Thaksin Returns As Pm

John K

A political activist demands Sak Techacharn resign as Constitution Court judge

The Isan Liberation Group demands the resignation of Constitution Court judge Sak Techacharn (ศักดิ์ เตชาชาญ), alleging he is unqualified for the post.

Thaikorn Polsuwan (ไทกร พลสุวรรณ), a group coordinator, said Mr. Sak allegedly had bought two plots of land covering about nine rai in Chiang Mai’s Doi Sa Ket (ดอยสะเก็ด) district in 1983. Mr. Sak later sought Nor Sor 3 Kor (นส3ก) land documents for the two plots which allegedly happed to have five rai more, Mr. Thaikorn said.

He said Mr. Sak then faced a lawsuit and the Supreme Court finally invalidated that Nor Sor 3 Kor paper after finding that it was issued for public land which was a criminal offence.

Mr. Thaikorn said he had the court’s verdict as proof. He questioned why the senate panel which checked Mr. Sak’s background did not disqualify him in the first place. He said the judge should resign to show responsibility.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 July 2006

so what group does he appear to be in? 1, 2, 3, or 4?

Number One is what I have heard

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chownah, sorry about your lost wordpad file. It's nearly impossible to find anything in a dozen of 40 page long threads about Thai politics.

It's easy to get lost in the space of just two pages. Here's an example:

Ando wrote: "The good thing about democracy is that the power groups behind the parties only get to control the government if the majority of people want them to."

I countered that Thailand is not a real democracy, to which you replied:

"I think that Thailand is a democracy....but it is not a perfect one. I don't think there is any country in the world that meets your strict criteria for being considerd a democracy."

While there's no argument against your statement in general, in context of Ando's point, Thailand is not a democracy, at least not in the way Ando described democracy.

I brought this old stuff up because I saw something else in Ando's posts today:

"the one thing Thaksin has done is to show country folk that they can now have a say in how the country is governed and therefore how they are treated by those in power."

I disagree - under Thaksin people do not have a say in how the country is governed. All they can do is to enthusiastically repeat what he tells them. They are not allowed to disagree, and they certainly can't show their disagreement in public.

It's like a communist country - overwhelming support, including impressive election wins, is achieved through complete control over political life and stamping out all dissent.

Another thing that puzzles me, from Lukamar: "That could well be true but then someone has to balance the Anti_Thaksin viewpoint..."

Does that mean that Lukamar would post against all reason and his own consciense just to counteract anti-Thaksin messages? Isn't it what is called "trolling"? Arguing just for the sake of it? For the sake of "balanced view"? If you don't believe in what you write yourself and have ulterior motives to provoke a debate. That really is a waste of people's time. We've got quite a few threads closed here already.

Without analyzing each post I can say that there are four basic groups of people. This analysis go beyond this thread and does not include undecided. I wont analyze any comments posted here in that each person is entitled to their own views and opinions.

Group 1 Pro Thaksin:

This group only looks at only the short term personal gains from Thaksin.

Group 2 Anti Thaksin:

This group sees the price for the short term personal gains as too high because they are more future looking and not short term. They may have been pro Thaksin at one time.

Group 3 Anti Thaksin:

This group never liked Thaksin from the beginning and would have never voted for him.

Group 4 Anti Thaksin:

This group stands to personally benefit short or long term from the removal of Thaksin.

John, your groupings are a bit biased against the PM, perhaps showing how you really feel. Assuredly, there are people who read TV, but don't send in posts who are Pro-Thaksin and see long term benefits from his grassroot economic programs, elimination of local godfathers, war on drugs, FTA's, privatizations, mega projects, etc. After all, this is a man whose TRT party received over half of the eligible votes during the past two national elections, albeit the April 2nd election having since been negated.

For me, I do know Dr. Thaksin having met him and done business with him prior to his entering politics. I thought his entrance into politics would be positive, as he has good business acumen and thoroughly understands Thai systems. However, while he has done some good, he didn't surround himself with the people he said he would and ulitmately, power has corrupted. That is my view, but we must acknowledge that there are still many outside Bangkok who continue to support him based on perceived long term benefits both personally and for the country.

Documents face delay, says OAG

The Office of the Attorney General (OAG) says it will be unable to submit documents calling for the dissolution of five political parties to the Constitutional Court today as scheduled.

In a statement released yesterday, the OAG said it had insufficient time to make 100,000 photocopies of 20 sets of documents for the writs against the five parties accused of wrongdoing in the run-up to the nullified April 2 elections.

It said it hoped to submit all the documents to the court by Wednesday.

“The Office of the Attorney General deems it necessary to postpone the date of the submission of documents to the Constitutional Court from July 3 to no later than July 5,” the OAG said.

Poramate Intharacho, a deputy spokesman for the OAG, said a breakdown in photocopiers also meant the office had been unable to submit its report to the five parties.

The ruling Thai Rak Thai party is accused of paying small parties to contest the election to make the polls seem legitimate after a boycott by the main opposition parties.

The OAG also says the Democrat party’s refusal to field candidates in the polls was illegal and undemocratic.

The election result was nullified after courts ruled the positioning of the voting booths had made the polls unconstitutional.

The other parties facing dissolution are the Prachathipatai Kaona, Patana Chat Thai and Pandin Thai parties.

Analysts say the court’s ruling will show how independent Thailand’s judicial institutions are, but warn of greater political uncertainty if the country’s main parties are disbanded.

Source: ThaiDay - 3 July 2006

It wasn’t Gen Prem, declares Bowornsak

Former Cabinet secretary-general Bowornsak Uwanno yesterday insisted his decision to quit politics was in no way influenced by Privy Council President Gen Prem Tinsulanonda.

Bowornsak, who caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said was persuaded to resign from the Cabinet by “a charismatic individual,” said Gen Prem had nothing to do with his decision and Thaksin had created a stir by making the comments.

“I can assure people that General Prem never asked me to resign,” Bowornsak said by telephone from China yesterday. “I have met with General Prem but only after I had submitted my resignation.”

Bowornsak’s denial came amid speculation among opposition MPs, commentators and outgoing senators that the unnamed individual whom Thaksin claims is plotting his downfall is Gen Prem, a former prime minister and His Majesty the King’s most senior advisor. Bowornsak said he recently visited Gen Prem because it was customary practice to meet with a respected figure before being ordained as a Buddhist monk.

On Friday, 11 outgoing senators co-signed a letter calling on Thaksin to name the man he claimed was trying to overthrow him by encouraging royal intervention in politics.

An anti-Thaksin alliance led by media firebrand Sondhi Limthongkul yesterday said it would file a complaint with the police about Thaksin’s remarks, even though Gen Prem’s name was not mentioned.

Bowornsak, a legal expert who says he resigned to take up an academic position at a Bangkok university, said Thaksin had caused a misunderstanding and had no reason to assume the elder statesman was involved.

“I have never been asked by anyone to resign,” he said. “I have no idea why the prime minister said this. These comments have created a misunderstanding, especially if he meant General Prem.”

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, a former law lecturer, on June 22 joined Bowornsak in submitting his resignation from the Cabinet. Wissanu would not reveal why he resigned or whether he had been influenced by Bowornsak’s resignation.

Thaksin yesterday refused to bow to mounting pressure calling for him to name the individual he accuses of trying to mastermind his downfall.

Speaking after a royal merit-making ceremony, Thaksin said he would no longer discuss the issue and refused to say if the “charismatic individual” was Gen Prem.

“This is reconciliation time so I will no longer talk about it,” he told reporters.

Thai Rak Thai Deputy Spokesman Phimuk Simaroj yesterday called on all parties to trust Thaksin’s judgment and insisted the premier was referring to a principal or a general concept rather than a particular person. “The prime minister will explain this later,” he said. “The so called charismatic individual is not a reference to anyone in particular.”

In his radio address Saturday, Thaksin said the October 15 elections may have to be postponed because of recent political events.

A delay has been widely expected following the decision by the Attorney General’s Office to recommend the TRT and Democrat parties, along with three fringe parties, be dissolved for violating electoral laws in the April 2 polls. Without elaborating, he said: “Something has happened in politics that may cause us to wait longer.”

Thaksin in April announced he would step down as prime minister, despite winning a majority in elections he called to counter street protests demanding his resignation. The election was nullified after top courts ruled it was unconstitutional, and Thaksin remains at the helm in a caretaker role until a new election takes place.

Source: ThaiDay - 3 July 2006

Another thing that puzzles me, from Lukamar: "That could well be true but then someone has to balance the Anti_Thaksin viewpoint..."

Don't hurt yourself thinking about ulterior motives in what I said, there are none. Your views are so radically anti-Thaksin that you are becoming obsessed with picking out any small point from any poster that does not mesh with your tunnel-visioned view of the way you feel we should all think on the subject of the PM.

As for trolling for a response - What are you doing in your post if not trolling? Statements like you just made, "Lukamar would post against all reason and his own conscience just to counteract anti-Thaksin messages?" are more likely to have this thread closed as they are pointedly inflammatory, something that my statement definitely was not.

Old Man River re: Post #1173

let me clarify a few things. The groups are just a snapshot of today. It does not reflect what may have been in the past. Certainly he may have done some things in the past. But right now everything he does evolves around manipulating things to stay in office. Part of that is delving out some candy here and there for the group 1 people. :o

From post #1151 on Thaksin’s radio program

Among those who prefer the radio programme, 66.9 per cent want the premier to give a clear-cut explanation on the alleged corruption cases, 60.5 per cent need a concrete solution out of current political crisis from Mr Thaksin, and another 59.7 prefer an answer over major dubious issues concerning the government.

The ones that prefer the show want to know about the dirt and solid action plan. I doubt Thaksin will talk about the dirt in any way as whenever he opens his mouth lately he stuffs his foot in further. :D He wont be able to make a solid action plan until the other issues are resolved So I guess they will have a very long wait for that. In short if he does not talk about it they will change from pro to con rather quickly I would imagine.

Edited by john Krukowski

The ones that prefer the show want to know about the dirt and solid action plan. I doubt Thaksin will talk about the dirt in any way as whenever he opens his mouth lately he stuffs his foot in further. :o He wont be able to make a solid action plan until the other issues are resolved So I guess they will have a very long wait for that. In short if he does not talk about it they will change from pro to con rather quickly I would imagine.

Agreed, probably all 1,231 respondents from Bangkok and adjacent areas would change their minds. What we don't know is what the majority of Thailand thinks.

Constitution Defending Club chairman Chucheep Cheewasuk said "people power" had waned after the courts nullified the April 2 election.

He claimed the courts had been doing everything possible to prevent a general election, including calling election commissioners in for questioning.

"The judges claimed they complied with His Majesty the King's wishes. But, the court verdicts are undermining democracy, so we must reject those court verdicts. No court has the right to dissolve political parties because the sovereign power belongs to the people. If the Constitution Court resolves to dissolve political parties, we must call for the court's dissolution also,'' he said.

How's that for contempt of court and overthrowing democratic regime?

As I said earlier - Thaksin will pitch people against the law, in this case Consititution Court, and the Constitution itself - when they deny the court the power to dissolve political parties.

I hope someone will stop them before they try to put their words in actions.

Lukamar, you said it plain and clear - "someone has to balance Anti_Thaksin viewpoint". Is that your mission statement?

As for trolling - thanks for your frank assessment on my posting history. Unfortunately you didn't add anything to the topic itself or defend any particular point against my "anti-Thaksin attacks". Just plain old poster bashing.

If you think I unfairly pick up on small pro-thaksin points, discuss it, prove that it's unfair don't just post vitriolics about how obsessed I am.

Constitution Defending Club chairman Chucheep Cheewasuk said "people power" had waned after the courts nullified the April 2 election.

He claimed the courts had been doing everything possible to prevent a general election, including calling election commissioners in for questioning.

"The judges claimed they complied with His Majesty the King's wishes. But, the court verdicts are undermining democracy, so we must reject those court verdicts. No court has the right to dissolve political parties because the sovereign power belongs to the people. If the Constitution Court resolves to dissolve political parties, we must call for the court's dissolution also,'' he said.

How's that for contempt of court and overthrowing democratic regime?

As I said earlier - Thaksin will pitch people against the law, in this case Consititution Court, and the Constitution itself - when they deny the court the power to dissolve political parties.

I hope someone will stop them before they try to put their words in actions.

Lukamar, you said it plain and clear - "someone has to balance Anti_Thaksin viewpoint". Is that your mission statement?

As for trolling - thanks for your frank assessment on my posting history. Unfortunately you didn't add anything to the topic itself or defend any particular point against my "anti-Thaksin attacks". Just plain old poster bashing.

If you think I unfairly pick up on small pro-thaksin points, discuss it, prove that it's unfair don't just post vitriolics about how obsessed I am.

A spot on piece of analysis. This is especially frightening when we consider that the courts were tasked with solving the problems and now they are being openly attacked before they have evn been handed the major case. Then to consider Mr. Thaksin's recent words to the civil servants puts us in a very interesting situation.

This thread has become somewhat unwieldy and disjointed with all the developments over the past 6 weeks or so when this thread first started.

To read about and discuss the latest in the Thai political scene, please see this thread.

/Closed.