having your dog micro-chipped.

how important is it to have your dog chipped in Thailand.

there is a story in my ex.city's south wales argus in the uk.of a dog that went missing over 10yrs.ago leaving the family deverstated but they never gave up hope of finding him.he was picked up by the local council and taken to their kennels as the dog had been chipped they were able to trace the owner they are overjoyed at the reunion but sadly the dog is not well having been neglected by who ever had him.

so is this service available here and common in all towns and cities.

If you want to improve the chance of the dog being returned if it's lost, it's a good idea. The problem is that with so many street dogs, it's doubtful anyone would take a dog in to be checked. Probably better to have a visible tag in Thai and English with your details. That might draw attention and motivate someone to call you.

There was a requirement in some places for dogs to be chipped so that owners could be traced and charged if they dumped their dogs on the street. I don't think it's ever been enforced though.

If you want to improve the chance of the dog being returned if it's lost, it's a good idea. The problem is that with so many street dogs, it's doubtful anyone would take a dog in to be checked. Probably better to have a visible tag in Thai and English with your details. That might draw attention and motivate someone to call you.

There was a requirement in some places for dogs to be chipped so that owners could be traced and charged if they dumped their dogs on the street. I don't think it's ever been enforced though.

ours has a name tag,tellephone no.and a reward on return if he ever got lost.

never mind about dogs that get dumped it amazed me the number that were left out by owners on new yrs eve and they end up looking for them after being frightened by the fireworks.

Go to any decent-looking vets and ask, if you want a microchip. I just had my cats microchipped - it's a standard chip. But it won't help much in Thailand - as others said, a visible tag on the collar is better.

Just had my dogs microchipped. It was 600 baht per dog.

I only did it because I'm taking my dogs to Europe and it's one of the requirements. I don't know how useful the chip would be here. If my dog ever got lost, I don't think a Thai would take him to the vet and have him scanned. I'm going to guess most Thais don't even know about microchips in dogs, so it's not something that would cross their minds.

My dogs all have tags on their collars and I think that's a better option for Thailand. Tag is laser engraved and has the dog's name on one side. On the other side, it has the word "call" written in Thai and my phone number.

Edited by dotx

There was a push a few years ago to get dogs chipped and it was done for free on some government scheme at the local temple (suburban Bangkok).

We got 4 dogs done that day.

Thailand seems to use the international standard (unlike the US, which doesn't - don't know about Oz). Took two little dogs to Europe with us. The other dogs are still at the house in Thailand, being looked after by family.

Here's what I found in Pattaya. Most vets including City vet can't do microchipping. After long search found Muang Ake vet (Sukhumvit highway near Tesco) could for Baht 500. One month to get certificate. Website (sorry don't have the link anymore) was impossible to navigate. City vet doesn't have chip reader. So if dog is lost having it chipped doesn't appear to increase its chances of being returned.

Second dog not microchipped. I consider that I wasted my money on the first one. Dogs should not get lost except in very unusual circumstances as your dog should be kept behind a gate on your property and if out in public areas properly leashed. Dognapping has been known to happen here either for ransom or cooking. In the first case you'll get it back if you pay the price, chipped or not, in the second chipping would have no affect except perhaps breaking a tooth of the consumer.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

well if its ransom or cooking make the reward 10 times more than what they would get for trading.

there was one story on the tv.news channel and the paper last week where the owner offered 100,000bht.for the return of her dog that's a bit mean.

• 4 months later...

Can anyone advice where to microchip your dog in Bangkok? Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think you might be better off asking who if anybody has a micro-chip reader.

• Like 1

Thinking of leaving Thailand soon and you need to have your dogs microchipped in order to bring it to your home country. Went to a vet and was told they don't do microchip ping in Bangkok! Quite odd....

Thinking of leaving Thailand soon and you need to have your dogs microchipped in order to bring it to your home country. Went to a vet and was told they don't do microchip ping in Bangkok! Quite odd....

your best bet is to phone around the veternery hospitals I know we have one here in korat that does the chipping 500bht.

click and ask google.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to do a lot more than just microchipping. You also need a special blood test that must be done at least 4 months before your trip. This is for any country in Europe, as well as Singapore and other places. If you're from the US, then you don't need this. I'd recommend calling Thonglor Animal Hospital to get all the details. I'm taking three dogs to Europe in a few months and I can tell you it's a long, slow process...

• 5 years later...
On 1/19/2014 at 10:20 PM, Suradit69 said:

Clearly a microchip is useless in Thailand as nobody has a chip reader. This is ridiculous to even sell the chips.