Best Dental Clinics in Bangkok (Endodontists and Crowns)

I'd agree it's pretty hard to find much consensus on this subject. Different people have different experiences, and the reports of satisfaction vary widely.

Part of that may be due to the fact that the quality of service you receive isn't so much related to which clinic you choose/use, as it is what individual dentist you use.

At any given place, there may be some excellent practitioners, working right alongside some real duds. That's why I wish more people here would report their good experiences with specific doctors, instead of just saying they went to such and such clinic -- which may well have 20-40-50 different dentists working there.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have lived here for decades and I have used all manner of dentists. From the very expensive clinics that service wealthy Thais and expats to the one-chair shops you see in every neighbourhood. I k

You probably shouldn't get hung up on the need for international qualifications of Thai dentists. The dental schools here are excellent and there are literally thousands of very very good dentists in

This must be the oral dental centre? I have been there a few times they are very good and do not do work that is not needed, unlike some. Now I go to Mahinol Uni near Victory monument as it's a bit ch

Been on Suk 49 - v expensive. After coming across one guy who was a butcher, never went back ( pulled my wisdom tooth and i was wasted for 3 days, tried to pull my wifes, and she came running out crying ... And she can handle pain ( ie broken toe and was ok with it )) almost laid the butcher flat

Have found another guy who's quite Okay and nice but I suspect he likes to overcharge

Edited by skippybangkok
  • Like 1

Yes, thanks for those two comments folks. What you seem to be saying is that there's not much point spending a lot of time and effort traipsing round to research a best clinic because at the end of the day it's going to be down to pot luck and what individual dentist you land up with anyway.

However I'll try and keep this thread warm for a few days in the hope that it attracts someone else who's used Dr.Sunil and can report how they fared.

I'm also interested in this thread....although I may try to get the same dentist who sorted my gf's smile out at a gov hospital.

I'm sure she must have some private practice somewhere...in dentistry I'm happy to pay for quality...but not bells and whistles.

However I'll try and keep this thread warm for a few days in the hope that it attracts someone else who's used Dr.Sunil and can report how they fared.

In doing research/searching online in recent months, I found (not just here on TV) a lot of positive comments from foreign customers re their treatment at Dr. Sunil.

So, I got a quote from them for an implant, but that's as far as I went. Thus I can't speak re them out of any direct personal experience.

I can say, I didn't find much in the way of negative comment about them. As for the positive comment, it's always hard to tell whether that's genuine or part of some orchestrated online marketing campaign.

I will say, I was referred by my regular dentist at Suk Soi 49 to what I gather is the main implantologist there and had some preparatory experience with him. Suffice to say, won't be doing back to him for anything.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Your comments much appreciated, TallGuy. Thanks. From what I'm seeing, it looks as if they go out of their way to make foreigners comfortable with things like free transport pickup and drop, a free night in their accomodation, communication in English, Those must all put their prices up I suppose, and this makes it harder to judge how much a clinic's prices really reflect the quality and experrtise of their actual dentists. Anyway I'm going to use them to get my first quote and try to gain a better idea of what treatment plan I need. From what you say, it might be sensible for me to be cautious about plunging headlong into their full treatment plan without getting at least a second opinion. Apart from my major implant and replacement bridge requirement, I'm just now finding another tooth is starting to crumble, so I might try letting them loose on repairing this as a kind of test before making a decision about my major work.

Anyone else got any first-hand experience or story to tell about Dr.Sunil?

I like the idea of trying a new place on a smaller thing first, before potentially picking them to do more major work. And see how things go.

I know you're anxious to get things resolved. But for anything like the bigger major work you're describing, I'd always get a 2nd or 3rd opinion/estimate if possible.

I feel like people sugar coat this subject here. I could go into my theories why, but I wont. In short, if a good solid dentist in the US is say a 10 for example, I would call the average dentist here about a 6 or 7. If you have to get your teeth cleaned it may move up to 9 or 10, but for anything serious, forget it, the quality is going to be way lower.

People who think the docs here are good must not be living here. Have you been to the schools? Seen the way they train people? Seen the way they do things in general? This is not top notch care people. Places like Bumrungrad can put a nice cherry on the top and make things look good, but it is really just very expensive lipstick put onto a pretty darned ugly pig.

Having said all that, if you must go here I recommend asavanant.

Agree in general. Education standards are much lower here and there is no fear of lawsuits for incompetent service.

When you have lived here awhile you learn to see underneath the act a bit more. Watch real closely at any kind of professional service and you will see the cracks.

A good example was when I was at the most reputable dental clinic in chiang mai and the dentist started singing to the overhead music while working in my mouth. Just not something you would find happen in a "normal" reputable place that took the procedure seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

My dentists were good, good enough at DC on 49. I've had lots of work done over years, since I've been a kid. I take care of my teeth and mouth. Consider myself a good judge.

I've been going to Dental Clinic Suk 49 for well over a decade. For some years looking for a new clinic as they raised prices and appears changed ownership. Services expendive, but good. I liked my assigned dentists. The price increase on top of poor exch rate left me feeling the place eas acting ridiculous. It was already one of most expensive in Thailand. Cleaning and check is now b1750.

My last visit for cleaning was dreadful, the entire experience. The cleaning which was not performed by my regular dentist was very bad.

Do not use this place. I'm soooo done with it.

PS I had a cleaning at BIDC very unimpressed, definitely caters to farang. Somehow lack of Thai's is telling. Finally, when you see loads of signage about how great a business is, run...

A main concern for me is hepatitis although I've had shots for A.B. Then of course HIV.

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

My last visit for cleaning was dreadful, the entire experience. The cleaning which was not performed by my regular dentist was very bad.

Do not use this place. I'm soooo done with it.

I think that's where things went wrong. If you have a regular dentist you're satisfied with, stick with them. As I've said earlier in this thread, it's the individual dentist more than the clinic that matters most in terms of quality of service.

When I first started going to BDH, they didn't really offer me any choice of cleaning dentist. Just assigned me to one, whom I didn't know at all and, after several cleanings, didn't like at all based on the kind of treatment they delivered.

So, I asked one of the other non-cleaning dentists there who I did like and had done good work for me in the past to recommend someone, and explained to her what I disliked about the original cleaning dentist. The non-cleaning dentist recommended a colleague, and I've been pleased with the cleanings she's done ever since.

That said, they are indeed expensive, and have gotten more expensive. For any more involved procedures than cleanings or a simple filling, I'd certainly get an evaluation and cost estimate elsewhere before deciding.

I followed the advice of the best ThaiVisa moderator, Sheryl, and went to Dental Hospital in Suk 49, near Samitivej Hospital. It is 15 minutes walk from BTS or a short motorbike ride, but pleasant, painless and professional. Most patients are farang and costs are high by Thai standards, though.

I got a post and crown here 5years ago and they are still perfect. Some people have negative comments about this place but I recommend it. Last time I visited was in March for check up and clean. The costs are high but a third of what I would pay in Ireland.

Although I'd originally planned to hawk my mouth round to several dentists before deciding which one to use, I changed my mind and plumped for the first one on my list, Dr.Sunil, since my first introductory experience there was very positive. Not only very friendly, welcoming and communicative, but good reports from other expats (mostly from Oz) I got to talk to sitting in their waiting area. I've now had 2 surgical extractions and one implant done, and am currently half-way through getting 4 crowns fitted, and so far I'm finding it all positive and professional. They are very much geared to handling expat customers, and I suppose that must add to their costs, but that gearing also implies adopting expat standards, which is giving me a lot of confidence. The only downside from my personal point of view is that they are in Bangkok, and I'm in Chiangrai, so I'm going to have to make several trips down there in the course of my treatments, but I feel the high standards of professionalism I'm getting, make it worthwhile. .