Thaksin Returns As Pm

John K

Bangkok post Sunday May 21, 2006

Thaksin to go back to work

Country needs me before poll, he says

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will take the helm back from his deputy Chidchai Wannasathit next week. ''I have to work. There are several months to go before the general election. If I don't work, the country will be in trouble,'' he said.

Mr Thaksin took indefinite leave after the April 2 snap election, saying he would return when the new government was formed.

He said security authorities would discuss the situation in the deep South tomorrow following the hostage situation in Narathiwat's Rangae district.

Mr Thaksin yesterday accepted a petition from 200 operators of Subaru mini-vans who gathered in front of his residence on Charan Sanitwong road to seek help.

The Subaru operators faced a crackdown after being accused by private bus and minibus operators of providing services on their routes and stealing their income.

Mr Thaksin promised to bring the matter to the attention of the Transport Ministry and the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

Meanwhile, Democrat spokesman Ong-art Klampaiboon yesterday raised concerns about the caretaker government's plan to hasten spending of the 30-billion-baht fund.

He also demanded the caretaker government ensure the budget is not spent in a way that benefits a particular party.

On Friday the caretaker government ordered governors to speed up disbursement of the 30-billion-baht fund to shore up the economy.

The government also revived the war on drugs and offered scholarships, in what was seen as a sign that Mr Thaksin wants to take back the national leadership.

Sondhi Limthongkul, leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, said Mr Thaksin had gone back on his word. A few days after the April 2 general election, Mr Thaksin had gone on television pledging to step aside as prime minister to defuse escalating political tension.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is simply just one of the events that could be predicted. In fact I would bet that Helen Keller could see this coming with her cane. At this point he has in my mind totally discredited himself as his word is worthless. With this action I feel he truly believes that everyone else in government is just a bunch of idiots and only he has the ability to run things. But come to think of it according to the Wikipedia encyclopedia:

Cronyism is partiality to long-standing friends, especially by appointing them to public office without regard for their qualifications.

Dig a little deeper and you will see a lot more. He I am sure will be doing his best to stop the pending extinction of the TRT party by changing laws quickly.... oops, I forgot he fired everyone a few months ago.

Future headlines:

“Anti government rallies start again”

“PM moving his fortune out of reach of asset freezing”

“Government sanctioned police action escalates”

“Court rules against TRT”

“PM Thaksin indited”

“Democratic party HQ bombed again”

“Military intervenes”

“Political chaos hurts Thailand’s tourism”

“New EC seated”

“Election date set for late July”

I've been told by a Thai with very senior connections in the international law enforcement community that the reason Thaksin and his wife are hanging on by their fingertips to power is because they fear being charged with money-laundering (the penalty for which is asset confiscation). Don't forget that for the past five years 10% of every department's budget has been padded with this amount going direct to TRT. Apparently a lot of this money is now in the Cayman Islands.

The Phillippines had Ferdinand and Imelda and we have Thaksin and Pojaman. Some things never change.

Yes I am sure that is very true, and that is only the tip of the iceberg. It would seem right now he is like a duck. Above the water he appears graceful moving about. Below the water he is paddling like crazy.

I think things in the next 2 weeks will be like cluster bomb going off. Bits and pieces of his empire exploding all around by one of the few laws he forgot to change.

I think this is a good time to make some popcorn then sit back and watch.

:D Back by popular demand !?! :D

Work? Country? Election? Need me? :o

Whats the general thought? Sondhi's going to do a fantastic job? He's got the brains to lift economic growth? He's going to put pressure on major markets to accept thailands rice and other important exports? :D

Anyone taken any notice of what Thaksin has actually achieved since being in office and compared that to the last 3 or 4 prime ministers in Thailand? :D

Maybe there'll even be an attempt made to start the mega-projects again, cause lets face it, thailand (bangkok in particular) needs more infrastructure.

I'd like to know from all the people who hate Thaksin out there who they're top 3 candidates to take over his job (from other parties mind you, I'm not going to make it that easy) and why they think these candidates could do a suitable job. :D

Anyone taken any notice of what Thaksin has actually achieved since being in office and compared that to the last 3 or 4 prime ministers in Thailand? :o

Maybe there'll even be an attempt made to start the mega-projects again, cause lets face it, thailand (bangkok in particular) needs more infrastructure.

There are certainly many lines you can use to defend Thaksin, but you've gotta be kidding me if you're trying to defend him on the matter of "infrastructure" development! This is the guy who promised as Deputy PM in Banharn's government in 1995 that he would solve BKK's traffic problems in six months!

The Skytrain was started in 1995 under the Chuan I government. Construction of the subway started in 1999 under Chuan II. So what has Thaksin done in his five years? Well, for one, he delayed the subway project in order to give his cronies a better shot at winning a piece of the contract. Also, don't forget his attempt to VETO the Democrat-let Bangkok city administration's efforts to extend the Skytrain to Thonburi and Samrong, despite widespread public support for the plans. So, aside from that how many tracks been laid for new rail projects during his five years? ZERO! Well, if you want to judge Thaksin on his "achievements" in Bangkok, there you have it!

BTW - The mega-projects have always been a ruse to lure guillible voters. After announcing the projects three years ago, the gov't still hasn't even gotten around to putting together a financing plan. The dirty little secret is that the money for the projects was never there in the first place (esp after squandering 100 billion baht on the oil subsidy)...

Edited by tettyan

Whats the general thought? Sondhi's going to do a fantastic job? He's got the brains to lift economic growth? He's going to put pressure on major markets to accept thailands rice and other important exports? :D

Anyone taken any notice of what Thaksin has actually achieved since being in office and compared that to the last 3 or 4 prime ministers in Thailand? :D

I'd like to know from all the people who hate Thaksin out there who they're top 3 candidates to take over his job (from other parties mind you, I'm not going to make it that easy) and why they think these candidates could do a suitable job. :D

It is not what he did, but how he did it that is the issue.

In a democratic society it takes time to debate and then vote on any change. The fact that he can put changes in place in the amount of time it takes to type the document is not democratic. There is only one type of government that can do that and that too starts with the letter “D.”

When you are in public office your job is to serve the people. The moment you forget that and start serving yourself you cease being a politician and become something else. It would only seem that changes that occurred directly benefitted him. If the people of Thailand benefitted it was simply by chance.

The fact he is so arrogant and simply says everything he does is for him. He is not even trying to hid that anymore, it’s right out in the open. His approach is so predictable, he knows he is in trouble and he will try to use the power of the PM office to put it down as he has done so many times in the past. He must have a set so big you could use them to anchor a cruse ship.

Edited by john Krukowski

Better candidates than Thaksin *in ranked order*:

1) The older woman who scavenges plastic out of the neighborhood rubbish bin.

Why: She's honest and hard-working.

2) The ice-delivery worker who brings the big blocks of ice to a neighborhood store in his motorcycle sidecar.

Why: He contributes postively to Thailand's betterment

3) The local post office clerk.

Why: She's diligent, sincere, and fair.

Edited by sriracha john

Anyone taken any notice of what Thaksin has actually achieved since being in office and compared that to the last 3 or 4 prime ministers in Thailand? :o

There are certainly many lines you can use to defend Thaksin, but you've gotta be kidding me if you're trying to defend him on the matter of "infrastructure" development! This is the guy who promised as Deputy PM in Banharn's government in 1995 that he would solve BKK's traffic problems in six months!

The Skytrain was started in 1995 under the Chuan I government. Construction of the subway started in 1999 under Chuan II. So what has Thaksin done in his five years? Well, for one, he delayed the subway project in order to give his cronies a better shot at winning a piece of the contract. Also, don't forget his attempt to VETO the Democrat-let Bangkok city administration's efforts to extend the Skytrain to Thonburi and Samrong, despite widespread public support for the plans. So, aside from that how many tracks been laid for new rail projects during his five years? ZERO! Well, if you want to judge Thaksin on his "achievements" in Bangkok, there you have it!

BTW - The mega-projects have always been a ruse to lure guillible voters. After announcing the projects three years ago, the gov't still hasn't even gotten around to putting together a financing plan. The dirty little secret is that the money for the projects was never there in the first place (esp after squandering 100 billion baht on the oil subsidy)...

I wasn't defending him on infrastructure development (it was more lack of any better choices), but do you really feel that things are going to progress at all in the current set of circumstances?

Have you seen Lat Phrao junction? Did you see it 18 months ago? That maze of new roads came up very quickly, even by western standards.

You mention tracks not being laid. Once again you seem to have your facts wrong. There was a total rail rehabilitation (It really needed it too) on the southern line (from bangkok to hat yai) that was completed in 2002. How do I know this? Because a close friend of mine was an engineer on the job and was located in chumphon.

BTW - I know some of the contractors that have been "gullible" enough to tender bids on these mega-projects.

Your kidding yourself if you think a a new leader is going to stop corruption in government. Your absolutely kidding yourself. A few cheap cracks about corruption? Thats the best you've got? :D

2) The ice-delivery worker who brings the big blocks of ice to a neighborhood store in his motorcycle sidecar.

Your hilarious. I guess you don't have to worry though right, because you don't have to vote anyway, and I'm sure your probably retired and don't work or pay tax (in this coutry), so I'm sure your helpful little list doesn't add up to great deal. Thanks for the laugh anyway :D

I wasn't defending him on infrastructure development (it was more lack of any better choices), but do you really feel that things are going to progress at all in the current set of circumstances?

Have you seen Lat Phrao junction? Did you see it 18 months ago? That maze of new roads came up very quickly, even by western standards.

You mention tracks not being laid. Once again you seem to have your facts wrong. There was a total rail rehabilitation (It really needed it too) on the southern line (from bangkok to hat yai) that was completed in 2002. How do I know this? Because a close friend of mine was an engineer on the job and was located in chumphon.

BTW - I know some of the contractors that have been "gullible" enough to tender bids on these mega-projects.

Your kidding yourself if you think a a new leader is going to stop corruption in government. Your absolutely kidding yourself. A few cheap cracks about corruption? Thats the best you've got? :D

I'm familiar with the Lat Phrao junction project. That's the initiative of the (Democrat-controlled) Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), not TRT.

The rail rehabilitation projects were initiated under previous governments. But anyways, I was talking about mass transit projects in the capital. And aside from the Airport Link project (in which cracks have already been found in the foundation pillars), everything we have now has been the initiative of previous governments. When you consider that this government's term of office has been longer than any previous elected governments' (which did manage to get projects off the ground despite all the odds), this lack of progress is nothing to proud of.

Which mega-projects are you talking about? The Purple and Orange lines? The government hasn't even delivered the terms of reference yet. They blame the delay on the political crisis, but the truth is that they had postponed the deadline at least twice before Sondhi and the PAD came along - they were behind schedule already.

I wasn't really talking corruption, but if you want, I could go on. My point was on the dismal lack of progress on mass transit projects in Bangkok. There was real progress on this front before TRT came to power. After they came to power, all progress has stopped because of incessent political meddling which has caused constant delays to the plans. Sure, with all their talk TRT always gives the impression that they're doing something, but since you point out we should look for concrete results, I have, and I see very little.

And yes, Thaksin has been front and center in stalling the Skytrain extensions (without him, we'd at least have BTS to Thonburi by now). Don't believe me? Come back after you've read this link first: The Skytrain Extension Controversy (after reading the preface, the page should be read from bottom up, as it's in reverse chronological order).

Edited by tettyan

I like that selection S. John. :D Get change of faces and background to make a better LoS. :D

In with the new and out with the old. :D

Your hilarious. I guess you don't have to worry though right, because you don't have to vote anyway, and I'm sure your probably retired and don't work or pay tax (in this coutry), so I'm sure your helpful little list doesn't add up to great deal. Thanks for the laugh anyway :D

C'mon Josh .... I am guessing YOU don't get a vote here either ....

I don't know if SRJ works or not .... none of my business and a moot point ... the ageist shot at being retired was tacky ... and may be innaccurate but who cares .... chances are SRJ's paid more taxes fees and spent more here than you (or me for that matter). Those of us that ARE invested in Thailand with our homes and cars and lives do have to worry. Pretty simple fact.

The sad fact is that his list is valid for the reasons he stated .... One honest and diligent person even without stellar work references in the way of having been CEO's etc. Can do great things with a country ... I am sure whatever country you came from has a few average Joes that headed up the Gov't at some point.

Do spend a bit of time to research the good things that have been accomplished by Thai governments and see WHICH Gov't actually got it going ... Then spend a few moments looking at who was working in finance in say ... late 96 and 97 ... :o

Edited by jdinasia

C'mon Josh .... I am guessing YOU don't get a vote here either ....

I don't know if SRJ works or not .... none of my business and a moot point ... the ageist shot at being retired was tacky ... and may be innaccurate but who cares .... chances are SRJ's paid more taxes fees and spent more here than you (or me for that matter). Those of us that ARE invested in Thailand with our homes and cars and lives do have to worry. Pretty simple fact.

The sad fact is that his list is valid for the reasons he stated .... One honest and diligent person even without stellar work references in the way of having been CEO's etc. Can do great things with a country ... I am sure whatever country you came from has a few average Joes that headed up the Gov't at some point.

Do spend a bit of time to research the good things that have been accomplished by Thai governments and see WHICH Gov't actually got it going ... Then spend a few moments looking at who was working in finance in say ... late 96 and 97 ... :D

No your right, *I* don't get a vote here either. Sarcastic comments in political threads really don't interest me to be honest. I respect that you have your own opinion, I have been aware of the policital situation here for 10yrs+. I don't believe everything I read in the bangkok post/nation.

Each to their own :o

PM must work or quit: Chat Thai

BANGKOK: -- Chat Thai Party deputy leader Weerasak Khowsurat suggested yesterday that caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra either return to work on the country's economic problems or resign.

Weerasak said the economy appeared to be heading towards a crisis as a result of the government's aggressive stimulus packages over the past five years.

The country faced major economic problems, he said, from rising oil prices, a slowdown in exports due to a stronger baht, rising interest rates, declining consumer purchasing power, and a downturn in the tourism sector.

"If we compare the country to a ship, Thaksin is the captain. He is supposed to be steering the ship but instead he has taken leave.

"Now, the ship is heading for an iceberg and the people cannot wait any longer. If the ship hits the iceberg, Thaksin cannot deny responsibility by saying he can't control the ship," Weerasak said.

"We are not calling for his return, but he must resign or come back to work," he said.

Thaksin's taking leave could not be interpreted as "taking a political break". He had promised on April 4 not to accept the post.

Chat Thai leader Banharn Silapa-archa suggested last week it was time for Thaksin to return to help solve the worsening economic and drug problems.

But former Constitution drafter Kanin Boonsuwan criticised Banharn's suggestion, saying "it was an easy trick" to argue that worsening economic and drug problems warranted his return. "It's not a good reason. When Thaksin was in power, the drug problem was also there," he said.

--The Nation 2006-05-22

Update:

'It's just a grab for power'

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat Party yesterday accused Thaksin Shinawatra of a blatant grab for power, following his announcement he was back on the job.

"The only reason is he wants to maintain the Thaksin regime," Democrat deputy spokesman Satit Pitutecha said at his party headquarters.

"It's clear that strings will be pulled with the ultimate goal of winning the [next] election and retaining power," he said, adding Thaksin wanted to be at the helm in the run-up to the next general election.

Satit said Thaksin would have to be held accountable for unanswered questions which culminated in public pressure that forced him to take "a break from politics".

The ruling Thai Rak Thai Party yesterday defended Thaksin's decision to resume leadership of the government, following his one-month hiatus.

In early April, Thaksin said in a nationally televised address he would only perform certain tasks as prime minister and would not assume the position until a new government was formed.

However, Thai Rak Thai deputy leader Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan said yesterday there were five major issues that needed Thaksin's urgent attention: the economy; soaring oil prices; a "new" narcotics problem; a "worsening" situation in the deep South; and the upcoming celebrations for the 60th anniversary of His Majesty the King's accession to the throne.

She claimed the political situation had changed tremendously from the day Thaksin announced his sabbatical. The next election was now at least five months away and it would do more harm than good for the country to have no leader.

Thai Rak Thai deputy spokesman Sutin Klungsang said Thaksin decided to resume his duties following calls for him to return to resolve the country's problems.

Caretaker Deputy Premier Chidchai Vanasatidya, who has stood in for Thaksin, said the prime minister had to resume office when the need arose.

'It's just a grab for power'

The Democrat Party yesterday accused Thaksin Shinawatra of a blatant grab for power, following his announcement he was back on the job.

"The only reason is he wants to maintain the Thaksin regime," Democrat deputy spokesman Satit Pitutecha said at his party headquarters.

"It's clear that strings will be pulled with the ultimate goal of winning the [next] election and retaining power," he said, adding Thaksin wanted to be at the helm in the run-up to the next general election.

Satit said Thaksin would have to be held accountable for unanswered questions which culminated in public pressure that forced him to take "a break from politics".

The ruling Thai Rak Thai Party yesterday defended Thaksin's decision to resume leadership of the government, following his one-month hiatus.

In early April, Thaksin said in a nationally televised address he would only perform certain tasks as prime minister and would not assume the position until a new government was formed.

However, Thai Rak Thai deputy leader Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan said yesterday there were five major issues that needed Thaksin's urgent attention: the economy; soaring oil prices; a "new" narcotics problem; a "worsening" situation in the deep South; and the upcoming celebrations for the 60th anniversary of His Majesty the King's accession to the throne.

She claimed the political situation had changed tremendously from the day Thaksin announced his sabbatical. The next election was now at least five months away and it would do more harm than good for the country to have no leader.

Thai Rak Thai deputy spokesman Sutin Klungsang said Thaksin decided to resume his duties following calls for him to return to resolve the country's problems.

Caretaker Deputy Premier Chidchai Vanasatidya, who has stood in for Thaksin, said the prime minister had to resume office when the need arose.

--The Nation 2006-05-22

I for one can’t help but wonder....

The facts of history below are a bit confusing.

Thaksin announced he would step down if the King asked him to.

Thaksin gets summoned by the King in Early April.

Hours later Thaksin steps down. ( one can assume the topic of the conversation with the King)

Now Thaksin is back.

So what does this mean? It almost suggests that Thaksin respects nobody but himself, his word is meaningless, and he has his own set of rules.

If you quit, don’t you need to get rehired by someone before you can come back to work? In this case is it not the people of Thailand?

On the other hand his actions are consistent with a trapped animal.

Edited by john Krukowski

Touting the TRT's government mega-projects, are we??? :D

:o

See below:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69911&hl=

(george @ 2006-05-22 11:56:55)

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government plans to initally inject a budget of at least 40-to-50 billion baht to support the implementation of megaprojects this year, which will help stimulate the country's economic activities and growth, Deputy Finance Minister Varathep Ratanakorn said. That is a far cry from the original plan to spend 1.7 trillion baht, beginning this year.

(cclub75 @ 2006-05-22 12:35:14)

Indeed, from 1700 to 50 billion... it shows 2 things :

-how broke is the gvt

-how ridiculous were all the previous "calculations" and grandioses estimations

Megaprojects are a pure "vaporware".

Thaksin flew to Hua Him again last week, he resumed SOME of PM's duties after that. We can't speculate about the content of that meeting.

Another, open to discussion reason, is that he's afarid of that lawsuit - taking an extended leave while stilll drawing his salary and benefits.

He's got a chance now to rehabilitate himself in people's eyes, though I don't see him addressing rising cosl of living, oil prices, interest rates, rising baht etc. It's drugs now, for some reason, and the South.

It's possible that TOR for mega-projects will be completed and presented to bidders before the next elections, but the South will keep burning. It's back on front pages again and it doesn't look goo. Didn't Thaksin himself tied his political life to progress in the South sime time ago?

Apparently the meeting was for the Kings 60th celebration. However I forgot the source of that information. If it was Thaksin who said it then it could be anything. Right now I would sooner believe a seasoned bar girl saying she was a virgin before believing anything Thaksin said.

ACM Kongsak agrees with the comeback of Dr.thaksin

The Interior Minister, Air Chief Marshal Kongsak Wanthana (คงศักดิ์ วันทนา), agrees with the possible comeback of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and requests the Opposition to show the evidence of Dr. Thaksin's mismanagement allegation.

He said that Dr. Thaksin’s comeback does not break his word and his decision is deemed appropriate at this moment as there is still no clear sign of the new poll date. He stated that if Thailand still faces with a long period of uncertainty, troubles can occur.

He further said that Dr. Thaksin’s comeback is a good thing as he would be able to complete the unfinished projects and plans.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 May 2006

Md. Surapong: Dr. Thaksin can resume his post as the situation has changed

The Government Spokesperson, Md. Surapong Suebwonglee (สุรพงษ์ สืบวงศ์ลี), said that Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin can resume his position because the political situation in Thailand has now changed, while believing that the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) will understand the situation as well.

Referring Dr. Thaksin’s continuation of his duty, Md. Surapong said that situations in the country including social affairs, economy, and politics have now changed. He said that the changes have made a huge impact on people’s living condition, and therefore, Dr. Thaksin should comeback to solve the social problems.

He also believes that the PAD will understand that Thailand now needs a leader to find national solutions.

As for the rumors about the Finland Declaration, Md. Surapong said that according to the inspection, the news was created by ill-intentioned people.

Thaksin’s return ‘good’ for the economy

Opposition parties yesterday admitted the economy had suffered with Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra out of the picture and his return to work would help get the country back on track.

Both the Democrat and Chat Thai parties said Thaksin’s decision to end his “break” and come back to undertake key duties while a new government is formed was necessary as his caretaker administration was unable to perform without him.

“Thaksin’s return is a good thing for the economy because if there is someone steering the ship it is much better for the country,” Korn Chatikavanij, pictured, Democrat party deputy secretary-general, told a news conference. “I believe an economy under a caretaker government cannot be as good as a real one.”

Stabilizing the economy, which has suffered as a result of political turmoil and inconclusive elections, is likely to be the top of Thaksin’s task list.

Analysts say delays in the US$44-billion megaprojects, unsigned Free Trade Agreements and the prospect of five months without a real government has affected Thailand’s competitiveness, and investors may head elsewhere.

Veerasak Kowsurat, deputy leader of the Chat Thai party, said five years of Thaksin’s CEO-style leadership meant the caretaker government needed his guidance, and it was his duty to help get the economy back on track.

“The reason Thaksin should come back is because the Cabinet’s CEO management style,” he said. “Only the prime minister has the authority. Since we have these economic problems, Thaksin has to show some responsibility.”

Meanwhile, Democrat party spokesman Ong-art Klampaibul reiterated calls for the remaining election commissioners to quit, saying the key to political stability was in their hands. “They are refusing to quit because someone powerful has been pulling their strings,” he said. “I urge the EC to accept His Majesty the King’s request and the advice of the three courts and bring peace back to this country.”

Source: ThaiDay - 22 May 2006

Mr. Jatuporn insisted the Finland declaration is not based on facts

The Deputy Spokesperson of the Thai Rak Thai Party, Mr. Jatuporn Prompan (จตุพร พรหมพันธุ์), insisted that the Finland Declaration is not based on facts and it has never appeared in the Thai Rak Thai Party’s policies.

In response to the rumor about the Finland Declaration, he said that the news is untrue and is created to defame the party’s reputation. According to the inspection, he said that the party has never issued or even drafted the declaration as the news has alleged. He added that the Thai Rak Thai Party leading members and executives never traveled to Finland in 1999.

Besides, the party is preparing to file a lawsuit against the people who started such rumor. The group of people, who will be filed a lawsuit against, include acting Bangkok Senator Sophon Supapong (โสภณ สุภาพงศ์), PAD’s core member Sondhi Limthongkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล), and Mr. Kamnoon Sittisman (คำนูญ สิทธิสมาน), a columnist of the Manager Newspaper.

Mr. Jatuporn : The return of Dr. Thaksin is not because TRT party is disunited

Deputy Spokesperson of the Thai Rak Thai Party, Mr. Jatuporn Prompan (จตุพร พรหมพันธุ์) insisted that the return of Thai Rak Thai party leader Thaksin Shinawatra is not because party has no leader or the party is disunited as the news reported.

Mr. Jatuporn said Dr. Thaksin will return as to solve the nation’s problems regarding the unrest situation in Deep South, economy and narcotics.

Mr. Jatuporn indicated that TRT has no idea that the election would be prolonged and that the new government would be established soon. However, he said many sides have requested TRT leader to return to work as to solve various issues as the date for the new election has not been designated yet.

I could say a lot more but this is only a snapshot in time. Tomorrow’s news will bring new spices for this stew.

On the new news clippings you just added it adds support to the fact he seated unqualified people. If they can’t run things without Thaksin then they should not be there.

As in comparison, George Bush is an idiot surrounded by smart people. In this case it appears to be to opposite. I must admit image is everything in Thailand, and the image is that Thaksin is the only one who is not an idiot. Oh well a few more faces being stepped on again by him.

Have we come full circle yet?

Touting the TRT's government mega-projects, are we??? :D

:o

See below:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69911&hl=

(george @ 2006-05-22 11:56:55)

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government plans to initally inject a budget of at least 40-to-50 billion baht to support the implementation of megaprojects this year, which will help stimulate the country's economic activities and growth, Deputy Finance Minister Varathep Ratanakorn said. That is a far cry from the original plan to spend 1.7 trillion baht, beginning this year.

(cclub75 @ 2006-05-22 12:35:14)

Indeed, from 1700 to 50 billion... it shows 2 things :

-how broke is the gvt

-how ridiculous were all the previous "calculations" and grandioses estimations

Megaprojects are a pure "vaporware".

I didn't "tout" anything. :D

I stated facts. Fact is, money will flow out of thailand if there is no PM for the next 5 months. Fact is, Thailand has enough economical issues as it is. Do you watch the stock market? Have you seen oil prices? Did you notice the huge spike in world commodities prices? Platinum came off record highs last week, silver came very close, and gold is expected to as well break its all time high of $875/oz before the end of the year. The strong thai baht? Highest levels in 4yrs?? Do you understand what factors like these do to 3rd world countries who are in fact wanting to spend US$44BN on "mega-projects". Do you know that Iron Ore contracts for this year have been secured at a 19% increase on last year? Do you understand what effect that would have on such a large scale construction? Snap elections and political turmoil. Do you actually understand the workings of these things? Please take a moment to think before you post again, show me you actually think.