Where can you buy fresh Bluefish (USA) or Tailor (Australia) in Thailand?

pickledvegtables

The bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix) is the only extant species of the family Pomatomidae. It is a marine pelagic fish found around the world in temperate and subtropical waters, except for the northern Pacific Ocean. Bluefish are known as tailor in Australia,[1]

I am looking for sources for fresh or frozen fish such as Bluefish and Whitefish from Atlantic or Pacific North of Russia

I live near Siracha so I am centrally located between Bangkok and Pattaya.

Edited by pickledvegtables

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks. I have never seen it frozen either and at Makro it will be hit or miss as it is not in supply all of the time. I will have to depend on a photo to compare. Maybe I should get to know some fisherman.

It is mostly a sport fish. In the East coast of the US many stores carry it because it is popular baked, broiled or grilled if it is not larger then 3 kg or else it has a very strong flavor.

I use a honey brine with some citrus rum then smoke it with Alder wood. Sometimes I make a cream cheese spread with it.

Trying to find a substitute for this, not to many other fish with a high oil content here. Maybe I will try mackerel.

It was a popular and relatively plentiful fish in temperate and subtropical waters of coastal Australia which was replaced by Australian salmon (Aripus Trutta, nothing like a true salmon) in cooler southern waters.

I fished for the latter often in my younger day and all larger fish had to be bled on capture to improver the flavour.

I was told the same applied to tailor.

I would say that larger mackeral would be an adequate substitute for this type of fish along with other pelagics.

• Like 1