif but she does not want to loose all her settings to ALL the relatives we visit about once a year.sad.png

biggrin.png

Mine looks similar, same same but different. rolleyes.gif

Yes will have a look at the instruction book. Not sure about a couple of screws and 5min to get to the unit looks more complicated then that blink.png Wife says pirate Nav disks are available but I would never consider such a thing.

How old is the Toyota what's the unit you should have the instruction book in the car? As for getting to the back of the unit it take about 5 minutes just some trim and a few screws.

Go to settings and change the voice guidance language to "Male".... He's much better and knows where he's going biggrin.png

cheesy.gif

Suggested trying a reset to the wife, she's is in charge of the Nav, maybe that's the problem with the moody lady w00t.gif but she does not want to loose all her settings to ALL the relatives we visit about once a year.sad.png

You could try after you have turned on your Navi set up and pressed agree you will get tool's, set up + another go to up set up and then restore setting's, should reset it's self worth a try.

Hope this help's.

biggrin.png

If you want some help say so or go back and ask the wife.

What is the model if it's fortuner or vigo there is no disc in the back the instruction book will tell if it's panasonic. As for the trim and screw I mean a normal radio shop 100bt well spent instead of pissing around.

Several years ago when the Camry first got a GPS option, the maps didn't even have Suvarnabhumi airport on them, yet it had been open for over a year at the time. After almost a year, Toyota announced that a map upgrade was available - for the cool cost of 30K Baht. An furore erupted in the Thai language motoring forums, and eventually Toyota backed down and offered the upgrade for free.

So, perhaps you just need to wait for more Thai VIGO owner's to get pissed off with it too? :P

Several years ago when the Camry first got a GPS option, the maps didn't even have Suvarnabhumi airport on them, yet it had been open for over a year at the time. After almost a year, Toyota announced that a map upgrade was available - for the cool cost of 30K Baht. An furore erupted in the Thai language motoring forums, and eventually Toyota backed down and offered the upgrade for free.

So, perhaps you just need to wait for more Thai VIGO owner's to get pissed off with it too? tongue.png

Any Fortuner with Navi just remove SD card and put a new one in with updated map unlocked available off the web free of charge. Don't wait for Toyota we can help our selves.

You won't lose any setting's give it ago. Why oh why are you letting the wife set the thing in the first place who paid for the car you or the Thai wife??? who has more than likely half a brain. If she wont let you sort it change her for a new model I know I would.

• Like 1

You won't lose any setting's give it ago. Why oh why are you letting the wife set the thing in the first place who paid for the car you or the Thai wife??? who has more than likely half a brain. If she wont let you sort it change her for a new model I know I would.

Well the reason for letting the wife set the Navigator is that she knows where her relatives live. coffee1.gif

Also when taking the kids out for the day or away for a weekend she looks up the location on the internet and again programs it in.

Works for me. thumbsup.gif

Seems my wife is a little smarter than the girls that you attract. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Daffy, be a man. Take control of the navi, reset it and see if it works.

Then mosy on down to the local gold shop, to make amends.

Er! Can I be half a man and leave the Nav as it is ? Then I won't get the blame if we get lost thumbsup.gif

And will save a trip to the gold shop biggrin.png

Daffy, be a man. Take control of the navi, reset it and see if it works.

Then mosy on down to the local gold shop, to make amends.

Er! Can I be half a man and leave the Nav as it is ? Then I won't get the blame if we get lost thumbsup.gif

And will save a trip to the gold shop biggrin.png

Well you started the OP asking for help what have you done about it as some advise has been offered that might help?

OK! OK! 1zgarz5.gif a reset it is

crying.gif

Let us know how you get on. On several occasions my map has played up. The little car was going but not on any road + that infernal women stopped talking. Popped into my local Toyota garage and all the bloke did was go to reset and away it went. Haven't lost any setting's as that I was told was in another part of the thing. If it go's on the blink and it has I just reset it all come's back. Can even do it whilst your on the move. It will close down but then it pop's up again a min: or so later.

Maps for all built in car gps are very very expensive from the manafacturer.

I strongly suggest buying a gps that uses SpeedNavi as they use the ESRI package that Garmin used to use when they were popular. (Best map there is for Thailand). You can get a good unit like the Kazzar for about 5000 baht from many BTS stores. Updates are free for one year and only 900baht a year after that. THere are two updates a year.