Expat bar in Mahasarakham

Mr Yim

Ok, first things first.
Sign on the shutter states they re-open again this Friday 31st.
Google Map link here-----> BB Bar
Attached photo will assist in locating this place. of an evenings the parked fleet of blue & white Siam Smail Card vehicles make a very visible landmark to look out for.

Well done you got there before me with the map. There's a 7-11 on the other side of the canal if that helps. It's amazing how many times I find things based on 7-11 signs.

Someone said mentioned a sign. there is one that says BB pretty clearly.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, first things first.
Attached photo will assist in locating this place. of an evenings the parked fleet of blue & white Siam Smail Card vehicles make a very visible landmark to look out for.

Pretty well hidden by the look of things. I can see how Norlund could miss it.

That's awesome!

I wish they had an ex-pat bar like this in Kalasin, or maybe they do already?

I always venture down to M-Sarakham regularly on the weekends because I visit family friends.

I'll be sure to drop by and check the place out next time in town.

There is an "Expat Bar" in Kalasin... It is called "Scott's Bar" and is located about a block from the Bus Station heading towards town on the right side of the Soi that angles slightly to the left as you stand in front of the Bus Station facing towards town...

Small Bar but nice owner's and serve some "Farang" foods as well... http://scotts-kalasin.com/

Pianoman..

Ok, first things first.

Well done you got there before me with the map. There's a 7-11 on the other side of the canal if that helps. It's amazing how many times I find things based on 7-11 signs.

Someone said mentioned a sign. there is one that says BB pretty clearly.

There is a big sign that says BB, but I think that they keep the sign indoor when the bar is closed.

Its a sausage like substance made out of congealed blood, hence the colour. Cut in slices and served sometimes with an English breakfast (if you live north of Watford).

Much better answer. No offense but it's something I wud not enjoy eating whilst drinking beer lols

You would if it was filled with oats and deep-fried, Orkney style, trust me!

[Orkney is an island very far north of Watford]

Its a sausage like substance made out of congealed blood, hence the colour. Cut in slices and served sometimes with an English breakfast (if you live north of Watford).

Much better answer. No offense but it's something I wud not enjoy eating whilst drinking beer lols

You would if it was filled with oats and deep-fried, Orkney style, trust me!

[Orkney is an island very far north of Watford]

I know. Frank told me ! 555

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 months later...

A long Shot as this is an old thread....

Right. Can any of you guys or gals help me out here,

I live in Kantharawichai district of Sarakham ….I have a friend visiting my village from Aussie and would like to take him into Mara Sarakham for a drink or 3...or 4.

If coming towards the Hospital (hospital on right hand side) do I take a left at the cross roads b4 the hospital along side the klong and with the old Siam Thai centre on the right hand side, and is it down there somewhere...Gps would be nice if possible.

And what are the opening times…

A guy in Tesco (sounded Aussie but I don’t know) reminded me of BB Bar the other day, but as I’m not a Bar drinker of such I didn’t take much notice of him (wish I had now…Sorry.)

I’m from England by the way…also I will probably have a Danish guy in tow from the same Village…Thank You in advance of information.

and being from Middlesbrough i carn't wait to taste the Black Pudding...

(north of Watford indeed..Black Pudding is a true Yorkshire delicacy..i dream of Back Pudding me!!!)

well mr firefox ,i can update you but not as much as my firefox is updated.im near si suk so pass kanthanerwichai on my way in .as you say at the junction before the hospital turn right so the klong is on your left.go almost to end .its on the right next to those decorated cars.

Mr Luxoretired i didn`t expect such a speedy reply....OK thanks for the directions i was thinking it was in the opposite

direction, we will have to get along there after Songkran, like i say i`m not a bar person but i know my Aussie friend

will enjoy it...Thanks Again and Cheers.

Black pudding and beer!

Now that's what I call a menu!!!!!

Okay, this may sound silly, but what is black pudding?

come on man the goodies tv show l remember 1 episode they were belting geezers with black pudding

The place I believe is shut! Maybe just for Songran, but maybe closed down!
Maybe we expats here need to find an alternative venue now?
Any ideas guys?

It doesn't need to be a farlang bar does it? I like to stay at Simueng Steak House. A restaurant not far away from the Toyota dealership. The owner is very friendly and speaks English very well. It happens that I see a foreigner or two there. The drawback is that the restaurant closes 10 pm.

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys an update. There has been a bit of a fall out at the BB Bar and the Kiwi owner has gone back to New Zealand. There is no longer a farang presence, but the bar is still open and nothing has really changed, except that it seems very few farangs go there now.

There was never black pudding on the menu. A local farang (Will) made some black pudding and took it to the bar one evening and gave it out to anyone who fancied it. It was superb. He also makes fantastic sausage rolls and scotch eggs. He is just opening a small fishing park - I think on the Wapi road.

Where to go now. I personally go to Suki Lao . . . 159 baht for 3 x Chang Export or the Wine Corner . . . owned by Thai "playboy" with mohican hairstyle and a million baht Harley. He has 5-6 sexy girls working at his air conditioned bar and some excellent musicians who are more than happy to play English music. The other day one of the musicians ended the evening with two U2 numbers and Wonder Wall by Oasis. The only downside is a bottle of Leo is 100 baht and ice is 30 baht a bucket. In both bars the staff and customers are very friendly.

In the pipeline. . . is a small coffee emporium owned by a dutch guy - Bram. He will shortly be opening on a Saturday evenings to serve beer and farang food. He is a good guy with a terrible fashion sense wink.png . It is unlikely to happen before the end of May but I will keep you posted on any developments.

Respect wai.gif

I was in Sarakham recently and was told about a bar called Gaaeo Khan (Shining Cup?), which allegedly has coyote dancers. Webpage is here (albeit garbled):

http://drink.edtguide.com/335923_kaewkarn-music-hall

I never got the chance to check this out, but there is map on the webpage. I also heard there is an Isaan-style bar on the Kalasin road, where hostesses will sit with you as you listen to Morlam or Luk Thung. I'd like to explore a little on my next trip, but my first-hand knowledge of the local scene is out of date. Can anybody give a report on either of these? My thanks to Mr Yim for the pointers about other options above.

If you want a bar close to bb bar I use PARTY BAR RIM (0885721796) on klong. If driving from bb bar towards serm thai plaza its on the same side as bb and only about half kilometre from there opposite Flow view restaurant. The bar is small and only sells beer etc at 60bht. The owner is a Thai guy who speaks english and supports Chelsea fc, very friendly, will play music to your liking Usually there's a guy in there from UK who as a unit next to the bar.

I was in Sarakham recently and was told about a bar called Gaaeo Khan (Shining Cup?), which allegedly has coyote dancers. Webpage is here (albeit garbled):

http://drink.edtguide.com/335923_kaewkarn-music-hall

I never got the chance to check this out, but there is map on the webpage. I also heard there is an Isaan-style bar on the Kalasin road, where hostesses will sit with you as you listen to Morlam or Luk Thung. I'd like to explore a little on my next trip, but my first-hand knowledge of the local scene is out of date. Can anybody give a report on either of these? My thanks to Mr Yim for the pointers about other options above.

I think you are right about Gaaeo Khan. It is ok but very pricey. . . I think I paid something like 300 baht for a Heineken and bucket of ice!!! It is a pretty young crowd that get in there but there are some girls wandering around in bikinis. Not sure if that makes it coyote though.

Not aware of the Isaan bar on the Kalasin Road, but if you buy any of the hostesses a drink they are willing to sit with you. The problem is that very few speak English which makes most of them shy away or perhaps they just dont want to sit with lecherous old farangs . . . 555

Kaew Khan is alright, I used to go there a bit when I lived in Sarakham. Prices then (2 years ago) were 100 Baht for Big bottles of Cheers or 120 Baht for Heinekin, 700 for a big bottle of Red Label then 40 baht for Ice and 40 baht for each bottle of soda. So really expensive for Sarakham, but not that bad otherwise. Prices could have gone up since I was there, since the alcohol tax has gone up since then, but I doubt they'd have gone up by too much.

The coyotes will go around the various tables in bikinis selling shots, and will dance in the cages for a few songs every hour or two. Usually they ask you to buy a shot for them, and then they'll give you a shot as well. Often a portion of the shots are just water/lemonade, and so they try to pick out those ones for themselves (As otherwise they can end up absolutely smashed, which can be quite an interesting show when they get up to dance later).

The other bar you're referring to, a little bit out of town, is Da Wan Dang, which is part of a chain of nightclubs, you can find "Da Wan Dang" in most of the major cities in Thailand. It's a similar style to Kaew Khan, so a big music hall with live bands etc, although without the Coyotes.

I know Tawan Daeng, on the road towards Kamalasai (2367), but the one I had been told about was a smaller Isaan-style bar with hostesses on the 213 (Kalasin) road. Of course, there are a few small bars like this in the Pantip area near Tawan Daeng, but this one sounded better,

I know Tawan Daeng, on the road towards Kamalasai (2367), but the one I had been told about was a smaller Isaan-style bar with hostesses on the 213 (Kalasin) road. Of course, there are a few small bars like this in the Pantip area near Tawan Daeng, but this one sounded better,

There is a bar on the Kalasin road which has just been rebuilt. Maybe that is the one. But if you want a girl to come and sit with you, you can go to the White House, Suki Lao or the bar at the far end of the Klong (I dont know its name) or the Wine Corner on the ring road. Few of the girls can speak English, but if buy them a drink they are happy to sit there and try and communicate with you. I would be happy to join you for a beer, when you are next in town.

I haven't been out to the bars near Mor Mai much, but the bar might be one which some of my friends have referred to called "Ouh Ee" bar, or similar (I've only ever heard the name, not seen it in writing). But from what friends have told me about it, there are a lot of very attractive waitresses who will sit down with you for a chat etc if you like, however the bar is meant to be quite expensive.

My mates told me about it a few years ago, and have since gone back to their home countries, so I don't know for sure if it's still running, but assume so.

Thank you for your kind offer Mr Yim but probably will not be in Sarakham until August now.

That's ok by the time you arrive it is likely that some of the bars will have closed and new ones opened. . . this is Mahasarakham.

I am at the Taksila hotel, which of these expat bars is close by. Don't know my way round, only new to the area so as much direction as possible will be appreciated.

Coming out of the hotel with the canal ('klong') in front of you, turn left and proceed until you come to a major crossroads junction with traffic lights. By then you will have passed the older of the city's two Serm Thai department stores (with KFC inside) and the bus station (both on left). Go straight across the big junction. You'll see the provincial hospital on the left, and the bars will begin to start, mainly on the right-hand side of the road. You will see the Vasu Hotel, with the music hall discussed above, on the right after a couple of hundred yards. As you follow the canal around you'll find that there are some bars across the canal as well as on the main road, as for example in the Centre Point shopping plaza. It is a long road with many bars, which continues right around towards the Rajabhat University, probably too far to walk unless very fit, and you might perhaps start by getting a tuk tuk from theTaksilla to near the Vasu, and then another for a second leg.

I don't know the bars Mr Yim mentions but it looks like the White House is fairly near Centre Point across the canal.

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteHouseSk/photos_stream

P.S. And few if any are really expat bars, though they can still be interesting.

Incidentally the old Sarakham red light district (in the 'fang klong' area) is/was pretty near your present hotel, but as far as I can gather is/was of a rather sordid kind based in galvanised sheet huts etc, I don't think there were ever any properly-built bars around there.

Archived