Honda Amaze vs Mitsubishi Attrage Auto vs Manual

chris2004

Going to buy a car in the next few weeks and with a budget of @ 500,000 i've decided between the Amaze or the Attrage.

The Amaze 1.2 V auto is 521,000 and Mitsubishi have offered the 1.2 GLS CVT for 500,000. The Mitsubishi has the better spec and is cheaper but the Honda is a Honda and has the better 4 cylinder engine with 90 bhp vs 79 bhp, Difficult choice. Anyone had experience of either car, which one might be better.

Also i'm not sure about getting an auto. I've always used manual gearboxes so why pay an extra 40,000 baht for an auto. They give less power and use more fuel. But in Thailand is it expected that a car has an auto. If i wish to sell later would the auto be more desirable.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Keep in mind:

- Honda has a 5-10% higher resale value.

- An auto box has a higher resale value.

- A CVT (Continu Variable Transmission) is an auto box, less loss, although nowadays all auto boxes are mostly controlled by computer.

- Why drive a manual transmission car in Thai traffic if you can drive an automatic.

In your choice, there is not to make that choice, both are automatic transmissions.

If you live in Bangkok ( maybe Pattayasmile.png ) buy an auto, if you live up country buy a manual.

What is better spec about the Mitsu?

Have you driven both? Some CVT's are just that. Others although mechanically CVT have fixed shift points so are more like a regular 5 speed auto.

Check for the spare tire before you leave the dealership. On some Eco cars it is an option!

Need a tie breaker? Buy from the nearest dealership.

Edited by VocalNeal

A CVT, as installed in all cars are real CVT's.

An auto shifter, controlled by computer, is NOT a CVT, it is a semi-auto box where the computer decides when to shift, how to use the clutch etc.

The Mitsubishi is a real CVT

And like I said before, nowadays the computer controllen auto boxes are maybe a bit more expensive to buy.

But in use a 6-speed auto with overdirive runs as frugal as a manual box,

Simply because a computer shifts better as a human being.

Edited by hansnl

A CVT, as installed in all cars are real CVT's.

Sadly pedantry does come naturally to me so when you say all cars, I beg to differ.

The so called CVT installed in a Mitsubishi Lancer whilst mechanically CVT, that is using two pulleys and a steel belt, is in practise a six speed auto (INVECS-III CVT automatic 6-speed MRI?? With Sport Mode) with shifts being controlled by a clever box. So it does not have constantly variable ratios.

Whilst the Attrage maybe fully CVT as maybe the Attrage, not ALL "CVT's", that is to say belt and pulley transmissions, installed in cars are true CVT.

I haven't driven either Amaze or Attrage which is why I suggested the OP drive both. If he in fact decides to go "auto"

If you live in Bangkok ( maybe Pattayasmile.png ) buy an auto, if you live up country buy a manual.

What is better spec about the Mitsu?

Have you driven both? Some CVT's are just that. Others although mechanically CVT have fixed shift points so are more like a regular 5 speed auto.

Check for the spare tire before you leave the dealership. On some Eco cars it is an option!

Need a tie breaker? Buy from the nearest dealership.

I was Amazed (pardon the pun) at the level of spec on the Mitsubishi GLS, and it's not even top of the range. Compared to the Honda it has keyless entry, push button engine start, full automatic a/c, front fog lights, bigger boot, bigger tyres (and nicer alloys), signal indicator on the side mirrors, which move electronically. Plus an LCD screen on the dashboard. Plus a CD player (no the Honda doesn't have one).

I considered the Yaris but for a similar spec it's MUCH more expensive than the Mitsubishi.

Edited by chris2004

Well Honda made the decision easy for me. I went looking to order an Amaze. They wouldn't give me a discount. They wouldn't give me free insurance. They wouldn't give me any freebies. They wouldn't even let me try a test car. I went to Mitsubishi. They gave me a 30,000 baht discount, free insurance, a dozen freebies and had a test car available. Order went to Mitsubishi. I am happy with new car within a week.