Who can telll me all they know about Chanthaburi?

kanela

Hi Everyone!!! I have been consolidating all of my research on Thailand on Chiang Mai however, Chanthaburi is our backup city. It is time I start learning what it is like living in Chanthaburi. I am interested in things like: cost of living, availability of apartments/houses to rent, what are the local people like, food choices, quantity of expats in the area, is any English spoken and of course anything else anyone can think of to add.

Cost of living, we are back to how long is a piece of string?

availability of apartments/houses to rent, they exist, without the help of a local you will have a job to find them if you dont at least speak Thai. We rent a house there for 4,000 baht per month.

what are the local people like conservative but very friendly once they get to know you.

food choices limited.

quantity of expats in the area hardly see any.

is any English spoken little.

and of course anything else anyone can think of to add. best city/province in Thailand, if you want a farang lifestyle this place aint for you.

You say, Chanthaburi is our backup city.

Are you talking about a Thai or farang parner?

If Thai it will make things easier, one thing I have learned about Thais, they are like homing pidgeons, they all want to go back to their village where they fit it and know their place on the totem pole of local society.

None of my business, if you are thinking of bringing a BG to this area the locals will smell her a mile away and you will be treated accordingly.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

Cost of living, we are back to how long is a piece of string?

availability of apartments/houses to rent, they exist, without the help of a local you will have a job to find them if you dont at least speak Thai. We rent a house there for 4,000 baht per month.

what are the local people like conservative but very friendly once they get to know you.

food choices limited.

quantity of expats in the area hardly see any.

is any English spoken little.

and of course anything else anyone can think of to add. best city/province in Thailand, if you want a farang lifestyle this place aint for you.

You say, Chanthaburi is our backup city.

Are you talking about a Thai or farang parner?

If Thai it will make things easier, one thing I have learned about Thais, they are like homing pidgeons, they all want to go back to their village where they fit it and know their place on the totem pole of local society.

None of my business, if you are thinking of bringing a BG to this area the locals will smell her a mile away and you will be treated accordingly.

Great info, but pardon my ignorance what is a BG?

I work between Koh Chang and Chanthaburi, and spend a lot of time there most weeks.

Price wise, rentals are pretty good value, some nice properties around to rent for 15k. Usual places for eating, and there are Makeover, Tesco, Big C and Robnson in the main town. Outside of the city, some nice beaches and seafood resteraunts.

There are a few expats around, and if course the gem traders in the gem market.

A great golf course in Soi Dao and easy to get to Samet and Koh Chang.

Little English is spoken there, but the locals are pleasant and it is a more affluent province than most.

• Like 1

Now that is actually good useful information and more in line with what I an looking for! I greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Now that is actually good useful information and more in line with what I an looking for! I greatly appreciate it!

I am not trying to be funny here, but please provide some basic info of what you want.

You ask about Chan but give no details of who you and your partner are, all I see on you pic is some legs.

What exactly is it you want to know, who exactly are you and your partner, whats your budget, can you or your partner read and speak Thai?

Do you need access to hospitals, will you be doing visa runs, can you eat peasant Thai food, have you ever been here, if so what provinces have you visited and why didnt they suit?

Are you a sportsperson, do you play golf, do you want watersports, do you have a Thai drivers license?

Will you be seeking employment here, are you a TEFLr?

Whats your budget for two people per month?

Are you getting this?

There are people on here who live and work in this great part of Thailand, (be aware its not for everyone), who can answer your questions, do you know what questions to ask?

If not just say so and ask, fire away, no-one will bite.

• Like 1

Agreed RG, more specific questions and there are a few of us that know the area to I've useful info.

Bloody cold over here on Koh Chang, what's Chan like as I am back there at the weekend?

Mr T, I live on the road to Wat Kao Sukim, its bloody freezing.

Agreed RG, more specific questions and there are a few of us that know the area to I've useful info.

Bloody cold over here on Koh Chang, what's Chan like as I am back there at the weekend?

Think will give golf a miss this week then.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am not trying to be funny here, but please provide some basic info of what you want.

You ask about Chan but give no details of who you and your partner are, all I see on you pic is some legs.

What exactly is it you want to know, who exactly are you and your partner, whats your budget, can you or your partner read and speak Thai?

Do you need access to hospitals, will you be doing visa runs, can you eat peasant Thai food, have you ever been here, if so what provinces have you visited and why didnt they suit?

Are you a sportsperson, do you play golf, do you want watersports, do you have a Thai drivers license?

Are you getting this?

There are people on here who live and work in this great part of Thailand, (be aware its not for everyone), who can answer your questions, do you know what questions to ask?

1. OK fair questions. My husband and I are from the U.S. currently living in Ecuador.

2. Our budget is about $1500-$1600 per month.

3. I have been struggling with Thai as I have memory issues, but I have learned the

numbers and the consonants. I can't seem to remember the vowels!!! I have started

trying to read the maanii books. Not doing so great cause of the vowels, markings &

tones. But I have been trying.

4. I don't think we would need immediate access to hospitals, but one never knows about

emergencies.

5. Hoping to not have to do the whole visa run thing. We will be applying for multi entry non-

imm O-A for my husband and non-imm O for me.

6. Never been there before. We like adventure and travel.

7. Love Thai food however we have obviously have never tried the peasant food as we

have never been there.

8. We like to kayak and I like being in the water, but it is not necessary to be right on the

water as we also like the mountains and hiking.

9. Not seeking employment and don't know what a teflr is?

10. Yes thank you I am getting this. lol

We chose Chiang Mai as our first place due to the following reasons:

1. Because it is a touristy place English would be more widespread.

2. It has all the modern conviences

3. The food looks phenomenal

4. We thought it would be a good first stop as far as acclimating ourselves to Thailand.

5. We will want to travel and see Thailand and the surrounding countries.

The negatives to Chiang Mai:

1. are we usually like to be on the outskirts of a big city in a smaller town with some

conviences. (good food, large grocery stores)

2. I have not seen the local apartments/houses but I would like a more American style place. It doesn't have to be fancy, but I would be looking for a fairly nice fully furnished

apt/house.

3. We would not be able to stay in Chiang Mai during the burning season.

Neither myself nor my husband have any interest in any whores, bar girls or anything remotely like that. It is rather disheartening that so many people on this forum automatically jump to that conclusion!! You all make it sound like that is all there is to Thailand.

Now that you know the answers I guess I could use help with the questions.

Edited by kanela

50k a month is not something id want to be living on with no other income sources.However it can be done. Your accom is going to be the largest outgoing. Make sure you have good health insurance. Ill think of mire things but its Friday night and I am busy trolling in the news forum.

Think will give golf a miss this week then.

Take it you are talking about Highland in Soi Dao?

I usually play during the week, cheaper.(being the CC I am).

Yes its still bloody freezing here, the mrs had a fire going earlier, she has just gone to bed, looking like Ena Sharples, no dook dook tonight.

Are you getting this?

1. OK fair questions. My husband and I are from the U.S. currently living in Ecuador.

3. I have been struggling with Thai as I have memory issues, but I have learned the

numbers and the consonants. I can't seem to remember the vowels!!! I have started

trying to read the maanii books. Not doing so great cause of the vowels, markings &

4. I don't think we would need immediate access to hospitals, but one never knows about

emergencies.

5. Hoping to not have to do the whole visa run thing. We will be applying for multi entry non-

7. Love Thai food however we have obviously have never tried the peasant food as we

have never been there.

8. We like to kayak and I like being in the water, but it is not necessary to be right on the

4. We thought it would be a good first stop as far as acclimating ourselves to Thailand.

1. are we usually like to be on the outskirts of a big city in a smaller town with some

2. I have not seen the local apartments/houses but I would like a more American style place. It doesn't have to be fancy, but I would be looking for a fairly nice fully furnished

apt/house.

Neither myself nor my husband have any interest in any whores, bar girls or anything remotely like that. It is rather disheartening that so many people on this forum automatically jump to that conclusion!! You all make it sound like that is all there is to Thailand.

try not to get to dis-heartned by some of the posters, someone will eventually have some info for you that you can sift through to help make your decision, I have no idea so I cant offer any advice myself.

Are you getting this?

emergencies.

have never been there.

apt/house.

try not to get to dis-heartned by some of the posters, someone will eventually have some info for you that you can sift through to help make your decision, I have no idea so I cant offer any advice myself.
Well thank you very much for the encouragement. That was very nice.

Are you getting this?

have never been there.

"Peasant food"? cheesy.gif

Just let them eat cake.

I'm currently renting 2 floor house in Kongnaray/Mueang Chanthaburi, rent is 10000thb. My rent deal end after March. Place is nice, have security, all services under 5km (big c + lotus about 10km). House is 1 year old, but have some "guaranteed fixing" in future. This is unfurnished but if someone is interest to rent this, I can sell bed etc. So I don't need to move them smile.png

I also know that in here is one floor house what is empty and currently owner will rent if find right person. It's full furnished and price is 13000Thb.

Edited by Chanthaburi

The wife and myself both lived in Chantaburi for several years and enjoyed not only the local area but also the the great beach's which have not been spoiled yet by tourist, We found the city very friendly and much cheaper too live than the other places our rent on a two bedroom fenced yard with all the fruit trees ect. was only 5k per month. The best way to find a house or apt. is spend some time there looking for the area you like then start the search for you place. The hospitals in the area are also great and the yearly visa is very easy to get in the area as once again there are not many US,UK ect. folks living in the area so visa renewals take about 5min.....Both of us were on the OA visa to start with and was very easy to get out of Houston tx.......Enjoy the area it is Great

I'm currently renting 2 floor house in Kongnaray/Mueang Chanthaburi, rent is 10000thb. My rent deal end after March. Place is nice, have security, all services under 5km (big c + lotus about 10km). House is 1 year old, but have some "guaranteed fixing" in future. This is unfurnished but if someone is interest to rent this, I can sell bed etc. So I don't need to move them smile.png

I also know that in here is one floor house what is empty and currently owner will rent if find right person. It's full furnished and price is 13000Thb.

great info thanks!!!

The wife and myself both lived in Chantaburi for several years and enjoyed not only the local area but also the the great beach's which have not been spoiled yet by tourist, We found the city very friendly and much cheaper too live than the other places our rent on a two bedroom fenced yard with all the fruit trees ect. was only 5k per month. The best way to find a house or apt. is spend some time there looking for the area you like then start the search for you place. The hospitals in the area are also great and the yearly visa is very easy to get in the area as once again there are not many US,UK ect. folks living in the area so visa renewals take about 5min.....Both of us were on the OA visa to start with and was very easy to get out of Houston tx.......Enjoy the area it is Great

Wow that is really cheap rent! Was this recent? Why did you leave? Are you in a different area of Thailand? Thanks for the info!!