BANGKOK 19 June 2019 15:41
kanela

Who can telll me all they know about Chanthaburi?

I`ve never lived there but based on a short stay, found it to be a very pleasant friendly and laid back place.

I stayed at Gems Hotel, where there are some stands/booths selling gems on the ground floor.

That was fine, about 450 baht a night I think but they would do deal for a month, about 8K baht maybe?

Just in case you need a temporary base whilst exploring options.

GL.

smile.png

Nice thread

What are the bars like. I don't mean girlie bars I mean just regular bars to have a beer and hang out?

Nuthin' wrong with a bit of rain either!

Nice thread

What are the bars like. I don't mean girlie bars I mean just regular bars to have a beer and hang out?

Nuthin' wrong with a bit of rain either!

Near "water park" have couple clubs, don't remember names, and behind "marina" strip bar with lights, there is grazy horse and one what name i don't remember, was it Orbit maybe, looks pretty decent. Then road in there, near those, what go to big gem house, there is lot of bars (between big-c and robinson) also in "old town" near river have some nice pubs. I'm sorry that I don't know street names, but i try to do next week somekind map where I can shove people some bars and really good restaurants, because most of those restaurants are "hidden" and no way that tourist or not local can never find them.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2014 at 1:10 AM, Amavel said:

Worst laid out streets and signing I have ever seen on this planet. I spent a week there one day.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just spent a week there,motorbike riders in the center are bonkers,and at night took me hours driving to get out again. My wife went to a driving school there, most impressed,showed us to a near motel,took her to get a medical,and after 17 hrs of tuition passed the test and next day took her to get the licence,no extra money was asked for.👍

• Like 1

An off topic post about prostitution has been removed

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Photo gives some idea why tourists may get lost in central Chan city, not a grid pattern as some are accustomed to, and once mid-city there's no obvious landmarks, can be confusing with curved streets, one-way streets, dead-end lanes, just takes time to learn one's way around

tumblr_oj0gj3WIvn1r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

Left bridge of this pic - to Robinson's shopping centre, at right - the Catholic cathedral 

Edited by gomangosteen

Stylised maps of Chan city centre showing main roads follow local geography rather than any grid pattern

chanthaburi-citymap.jpg

Chanthaburi-City-Map.gif

We're 15km from Chan city, since 2011, no need to go to the central city too often, just takes a few visits to become familiar with the layout

Pics below, of/from Ploy Waen 10km from the city; no large industry here; fruit, rubber; and nearer the coast fish/prawn farms

tumblr_piod086Pi21r4rbn5_1280.jpg

tumblr_piod2bcAoO1r4rbn5_1280.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 1:59 PM, gomangosteen said:

Photo gives some idea why tourists may get lost in central Chan city, not a grid pattern as some are accustomed to, and once mid-city there's no obvious landmarks, can be confusing with curved streets, one-way streets, dead-end lanes, just takes time to learn one's way around

tumblr_oj0gj3WIvn1r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

Left bridge of this pic - to Robinson's shopping centre, at right - the Catholic cathedral 

Its a river city, with canals added so yes like most river cities they take time to learn. It is great fun and amazing how you can get around once you get the layout. Best place in Thailand for overall quality of life, best that people stay away. 😀 

• Like 1

Fruit, jewelry and Seafood. Those are the strengths there.

There is a section there that is all sort of estuaries and canals. Good seafood some nice restaurants and some interesting views and a nice drive as I remember. Personally I would rate it nicer than Chiang Ma I.  CM may be cooler but I think it is overrated.  Air quality in CM is a problem at certain times.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Interesting city but do avoid the weekend.  It's a popular place for middle class Thais with money and they come in their droves.  The traffic in the narrow streets of the old town can be horrific. 

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Interesting city but do avoid the weekend.  It's a popular place for middle class Thais with money and they come in their droves.  The traffic in the narrow streets of the old town can be horrific. 

Good call on the weekends.

I do all my domestic travelling during the weekdays, i'm not interested in going anywhere at weekends due to the amount of people and traffic about.

I fell sorry for people that have no choice, it does n't really seem to bother the Thais though..

• Like 1