His Majesty as a child.....but the dates do not match.

My great aunt Margaret Clarke was governess to the royal prince and princess. But was it His Majesty or his predecessor? My mother has some photos (which she is sending me copies of soon) of Miss Clark(e) with "The young Prince and Princess, Berlin, 1917". That date can't be right. They were interned during the outbreak of WW1. Or is the date Mum told me wrong, and it was WW2 and 1937?

? Sorry to disagree, but the dates do not fit at all. And it is irrelevant; Margaret Clarke (my great aunt) WAS governess to some royal children. They WERE in Germany early 20th century. I am trying to establish which children she was taking care of. Considering His Majesty's age now, I am finding conflicts in what I have been told regarding the photos that my mum holds.

I will post the photos as soon as I get them.

OK. If, as you are so certain it was 1917 it could not have been the present King as he was born in the US in 1927.

If it was 1937 He would have been 14 and in Switzerland.

You gave rather brief facts in your original post and I made an effort to help you by trying to clarify there had been a mistake and the dates were wrong and applied to the lady I posted about.

Anyhow any further help is irelevant.

OK. If, as you are so certain it was 1917 it could not have been the present King as he was born in the US in 1927.

You gave rather brief facts in your original post and I made an effort to help you by trying to clarify there had been a mistake and the dates were wrong and applied to the lady I posted about.

Sorry if I sounded brusque, I didn't mean to. The obituary you found was of a woman born 1942.

I should have mentioned, too, that Miss Clarke was Australian.

So he would have been 10 in 1937. Was he in Switzerland at age 10 or in 1937?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, the photo has arrived. It is a photo of Ms Clark with the daughter of H H Prince Traidos Prabadh, M.R. Pantip Paribatra (now Princess Chumbhot of Nagor Svarga). Berlin 1913.

I'm trying now to find the relationship of H H Traidos to the Royal Household.

So, a bit of misinformation to start with, but getting closer to the truth.

Edited by Seastallion

Thanks. The BKK Post article is one I haven't seen and tells me that the Prince in the photo is the grandson of HRH King Chulalongkorn. Good info.

• 6 months later...

So he would have been 10 in 1937. Was he in Switzerland at age 10 or in 1937?

I have seen photos of him ice skating as a 9 year old boy...I will look for the link but I probably don't have it anymore.

Not sure where it was though.

Edited by rhythmworx

Your dates seem way off. I do think that you are talking about one of the cousins of our current king. The father of the princess you mentioned was US Ambassodor 1912-1913.

The princess was born in 1931 though.

What I can gather is that they are grandchildren from King Rama 5 but not children of any King.