Fishing In Chiang Mai

lucy1

hi all, i will be staying in chiang mai next month, for quite a while. and was wondering if anyone goes fishing there, im not really interested in the big fishing parks, but would like to try a lake, or river. if anyone could give me advice, on what tackle i would need or if there is any good free\ cheap fishing places in chiang mai? i would like to hear from anyone about there fishing experiences!

thankyou.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
hi all, i will be staying in chiang mai next month, for quite a while. and was wondering if anyone goes fishing there, im not really interested in the big fishing parks, but would like to try a lake, or river. if anyone could give me advice, on what tackle i would need or if there is any good free\ cheap fishing places in chiang mai? i would like to hear from anyone about there fishing experiences!

thankyou.

I have gone fishing multiple times to a place called Bo Sang it is a fishing park and it has HUGE Mekong Catfish in the 50lb UP range and there are some monsters in there you will need strong tackele like a beachrod, I also went to the resevoir and while I saw loads surfacing I was not equipped well enough to catch them.

Edited by FarangCravings

• 7 months later...

hi to all .my name is shane im in the northern region from the 10 of december and wondering does anyone have knowledge of fishing spots have fished all over the world and will gladly travel to meet fish or chat or all of the above.i live in ireland and fish both salt fresh by all known means and some unknown?.in thailand for 5 weeks previous to fishing new zealand. good luck hope to talk.

hi to all .my name is shane im in the northern region from the 10 of december and wondering does anyone have knowledge of fishing spots have fished all over the world and will gladly travel to meet fish or chat or all of the above.i live in ireland and fish both salt fresh by all known means and some unknown?.in thailand for 5 weeks previous to fishing new zealand. good luck hope to talk.

Look up the Fishing part of the Sport Forum on TV.

Also thyere is "A Freshwater Fisherman in Thailand by Peter Jaggs which has some stuff on CM

• 10 months later...

Also thyere is "A Freshwater Fisherman in Thailand by Peter Jaggs which has some stuff on CM

A new lake is now avilable for Fishing in Chiang Mai called Teak Tree lake

post-32215-031163300 1286262635_thumb.jp

Edited by rufanuf

I stay in Chiang Mai from November to April. I fish all over northern part of Thailand. The biggest problem for foreigners is not having the right connections with the locals who DO fish. It's easy enough at the fishing parks like Bosan or Dream park, but much more difficult when fishing the big reservoirs. First, you need a boat, and secondly you need a connection with a Thai who has local knowledge of where to fish that reservoir... even if you know how to fish for the local species such as Jungle Perch and Giant snakeheads. I'm always on Thaivisa and when I get back to Thailand in November I'd be willing to pass on a few connections I know. At this time I don't want to promote something that I can't back up.

What kind of fish is that it looks nasty.

Agreed, It looks like some sort of bottom feeder. I have never seen anything like it even in my Asian species list.

Agreed, It looks like some sort of bottom feeder. I have never seen anything like it even in my Asian species list.

I agre its a bottom feeder you can see that by the tentacles or feelers near his mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Oxydorus Niger or the Ripsaw Catfish aka Plated Catfish

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Oxydoras&species=niger&id=630

Your spot on Quicksilva...Teak Tree Lake has some other species seldom seen too, like Goonch and Salween Catfish, both species capable of reaching

large sizes 50kg plus. Theres also Dorado from Argentina, not sure if they will have survided the onslaught from predators in the lake though :(

post-32215-051897900 1287375197_thumb.jp

post-32215-014037800 1287375252_thumb.jp

post-32215-008493100 1287375344_thumb.jp

http://www.seriously...es=niger&id=630

Your spot on Quicksilva...Teak Tree Lake has some other species seldom seen too, like Goonch and Salween Catfish, both species capable of reaching

large sizes 50kg plus. Theres also Dorado from Argentina, not sure if they will have survided the onslaught from predators in the lake though :(

I saw a programe recently on the Goonch a huge Catfish and thought responsible for eating humans!!!!!

I saw a programe recently on the Goonch a huge Catfish and thought responsible for eating humans!!!!!

I saw the same program its called river monsters they did an episode about rayfishing in Thailand too. I love internet downloads.

• Like 1

Look's like a very nice place and i was thinking of taking the old man there for a treat but after seeing the prices :o perhaps i'll give it a miss ;).

Look's like a very nice place and i was thinking of taking the old man there for a treat but after seeing the prices :o perhaps i'll give it a miss ;).

Same here those prices are crazy. But hey good luck for those who go there.

• 7 months later...

I saw the same program its called river monsters they did an episode about rayfishing in Thailand too. I love internet downloads.

Once when swimming about a mile out to drop a massive bait in a reservoir I began thinking about that episode.

I swam back pretty fast and decided not to do it again. Probably not a great idea in case a wild croc got in there as well.

If a big mekong catfish had bumped me I'd also have crapped my pants...

Used an inflatable boat after that. Some of the giant snakehead are also menacing and I wouldn't put biting a toe past them in defence of their young or mistaking it for a fish. :)

• Like 1

Once when swimming about a mile out to drop a massive bait in a reservoir I began thinking about that episode.

I swam back pretty fast and decided not to do it again. Probably not a great idea in case a wild croc got in there as well.

If a big mekong catfish had bumped me I'd also have crapped my pants...

Used an inflatable boat after that. Some of the giant snakehead are also menacing and I wouldn't put biting a toe past them in defence of their young or mistaking it for a fish. :)

Did you have any results this way of fishing and where was it ?