I got red stamped

When I got my current visa – a single-entry tourist visa I obtained in Vientiane, Laos – I also got the red stamp warning me that since I'd already gotten a number of tourist visas, I may be refused a visa in the future. I have a number of questions, but first, in case it is relevant, here is my visa history:

I entered Thailand for the first time in June 2011 on a single-entry non-immigrant ED visa obtained with paperwork provided by a Thai language school. (I had gotten this initial visa from a Thai consulate in the US).

After a couple months in Thailand, this visa was converted to a 1-year visa; during this time I reported (and paid money) to the Chaeng Wattana office in BKK every 90 days.

After the one year came to an end, I ended up doing visa runs to get another 3 single-entry non-immigrant ED visas.

In April 2013 I decided I'd had enough of school so I got a single-entry tourist visa, and a second in July 2013.

I went home to the US for most of September and October 2013. When I flew back into BKK in late October, I got stamped in for 30 days on arrival at the airport.

In late November 2013 I did a visa run to Vientiane and was given a single-entry tourist visa, along with the red stamp warning. None of the officials at the consulate said anything to me about the red stamp. I was kind of surprised because this was only my third tourist visa (all single-entry), and I had recently been back in the US for almost 2 months.

I got all the visas in Vientiane, with the exception of the initial one that I got in the US, and one of the ED visas, which I got in Savannakhet.

So here are my questions:

1. Has anyone else gotten the red stamp, and if so, what happened next?

2. Does the red stamp mean I will likely be refused a tourist visa the next time that I apply for one?

3. If I show proof of adequate finances – ie, a copy of my US bank statement – will this get me a visa? And what would be adequate?

4. Will this effect my chances of getting a non-immigrant visa if I decide to go back to school?

5. Since I got the red stamp in Vientiane, would it pay to go elsewhere (such as back to Savannakhet, or to a country other than Laos)?

6. If I get refused a tourist visa, can I still re-enter Thailand either by land (getting stamped in for 15 days) or air (getting stamped in for 30 days)? Or will I get “locked out” of the country? And if so, for how long?

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's been in this situation, or knows someone who has. Thanks!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"1. Has anyone else gotten the red stamp, and if so, what happened next?"

Red stamp is embassy specific and also passport specific. You can still go to other Thai Embassies like the one in Cambodia. New passport also helps. Go ask some visa run company too.

"2. Does the red stamp mean I will likely be refused a tourist visa the next time that I apply for one?"

Yes, from Vientiane but others are still available.

"3. If I show proof of adequate finances – ie, a copy of my US bank statement – will this get me a visa? And what would be adequate?"

Each embassy has a bit different policies, some are more strict (like Singapore) and some are more relaxed.

"4. Will this effect my chances of getting a non-immigrant visa if I decide to go back to school?"

No, totally different visa.

"5. Since I got the red stamp in Vientiane, would it pay to go elsewhere (such as back to Savannakhet, or to a country other than Laos)?"

Yes.

"6. If I get refused a tourist visa, can I still re-enter Thailand either by land (getting stamped in for 15 days) or air (getting stamped in for 30 days)? Or will I get “locked out” of the country? And if so, for how long?"

Yes but I think there is a limit for those too. Just try to get either ED visa or tourist visa from another embassy. The best could be in the US, double or triple entry visa. Always apply the max number of visas available.

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 2

Thanks for the quick responses!

I've only ever used single-entry visas; is it possible to get a double/multiple entry visa in a neighboring southeast asian country?

@Mario: that's good to know, for some reason I thought that entering Thailand by land would only get me 15 days.

If you don't mind traveling a little further you could get a 3 entry from the honorary consulate in Bali. You would need one ticket out of Thailand for anytime during the visas 6 months validity.

I suspect you got the red stamp because of your unusual visa history especially those 3 back to back ED visas.

Get a new passport. With the laughable state of Thai immigration's "computer records," it will be like you're entering the country for the first time.

Aside from a wonderful excuse to do a little childish Thai bashing, your comment may create a false sense of security for the serial visa abusers and others who seek to circumvent the rules.

But have there actually been incidents where people entering Thailand on tourist visas who obtained new passports after being red stamped on their old ones were then red stamped on the new ones? 

Why not get a non-immigrant B 'investors visa' with multiple entry for a year when you were back home in USA? Or why not apply for multiple entry Tourist Visa when in USA? Cheaper and easier. 

Could you please advise on how he would get an investors visa.

Tourist visas are a not issued as multiple entries they are issued by the number of entries (1, 2 or 3)

• Like 1

last i heard, which was several years ago, on a tourist visa(s) you were allowed only

90 days out of the last 180 days.  this is a "running" 180 days.. ie, from today back

for 180 days. if your next tourist visa will be more than those 90 days of the last

180 days, you will have to leave the kingdom until your eligibility (more than 180

days) returns.

this means that out of the last 180 days you can only be in the kingdom on a tourist

visa no more than 90 days.  half of the time must be spent outside the kingdom.

perhaps the dreaded red stamp is to alert you and/or the consulate the next time

you apply that your 90 day of 180 days is in question and deserves a closer look.

if this is the case, when you get more days you can return the kingdom again, no

fault... however, you won't be allowed to run over 90 days in a 180 day period.

that is what it used to be. i haven't heard of any change but there might have been.

bubba

Obtaining a new passport is not that easy if a passport is current and has adequate blank pages.

Actually, it isnt that difficult neither...

A damaged passport would get you a reason for replacement. Easy enough.

I wouldnt go with the lost/stolen passport, but that would get a new one too.

Obtaining a new passport is not that easy if a passport is current and has adequate blank pages.

Many "things" could render a passport unfit for use ! 

It is illegal to deliberately deface a passport .

As I said a straight choice --------lies or criminality 

last i heard, which was several years ago, on a tourist visa(s) you were allowed only

90 days out of the last 180 days.  this is a "running" 180 days.. ie, from today back

for 180 days. if your next tourist visa will be more than those 90 days of the last

180 days, you will have to leave the kingdom until your eligibility (more than 180

days) returns.

this means that out of the last 180 days you can only be in the kingdom on a tourist

perhaps the dreaded red stamp is to alert you and/or the consulate the next time

you apply that your 90 day of 180 days is in question and deserves a closer look.

if this is the case, when you get more days you can return the kingdom again, no

that is what it used to be. i haven't heard of any change but there might have been.

bubba

Your post is out of date by over 5 years. And that only applied to visa exempt entries not tourist visas.

The 90 days rule went away when they changed visa exempt entries to 15 days at the border.

• Like 1

Why not get a non-immigrant B 'investors visa' with multiple entry for a year when you were back home in USA? Or why not apply for multiple entry Tourist Visa when in USA? Cheaper and easier. 

Tourist visas are a not issued as multiple entries they are issued by the number of entries (1, 2 or 3)

You can get a non immigrant B Investors visa by working with a law firm (or similar entry) who write a letter saying you are visiting Thailand for the purpose of investment / to buy a business, etc. With that paperwork, back in USA you can apply at an honorary consulate and get this visa. Not sure if it works same for other nationalities. 

Thanks for clarifying my mistake - I should have said "double entry tourist visa". That would be 2 60 day tourist visas. 

God this is rubish ( --------lies or criminality)   you just make this up or what                     you just need to apply The end

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Like 1

days) returns.

bubba

Your post is out of date by over 5 years. And that only applied to visa exempt entries not tourist visas.

The 90 days rule went away when they changed visa exempt entries to 15 days at the border.

like i said..it has been awhile - and i've slept since then!

thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

You can get a non immigrant B Investors visa by working with a law firm (or similar entry) who write a letter saying you are visiting Thailand for the purpose of investment / to buy a business, etc. With that paperwork, back in USA you can apply at an honorary consulate and get this visa. Not sure if it works same for other nationalities. 

Thanks for clarifying my mistake - I should have said "double entry tourist visa". That would be 2 60 day tourist visas. 

To get a multiple entry non B visa what some law firms have done is write a letter saying that you were coming to work for a company or some other questionable purpose.There have been many that paid a good deal of money for one of those letters only to be denied the visa when they applied.

Thanks for the quick responses!

I've only ever used single-entry visas; is it possible to get a double/multiple entry visa in a neighboring southeast asian country?

@Mario: that's good to know, for some reason I thought that entering Thailand by land would only get me 15 days.

It's changed again to 30 days. You should also know that there is a new border quite close tp Bangkok, not too far from Kanchanaburi, its called Nam Rom Phu I think. It's been mentioned on the site before but can't find the exact link sorry.

• Like 1

Get a new passport. With the laughable state of Thai immigration's "computer records," it will be like you're entering the country for the first time.

Aside from a wonderful excuse to do a little childish Thai bashing, your comment may create a false sense of security for the serial visa abusers and others who seek to circumvent the rules.

But have there actually been incidents where people entering Thailand on tourist visas who obtained new passports after being red stamped on their old ones were then red stamped on the new ones? 

I have never heard of any. Some people think that noticing anything like this makes you a Thai basher and that circumventing the arbitrary restrictions of a beuracrat makes you a first class criminal. The whole situation is rather synthetic; most countries have tourist visas available for longer than three months. The Dominican Republic has a seven year one for three hundred dollars. As long as no long term tourist visa exists, these situations will keep coming up.

To get a multiple entry non B visa what some law firms have done is write a letter saying that you were coming to work for a company or some other questionable purpose.There have been many that paid a good deal of money for one of those letters only to be denied the visa when they applied.

I have done it with no problems. And know of 3 others who have also done it. The letter does not state one is 'coming to work for a company' it states that ' the individual is coming to look at investment opportunities and is being advised by said firm'. And when you arrive back in Thailand they will give you a list of companies for sale and if you are interested you can deal with them. Or just toss the list in the trash, like I did.

Sad to hear folks are getting taken for a ride with this. But then I did not go with a bullsh@t Thai idiot attorney, but rather a multiple services firm that had legal services. And I knew it had worked for friends of mine. 

• Like 2

[quote name="realenglish1" post="7313672" timestamp="1390118888"]Just to let everyone know. You do not need an excuse for a new Passport   Just go to the US embassy and apply They are very happy to help.   New passport you will not have any problem getting  tourist visas[/quote] If you apply for the new visa here in Thailand at the embassy you have to go finally with both passports to immigration and they will transfer the stamp. Or you have to inform that you lost your passport and report to the police. Get your passport outside Thailand if you want to go that way. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Just to let everyone know. You do not need an excuse for a new Passport

Just go to the US embassy and apply They are very happy to help.

New passport you will not have any problem getting  tourist visas

If you apply for the new visa here in Thailand at the embassy you have to go finally with both passports to immigration and they will transfer the stamp. Or you have to inform that you lost your passport and report to the police. Get your passport outside Thailand if you want to go that way.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Incorrect               VISA's can not be tranferd     only extension can be tranferd

• Like 1

[quote name="MikeandDow" post="7313888" timestamp="1390121417"][quote name="blabth" post="7313858" timestamp="1390121113"] [quote name="realenglish1" post="7313672" timestamp="1390118888"]Just to let everyone know. You do not need an excuse for a new Passport   Just go to the US embassy and apply They are very happy to help.   New passport you will not have any problem getting  tourist visas[/quote] If you apply for the new visa here in Thailand at the embassy you have to go finally with both passports to immigration and they will transfer the stamp. Or you have to inform that you lost your passport and report to the police. Get your passport outside Thailand if you want to go that way. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand  [/quote] Incorrect              [u][b] VISA's[/b][/u] can not be tranferd     only extension can be tranferd[/quote] The embassy will stamp your old passport as invalid and you have to show the old and new passport if you leave. If the officer will put the remarks ( red stamp) in your passport is up to him. Ok tourist visa will not be transferred but all others will and you have to go to immigration. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

...I forgot to take my passport out of the trousers, It ended up in the washing machine.Criminal?

Edited by fxe1200