Who can telll me all they know about Chanthaburi?

kanela

You will not regret living in this province. I have a housr in BKK but the last 4 years due to work i have spent most of my time in Eastern Thailand. Trat and Chathaburi are lovely provinces and the people in general are lovely.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

1. OK fair questions. My husband and I are from the U.S. currently living in Ecuador.

2. Our budget is about $1500-$1600 per month.

3. I have been struggling with Thai as I have memory issues, but I have learned the

numbers and the consonants. I can't seem to remember the vowels!!! I have started

trying to read the maanii books. Not doing so great cause of the vowels, markings &

tones. But I have been trying.

4. I don't think we would need immediate access to hospitals, but one never knows about

emergencies.

5. Hoping to not have to do the whole visa run thing. We will be applying for multi entry non-

imm O-A for my husband and non-imm O for me.

6. Never been there before. We like adventure and travel.

7. Love Thai food however we have obviously have never tried the peasant food as we

have never been there.

8. We like to kayak and I like being in the water, but it is not necessary to be right on the

water as we also like the mountains and hiking.

9. Not seeking employment and don't know what a teflr is?

10. Yes thank you I am getting this. lol

We chose Chiang Mai as our first place due to the following reasons:

1. Because it is a touristy place English would be more widespread.

2. It has all the modern conviences

3. The food looks phenomenal

4. We thought it would be a good first stop as far as acclimating ourselves to Thailand.

5. We will want to travel and see Thailand and the surrounding countries.

The negatives to Chiang Mai:

1. are we usually like to be on the outskirts of a big city in a smaller town with some

conviences. (good food, large grocery stores)

2. I have not seen the local apartments/houses but I would like a more American style place. It doesn't have to be fancy, but I would be looking for a fairly nice fully furnished

apt/house.

3. We would not be able to stay in Chiang Mai during the burning season.

Neither myself nor my husband have any interest in any whores, bar girls or anything remotely like that. It is rather disheartening that so many people on this forum automatically jump to that conclusion!! You all make it sound like that is all there is to Thailand.

Now that you know the answers I guess I could use help with the questions.

After paying rent and utilities say 15k per month, this will leave you with about 30k per month, or 500 baht per person per day.

Not something i would consider, but best of luck to you, Thailand aint cheap these days.

3. I have been struggling with Thai as I have memory issues, but I have learned the

numbers and the consonants

Believe me, you are probably more advanced in your studies than the majority who live here or post on here, well done, keep it up, it will come in time.

5. Hoping to not have to do the whole visa run thing. We will be applying for multi entry non-

I have no idea what a multi entry non imm O-A is, best you ask the question in the visa forum.

My main concern would be if it only allowed me 90 days at a time before having to do a visa run, sorry cant answer, seek expert advice in the visa forum.

My best advice would be try Chiang Mai first, reasons, your lack of Thai skills, you know no-one in Chan, CM is much more farang friendly because there are more farang around and English is much more widely spoken.

CM would be like a soft landing for you both to find your feet here.

Coming to Chan, would be like a hard landing, you would need to hit the ground running.

7. Love Thai food however we have obviously have never tried the peasant food as we

have never been there.

Believe me theres a world of difference between what the locals eat and whats sold in restaurants abroad.

These even a world of difference to whats sold in hotels and hald decent eating places here compared to whats on sale at the local market or is sold at road side eating joints.

On your budget luckily for you Chan has plenty of seasonal fruits available.

8. We like to kayak and I like being in the water, but it is not necessary to be right on the

One of the things I love about Chan, mountains in Soi Dao, or beach at Laem Sing, the further east you head the better they get.

TEFLr, teacher(?).

Good, now we are talking turkey, hope your questions are being answered.

Agreed, see previous answer.

After a fashion, but basically agree.

4. We thought it would be a good first stop as far as acclimating ourselves to Thailand.

Agreed, probably best to time your arrival in CM to land after burning season, get acclimatised then move on at the next burning season.

1. are we usually like to be on the outskirts of a big city in a smaller town with some

Whether you are in CM or Chan, you main concern will be your budget and how you much you will have to pay for the convience of having amenities at hand.

2. I have not seen the local apartments/houses but I would like a more American style place.

Dont know what you mean by American style, if you mean American style kitchen, yes but it will cost you, to be found on more upmarket rentals, probably outside your budget.

It doesn't have to be fancy, but I would be looking for a fairly nice fully furnished

apt/house.

Your main concern is your budget.

I live in a place on the outskirts of Chan, thats why my rent is cheaper, also not fully furnished, if you want to live in a modern fully furnished house on a new development, it will cost you more.

Neither myself nor my husband have any interest in any whores, bar girls or anything remotely

like that.

Neither do my wife or I, Chan over CM every day of the week for me.

Get here now before this beautiful part of the country is raped and pilaged by property developers and turned into another shithole easily found elsewhere in Thailand.

Hope I have answered them to your satisfaction, if not, keep asking we will try to accomodate you.

1. OK fair questions. My husband and I are from the U.S. currently living in Ecuador.

numbers and the consonants. I can't seem to remember the vowels!!! I have started

trying to read the maanii books. Not doing so great cause of the vowels, markings &

tones. But I have been trying.

4. I don't think we would need immediate access to hospitals, but one never knows about

emergencies.

have never been there.

We chose Chiang Mai as our first place due to the following reasons:

3. The food looks phenomenal

5. We will want to travel and see Thailand and the surrounding countries.

The negatives to Chiang Mai:

2. I have not seen the local apartments/houses but I would like a more American style place. It doesn't have to be fancy, but I would be looking for a fairly nice fully furnished

apt/house.

3. We would not be able to stay in Chiang Mai during the burning season.

Neither myself nor my husband have any interest in any whores, bar girls or anything remotely like that. It is rather disheartening that so many people on this forum automatically jump to that conclusion!! You all make it sound like that is all there is to Thailand.

After paying rent and utilities say 15k per month, this will leave you with about 30k per month, or 500 baht per person per day.

Not something i would consider, but best of luck to you, Thailand aint cheap these days.

numbers and the consonants

Believe me, you are probably more advanced in your studies than the majority who live here or post on here, well done, keep it up, it will come in time.

I have no idea what a multi entry non imm O-A is, best you ask the question in the visa forum.

My main concern would be if it only allowed me 90 days at a time before having to do a visa run, sorry cant answer, seek expert advice in the visa forum.

My best advice would be try Chiang Mai first, reasons, your lack of Thai skills, you know no-one in Chan, CM is much more farang friendly because there are more farang around and English is much more widely spoken.

CM would be like a soft landing for you both to find your feet here.

Coming to Chan, would be like a hard landing, you would need to hit the ground running.

have never been there.

Believe me theres a world of difference between what the locals eat and whats sold in restaurants abroad.

These even a world of difference to whats sold in hotels and hald decent eating places here compared to whats on sale at the local market or is sold at road side eating joints.

On your budget luckily for you Chan has plenty of seasonal fruits available.

One of the things I love about Chan, mountains in Soi Dao, or beach at Laem Sing, the further east you head the better they get.

TEFLr, teacher(?).

Good, now we are talking turkey, hope your questions are being answered.

Agreed, see previous answer.

After a fashion, but basically agree.

Agreed, probably best to time your arrival in CM to land after burning season, get acclimatised then move on at the next burning season.

Whether you are in CM or Chan, you main concern will be your budget and how you much you will have to pay for the convience of having amenities at hand.

2. I have not seen the local apartments/houses but I would like a more American style place.

Dont know what you mean by American style, if you mean American style kitchen, yes but it will cost you, to be found on more upmarket rentals, probably outside your budget.

It doesn't have to be fancy, but I would be looking for a fairly nice fully furnished

apt/house.

Your main concern is your budget.

I live in a place on the outskirts of Chan, thats why my rent is cheaper, also not fully furnished, if you want to live in a modern fully furnished house on a new development, it will cost you more.

Neither myself nor my husband have any interest in any whores, bar girls or anything remotely

like that.

Neither do my wife or I, Chan over CM every day of the week for me.

Get here now before this beautiful part of the country is raped and pilaged by property developers and turned into another shithole easily found elsewhere in Thailand.

Hope I have answered them to your satisfaction, if not, keep asking we will try to accomodate you.

Thank you for your responses. I could up my monthly expenses to 2100.00 but that would be my max. Obviously that would be better than the 15-1600 but do you think it would be good enough to live comfortably??

Agreed RG, more specific questions and there are a few of us that know the area to I've useful info.

Bloody cold over here on Koh Chang, what's Chan like as I am back there at the weekend?

Mr T, I live on the road to Wat Kao Sukim, its bloody freezing.

19 degrees this morning when I left Koh Chang. I'm in Sak Chai now, a little bit warmer 25 degrees.

In answer to post #33.

On that sort of budget that would equate to 30k per person per month, or 1,000 baht per person per day.

Define comfortable?

You wont starve, but you wont be living high on the hog.

Probably living better than most Thais, but at the bottom end for a farang style existence.

I forgot to mention, do you and your partner have motor car/motorcylce licenses in your own country, if not, get them before coming here, will make things easier.

On your sort of budget I can only assume you wont be lashing out $20-30 k on a new truck/car, its a pair of Finos for you both.

I dont know the lifestyle you lead at the moment regarding comfort, but cant imagine moving to Thailand will increase it.

If you want to lead a lifestyle basically a couple of steps up from a backbacker while you travel and explore the area, fine.

Not for me, sorry my student days are long gone.

they got good chocolate cake by the slice in chantaburi.

nutch has gone down the river.

dont listen to the big spending drug addicts.

farang/thai couples werent having any issues i could see. got offers but declined.

I'm a little confused by your post?

• Like 1

OP: Do you have access to a cash on demand account to cover emergency situations such as accident/health? You may wish to get into contact with an English speaking insurance broker or do a search on Google as it is fairly important you have cover if unable to self insure.

For a start try http://www.aainsure.net/

Best wishes for your new life in Thailand...

they got good chocolate cake by the slice in chantaburi.

nutch has gone down the river.

dont listen to the big spending drug addicts.

farang/thai couples werent having any issues i could see. got offers but declined.

I'm a little confused by your post?

Mr T, I chose to ignore, dont feed the troll.

He is either, a TEFLr, backpacker, skint pensioner or just another blow in.

He sure as heck aint living here, probably one of those muay thai types I see jogging up and down the road thinking they are the next heavyweight champion of the world.

Perhaps he could give us an insight into living here full time on 30k per month, would make pretty gruesome reading for me.

• Like 1

I've lived close to Soi Dao for five or so years. Do a lot of shopping in Chan, you can get most things but the trick is

finding the more obscure items, and getting good advice about specs of things etc as non Thai speakers you will struggle with this. However the grocery lines are limited to the more basic farang foods, you wont find much of a range of delicatessen

products for instance. There just are not the numbers of farangs to justify carrying a wider line I suppose. But fruit in season is super cheap from about the next couple of months. Last year I got rambutan for 1b per kilo. The private hospitals are

OK, I personally think the Bangkok Chantaburi Hospital over services, god forbid if there is a next time I will go to Sirivej.The traffic is bearable, the waterfalls, temples and mountains are nice, the beaches are quietish and can be an average

experience if the tide is right in or out for instance or the jellyfish are there. Usually you can find one where the

conditions aren't too bad. Cant help with the rental market.

• Like 2

persistent rumours of shark in chantaburi. anyone confirm that?

I am sure the local fisherman would have fixed that and sold it by now giggle.gif

I agree with most things said, going to bed, will pipe in tomorrow, (dam_n 2 days, off to navigate the Shinanigans of Bangkok in the morning).

It concerns me you are not talking about medical insurance, not sure your age, but factor in $150-$200USD a month Each regardless of where you end up here.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

I`ve never lived there but based on a short stay, found it to be a very pleasant friendly and laid back place.

I stayed at Gems Hotel, where there are some stands/booths selling gems on the ground floor.

That was fine, about 450 baht a night I think but they would do deal for a month, about 8K baht maybe?

Just in case you need a temporary base whilst exploring options.

GL.

smile.png

Nice thread

What are the bars like. I don't mean girlie bars I mean just regular bars to have a beer and hang out?

Nuthin' wrong with a bit of rain either!

Near "water park" have couple clubs, don't remember names, and behind "marina" strip bar with lights, there is grazy horse and one what name i don't remember, was it Orbit maybe, looks pretty decent. Then road in there, near those, what go to big gem house, there is lot of bars (between big-c and robinson) also in "old town" near river have some nice pubs. I'm sorry that I don't know street names, but i try to do next week somekind map where I can shove people some bars and really good restaurants, because most of those restaurants are "hidden" and no way that tourist or not local can never find them.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
On 1/25/2014 at 1:10 AM, Amavel said:

Worst laid out streets and signing I have ever seen on this planet. I spent a week there one day.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just spent a week there,motorbike riders in the center are bonkers,and at night took me hours driving to get out again. My wife went to a driving school there, most impressed,showed us to a near motel,took her to get a medical,and after 17 hrs of tuition passed the test and next day took her to get the licence,no extra money was asked for.????

• Like 1

Photo gives some idea why tourists may get lost in central Chan city, not a grid pattern as some are accustomed to, and once mid-city there's no obvious landmarks, can be confusing with curved streets, one-way streets, dead-end lanes, just takes time to learn one's way around

tumblr_oj0gj3WIvn1r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

Left bridge of this pic - to Robinson's shopping centre, at right - the Catholic cathedral 

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We're 15km from Chan city, since 2011, no need to go to the central city too often, just takes a few visits to become familiar with the layout

Pics below, of/from Ploy Waen 10km from the city; no large industry here; fruit, rubber; and nearer the coast fish/prawn farms

tumblr_piod086Pi21r4rbn5_1280.jpg

tumblr_piod2bcAoO1r4rbn5_1280.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2019 at 1:59 PM, gomangosteen said:

Photo gives some idea why tourists may get lost in central Chan city, not a grid pattern as some are accustomed to, and once mid-city there's no obvious landmarks, can be confusing with curved streets, one-way streets, dead-end lanes, just takes time to learn one's way around

tumblr_oj0gj3WIvn1r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

Left bridge of this pic - to Robinson's shopping centre, at right - the Catholic cathedral 

Its a river city, with canals added so yes like most river cities they take time to learn. It is great fun and amazing how you can get around once you get the layout. Best place in Thailand for overall quality of life, best that people stay away. ???? 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Fruit, jewelry and Seafood. Those are the strengths there.

There is a section there that is all sort of estuaries and canals. Good seafood some nice restaurants and some interesting views and a nice drive as I remember. Personally I would rate it nicer than Chiang Ma I.  CM may be cooler but I think it is overrated.  Air quality in CM is a problem at certain times.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

Interesting city but do avoid the weekend.  It's a popular place for middle class Thais with money and they come in their droves.  The traffic in the narrow streets of the old town can be horrific. 

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Interesting city but do avoid the weekend.  It's a popular place for middle class Thais with money and they come in their droves.  The traffic in the narrow streets of the old town can be horrific. 

Good call on the weekends.

I do all my domestic travelling during the weekdays, i'm not interested in going anywhere at weekends due to the amount of people and traffic about.

I fell sorry for people that have no choice, it does n't really seem to bother the Thais though..

• Like 1